How to build Python modules on windows?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • .

    #1

    How to build Python modules on windows?

    Hi,

    how can I build python modules on windows? I tried to build numarray[0]
    using Microsoft Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit, but got the following error:

    ---
    error: Python was built with version 7.1 of Visual Studio, and
    extensions need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but
    it isn't installed.
    ---

    So do I need to buy Visual Studio 7.1 to be able to build python modules
    on windows? That would explain why there are so few binary packages
    available. If this is true, has the python community considerred
    switching to compile the standard python distribution using the freely
    available compiler from Microsoft?

    Thanks in advance for any hints!

    Markus


    [0]: I do not need to install numarray, but find a decent way to package
    and build self-made extensions and use numarray here as an example
  • Qiangning Hong

    #2
    Re: How to build Python modules on windows?

    ". <"@bag.python.o rg wrote:[color=blue]
    > Hi,
    >
    > how can I build python modules on windows? I tried to build numarray[0]
    > using Microsoft Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit, but got the following error:
    >
    > ---
    > error: Python was built with version 7.1 of Visual Studio, and
    > extensions need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but
    > it isn't installed.
    > ---[/color]

    Are you sure you have setup the environment variables before you build?

    Here is a reference: "Building Python Extensions with the MS Toolkit
    Compiler" (http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/)

    [snip]

    --
    Qiangning Hong

    I'm usually annoyed by IDEs because, for instance, they don't use VIM
    as an editor. Since I'm hooked to that, all IDEs I've used so far have
    failed to impress me.
    -- Sybren Stuvel @ c.l.python

    Get Firefox!
    <http://www.spreadfiref ox.com/?q=affiliates&a mp;id=67907&amp ;t=1>

    Comment

    • .

      #3
      Re: How to build Python modules on windows?

      Hi,
      [color=blue][color=green]
      >>how can I build python modules on windows? I tried to build numarray[0]
      >>using Microsoft Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit, but got the following error:
      >>
      >>---
      >>error: Python was built with version 7.1 of Visual Studio, and
      >>extensions need to be built with the same version of the compiler, but
      >>it isn't installed.
      >>---[/color]
      >
      >
      > Are you sure you have setup the environment variables before you build?
      >
      > Here is a reference: "Building Python Extensions with the MS Toolkit
      > Compiler" (http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/)[/color]

      Thanks for the pointer. The page states at the beginning:

      "Note that this document represents the findings of a very limited set
      of tests with what is essentially an unsupported approach to building
      extensions. You should expect to find bugs. No warranty is made that
      the approach outlined is safe or appropriate."

      This raises the question: What is the 'supported' way of building
      extensions on Windows? Do I need Visual Studio for that?

      Thanks in advance,

      Markus

      Comment

      Working...