Looking for comments on BlackAdder

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • dusty

    #1

    Looking for comments on BlackAdder

    Hi,
    I recently switched from windoze to Linux (SuSE 9.1) and want to write
    some applications (mostly for personal use). I have several years
    experience writing with Borland Delphi and now I am looking at Python.
    BlackAdder incorporates Python and QT into a application similar to
    Delphi for writing GUI applications. (I looked at Kylix and didn't
    like it)

    I wonder if BlackAdder is worth the price or would I be just as well
    off using Idle and QT Designer?

    I would appreciate any comments on BlackAdder.

    dusty
  • Marco Aschwanden

    #2
    Re: Looking for comments on BlackAdder

    > BlackAdder incorporates Python and QT into a application similar to[color=blue]
    > Delphi for writing GUI applications. I wonder if BlackAdder is worth the
    > price or would I be just as well
    > off using Idle and QT Designer?[/color]

    No, it is not worth the price (I had it). It doesn't help you much. Take a
    test ride and if YOU like it, than buy it.
    I think, you will be better off with idle and qtdesigner (or I hear eric3
    is nice).

    Comment

    • Thomas Bartkus

      #3
      Re: Looking for comments on BlackAdder

      "dusty" <noone@nowhere. com> wrote in message
      news:g89fg09hsa uqgr5er4jnv2irf 6r3ed9ten@4ax.c om...[color=blue]
      > Hi,
      > I recently switched from windoze to Linux (SuSE 9.1) and want to write
      > some applications (mostly for personal use). I have several years
      > experience writing with Borland Delphi and now I am looking at Python.
      > BlackAdder incorporates Python and QT into a application similar to
      > Delphi for writing GUI applications. (I looked at Kylix and didn't
      > like it)
      >
      > I wonder if BlackAdder is worth the price or would I be just as well
      > off using Idle and QT Designer?
      >
      > I would appreciate any comments on BlackAdder.
      >[/color]

      Can't comment on BlackAdder AND I'm still too green with Python to offer
      "intelligen t" opinions :-)
      BUT if you are looking for cross-platform development of GUI apps under
      Python, do take a look at www.wxPython.org. At first glance, wxPython looks
      like a cleaner API as well as better integration with Python.

      Note that I said GUI apps - not GUI development!
      That still remains elusive although I don't know why. The underlying
      software infrastructure seems to make it eminently doable! If I weren't so
      green with Linux and Python, I could see writing a GUI programming front end
      myself!

      It's a shame about Kylix! I had high hopes for that myself.
      Thomas Bartkus


      Comment

      • dusty

        #4
        Re: Looking for comments on BlackAdder

        On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:35:56 +0200, Marco Aschwanden
        <PPNTWIMBXFFC@s pammotel.com> wrote:
        [color=blue][color=green]
        >> BlackAdder incorporates Python and QT into a application similar to
        >> Delphi for writing GUI applications. I wonder if BlackAdder is worth the
        >> price or would I be just as well
        >> off using Idle and QT Designer?[/color]
        >
        >No, it is not worth the price (I had it). It doesn't help you much. Take a
        >test ride and if YOU like it, than buy it.
        >I think, you will be better off with idle and qtdesigner (or I hear eric3
        >is nice).[/color]

        I believe you're correct Marco. I am now looking at eric3 and seems to
        have the same features as BlackAdder and for free. Also the BlackAdder
        demo is very annoying because it has a timer that shuts it down at
        very short prescribed times, and to test anything you must repeatedly
        restart it.

        Comment

        • Jeff Wagner

          #5
          Re: Looking for comments on BlackAdder

          On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:20:30 GMT, dusty <noone@nowhere. com> wrotf:
          [color=blue]
          >Hi,
          >I recently switched from windoze to Linux (SuSE 9.1) and want to write
          >some applications (mostly for personal use). I have several years
          >experience writing with Borland Delphi and now I am looking at Python.
          >BlackAdder incorporates Python and QT into a application similar to
          >Delphi for writing GUI applications. (I looked at Kylix and didn't
          >like it)
          >
          >I wonder if BlackAdder is worth the price or would I be just as well
          >off using Idle and QT Designer?
          >
          >I would appreciate any comments on BlackAdder.
          >
          >dusty[/color]

          NO, Black Adder is NOT worth the price. I have it and there are numerous problems with that program.
          Try either ecir3 or PythonCard.

          Jeff

          Comment

          • Cliff Wells

            #6
            Re: Looking for comments on BlackAdder

            On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 13:20 +0000, dusty wrote:[color=blue]
            > Hi,
            > I recently switched from windoze to Linux (SuSE 9.1) and want to write
            > some applications (mostly for personal use). I have several years
            > experience writing with Borland Delphi and now I am looking at Python.
            > BlackAdder incorporates Python and QT into a application similar to
            > Delphi for writing GUI applications. (I looked at Kylix and didn't
            > like it)
            >
            > I wonder if BlackAdder is worth the price or would I be just as well
            > off using Idle and QT Designer?
            >
            > I would appreciate any comments on BlackAdder.[/color]

            I'm unfamiliar with BlackAdder, but you might take a look at Boa
            Constructor. I believe that its interface is modeled after Delphi.



            Regards,
            Cliff

            --
            Cliff Wells <clifford.wells @comcast.net>

            Comment

            Working...