java

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Demo

    #1

    java

    What computer science concepts can I learn from Java and not from Python?
  • Steven Bethard

    #2
    Re: java

    Demo <demobudda <at> yahoo.com> writes:
    [color=blue]
    >
    > What computer science concepts can I learn from Java and not from Python?[/color]

    Mainly, things that derive from static typing:
    * Method overloading
    * Interface declarations (there are ways to simulate this in Python, but the
    effect is not identical)
    * Checked exceptions (though I'm not convinced this is really something you
    need to learn)

    I'm sure there are more, but these're what jumped into my mind. Can't say I
    really miss any of them. ;)

    Steve

    Comment

    • David Cook

      #3
      Re: java

      On 2004-09-11, Demo <demobudda@yaho o.com> wrote:
      [color=blue]
      > What computer science concepts can I learn from Java and not from Python?[/color]

      Access control (e.g. private, public, protected).

      There's also a certain pleasure in actually getting things to work in Java,
      somewhat like the pleasure, I imagine, of building ships in bottles.

      And I have to say there are some really nice open source Java projects like
      Hibernate.

      Dave Cook

      Comment

      • Peter Hansen

        #4
        Re: java

        David Cook wrote:[color=blue]
        > There's also a certain pleasure in actually getting things to work in Java,
        > somewhat like the pleasure, I imagine, of building ships in bottles.[/color]

        +1 QOTW.

        -Peter

        Comment

        • Ype Kingma

          #5
          Re: java

          David Cook wrote:
          [color=blue]
          > On 2004-09-11, Demo <demobudda@yaho o.com> wrote:
          >[color=green]
          >> What computer science concepts can I learn from Java and not from Python?[/color]
          >
          > Access control (e.g. private, public, protected).
          >
          > There's also a certain pleasure in actually getting things to work in[/color]
          Java,[color=blue]
          > somewhat like the pleasure, I imagine, of building ships in bottles.[/color]

          Yes, but these bottles are tidy.

          Java's inner (sub)classes let you create an object of
          another class, with a reference to the current object and
          some (normally small) changes.
          This allows to keep the definition of the other class tidy,
          because there is no need to add features that will be
          used in one place only.

          And you can have anonymous inner classes, too.

          Have fun,
          Ype

          Comment

          Working...