Protecting Sold Scripts

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • metaphysics
    New Member
    • May 2007
    • 59

    #1

    Protecting Sold Scripts

    I'm interested in selling themes for certain scripts/Bulletin Boards. I am worried, however, that once sold, I will have no control of who uses my product.

    Is there any way that I can sell a script that would not work on boards that I didn't specify they work on, while not making any modifications to the core files of the script the themes are designed for?

    I'm not necessarily looking for someone to write me up an entire script, but I would greatly appreciate general ideas or things that I could search for.

    Thanks.
  • Dormilich
    Recognized Expert Expert
    • Aug 2008
    • 8694

    #2
    see http://bytes.com/topic/php/answers/8...ode-one-domain. Though it's not exactly the same topic, I think it makes the problem pretty clear.

    regards

    Comment

    • metaphysics
      New Member
      • May 2007
      • 59

      #3
      Thank you for your response.

      That helps, but it isn't necessarily the solution I was searching for. It does provide me with some good insight on the topic, though.

      Does anyone have a solution that could better solve my problem?

      Comment

      • Markus
        Recognized Expert Expert
        • Jun 2007
        • 6092

        #4
        Originally posted by metaphysics
        Thank you for your response.

        That helps, but it isn't necessarily the solution I was searching for. It does provide me with some good insight on the topic, though.

        Does anyone have a solution that could better solve my problem?
        Because PHP is open-source, there is no reliable way of protecting it. You could, however, provide an API for websites to access the application that is hosted on your server. That way, they would never have access to the source-code and you could limit who accesses it.

        Comment

        • metaphysics
          New Member
          • May 2007
          • 59

          #5
          Interesting, thank you. I'll have to look into that.

          Comment

          Working...