CGI.FieldStorage to HTML

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Graeme Matthew

    #1

    CGI.FieldStorage to HTML

    Hi all

    I do a CGI post, I am using CGI.FieldStorag e(), I obtain the values etc al
    works fine.

    I now need to take the same posted data and resubmit it to a remote server
    i.e I need to rebuild the entire raw html request.

    Does anyone know if you can retrieve the entire request string before
    parsing it via the cgi module? and then resubmit this to another server?


    Cheers

    Graeme




  • Michael Foord

    #2
    Re: CGI.FieldStorag e to HTML

    "Graeme Matthew" <graeme.matthew @contrado.com.a u> wrote in message news:<41454367$ 0$22811$5a62ac2 2@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au >...[color=blue]
    > Hi all
    >
    > I do a CGI post, I am using CGI.FieldStorag e(), I obtain the values etc al
    > works fine.
    >
    > I now need to take the same posted data and resubmit it to a remote server
    > i.e I need to rebuild the entire raw html request.
    >
    > Does anyone know if you can retrieve the entire request string before
    > parsing it via the cgi module? and then resubmit this to another server?
    >
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Graeme[/color]

    Before I waffle - os.environ['QUERY_STRING'] is probably the answer
    you want !!

    I've been implementing a cgi proxy recently which does exactly this.
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a way to get the entire http
    request and just proxy that because the server 'parses' it puts a lot
    of it into the environment. (For example any authentication headers
    it's impossible to retrieve from the CGI environment).

    I'm doing just what you said though and rebuilding the request from
    the FieldStorage and environment variables. At the moment I'm only
    proxying the User-Agent headers, although I might do a few more later
    though (HTTP_REFFERER etc). You can see where I've got to with
    http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantib....html#cgiproxy

    Doing 'GET' method requests is *easy*. Rebuilding 'POST' method
    requests is a bit more complicated. The code I have so far will do all
    requests except file uploads (I'm working on at the moment - will be
    ready soon) and I haven't tested it with list values (might work...
    might not). I've also just got my head around authentication (error
    401 BASIC authentication and am half way through writing the code to
    implement it).

    Something you might find useful is my http_test.py CGI. This shows you
    all the environment variables etc when you fetch a url - useful for
    working out what information you have available to you. (See
    http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantib...book.html#http I *think*
    - which also has a demo online).

    The following chunk of code shows you which environemnt variable to
    use to get the query string from 'GET' type requests.

    if os.environ.get( 'REQUEST_METHOD ','').lower()== 'post':
    # do something with post data
    thedata = fullparse(form)
    from urllib import urlencode
    txdata = urlencode(theda ta) #
    straightforward encode - need to test for/allow multipart form data
    (file upload) and list types
    elif os.environ.get( 'QUERY_STRING', '') and not
    data['id']=='mjf-approx':
    theurl = theurl + '?' + os.environ['QUERY_STRING']
    txheaders = getheaders(txhe aders) # proxy as many
    of the headers as we can


    don't worry about most of the code - but the following :
    if os.environ.get( 'REQUEST_METHOD ','').lower()== 'get':
    querystring = os.environ.get( 'QUERY_STRING', '')

    should do most of what you need...........
    (os.environ is a dictionary containing the environment variables).

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantib...thonutils.html

    Comment

    Working...