lauch browser on remote windows mach from linux python?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • gry@ll.mit.edu

    #1

    lauch browser on remote windows mach from linux python?

    My users work at windows PC's. They run my app on my linux server,
    displaying the gtk/pytgk graphics via the hummingbird/exceed X server.
    When a user clicks on a URL in my app, I want to lauch mozilla, running
    on the PC, with the specified URL. Is there some way to do this?

    [sorry, I'm a unix/linux hacker -- no understanding of MS system stuff]

    I can imagine a tiny python daemon running on each PC, listening for a
    connection on a particular port, and reading a URL from it.
    Can it just call os.system('mozi lla ...')?
    Or do I have to do some .com or .net thing?

    I know this sounds like opening a huge security hole in the PC, but
    it's MS -- isn't that where holes belong ;-). The daemon could reject
    all but appropriate local URL's.

    -- George Young

  • drs

    #2
    Re: lauch browser on remote windows mach from linux python?

    <gry@ll.mit.edu > wrote in message news:chkskn$ug4 @odbk17.prod.go ogle.com...[color=blue]
    > I want to lauch mozilla, running
    > on the PC, with the specified URL.[/color]

    * * *[color=blue]
    >
    > I can imagine a tiny python daemon running on each PC, listening for a
    > connection on a particular port, and reading a URL from it.
    > Can it just call os.system('mozi lla ...')?
    > Or do I have to do some .com or .net thing?[/color]

    similar to the method you proposed, but using pure python, you might look at
    pyro (http://pyro.sourceforge.net).

    -d


    Comment

    • Dennis Lee Bieber

      #3
      Re: lauch browser on remote windows mach from linux python?

      On 7 Sep 2004 10:54:31 -0700, gry@ll.mit.edu declaimed the following in
      comp.lang.pytho n:

      [color=blue]
      > I can imagine a tiny python daemon running on each PC, listening for a
      > connection on a particular port, and reading a URL from it.
      > Can it just call os.system('mozi lla ...')?[/color]

      On the Windows side -- use os.startfile(UR L) and let the OS
      bring up the browser configured for that type of URL.

      This does imply having the daemon locally...

      --[color=blue]
      > =============== =============== =============== =============== == <
      > wlfraed@ix.netc om.com | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <
      > wulfraed@dm.net | Bestiaria Support Staff <
      > =============== =============== =============== =============== == <
      > Home Page: <http://www.dm.net/~wulfraed/> <
      > Overflow Page: <http://wlfraed.home.ne tcom.com/> <[/color]

      Comment

      • George Kinney

        #4
        Re: lauch browser on remote windows mach from linux python?


        <gry@ll.mit.edu > wrote in message news:chkskn$ug4 @odbk17.prod.go ogle.com...
        [color=blue]
        > I can imagine a tiny python daemon running on each PC, listening for a
        > connection on a particular port, and reading a URL from it.
        > Can it just call os.system('mozi lla ...')?
        > Or do I have to do some .com or .net thing?
        >[/color]

        sure, you can do:
        os.startfile(so meURL)
        or:
        os.system('star t %s' % someURL)

        either one will invoke the configured URL handler. (browser or whatever)


        Comment

        Working...