multipart mime mail problem

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ceh

    #1

    multipart mime mail problem

    Hi, on windows xp I'm using

    xampp v 1.6.4

    I'm trying to send mail. The mail always sends, but the multipart
    sections are broken. Essentially, I want to send an html email that
    has a link it, like http://www.google.com so the reader can click on
    the link.

    When I get the email, the body is empty.

    It seems that No matter what I can't get multiple newlines before the
    boundry sections.
    I've tried just \n, just \r, \r\n, \r\n\r\n, \n\n and more
    variations....
    Perhaps the problem isn't the newlines?

    I had some code that worked on linux, but I've never got it to work on
    windows.

    The code and email follow.

    Can anyone tell me how to get this working?

    Thanks


    // Code Start

    <?php
    define("CRLF", chr(0x0D) . chr(0x0A));
    ?>

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

    <body>

    <?php

    $body = "From: chupper@localho st" . CRLF .
    "MIME-Version: 1.0" . CRLF .
    "Content-Type: multipart/alternative; " . CRLF .
    " boundary=\"----=_Part_15337_82 53480.119725027 5132\"" . CRLF .

    "------=_Part_15337_82 53480.119725027 5132" . CRLF .
    "Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1" . CRLF .
    "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit" . CRLF .
    "Content-Disposition: inline" . CRLF . CRLF .

    ">" . CRLF .
    "http://http://www.google.com" . CRLF .
    ">" . CRLF . CRLF .

    "------=_Part_15337_82 53480.119725027 5132" . CRLF .
    "Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" . CRLF .
    "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit" . CRLF .
    "Content-Disposition: inline" . CRLF . CRLF .

    "<a href=\"http://http://www.google.com\ "><h4>some stuff</h4></a>" .
    CRLF . CRLF .

    "------=_Part_15337_82 53480.119725027 5132--";

    mail( "chupper@localh ost", "Some subject", NULL, $body );

    ?>

    <hr>

    <textarea name="debug" rows="20" cols="80" id="id_debug" ><?php echo
    $body ?></textarea>

    </body>

    </html>

    // Code End

    I get the message with outlook express

    // Message Start

    Received: from spooler by localhost (Mercury/32 v4.01b); 10 Dec 2007
    17:28:07 -0500
    X-Envelope-To: <chupper@localh ost>
    Return-path: <chupper@localh ost>
    Received: from CLIFF (127.0.0.1) by localhost (Mercury/32 v4.01b) ID
    MG000033;
    10 Dec 2007 17:28:03 -0500
    Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:28:03 -0500
    Subject: Some subject
    To: chupper@localho st
    From: chupper@localho st
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
    boundary="----=_Part_15337_82 53480.119725027 5132"
    ------=_Part_15337_82 53480.119725027 5132
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Content-Disposition: inline------=_Part_15337_82 53480.119725027 5132
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    Content-Disposition: inline
    <a href="http://http://www.google.com" ><h4>some stuff</h4></a>
    ------=_Part_15337_82 53480.119725027 5132--


    // Message End
  • Paul Lautman

    #2
    Re: multipart mime mail problem

    ceh wrote:
    Hi, on windows xp I'm using
    >
    xampp v 1.6.4
    >
    I'm trying to send mail. The mail always sends, but the multipart
    sections are broken. Essentially, I want to send an html email that
    has a link it, like http://www.google.com so the reader can click on
    the link.
    >
    Why not use one of the many HTML email classes that are already out there in
    the internet?



    Comment

    • ceh

      #3
      Re: multipart mime mail problem

      On Dec 10, 5:38 pm, "Paul Lautman" <paul.laut...@b tinternet.com>
      wrote:
      ceh wrote:
      Hi, on windows xp I'm using
      >
      xampp v 1.6.4
      >
      I'm trying to send mail. The mail always sends, but the multipart
      sections are broken. Essentially, I want to send an html email that
      has a link it, likehttp://www.google.coms o the reader can click on
      the link.
      >
      Why not use one of the many HTML email classes that are already out there in
      the internet?
      Well, I was using an html email class that works on unix... I just
      can't get it to work on windows.

      Comment

      • ceh

        #4
        Re: multipart mime mail problem

        I seem to have this working now.

        It seems I had to enable the following line in my php.ini...
        This doesn't makes sense to me though because it says for unix only

        ; For Unix only. You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail
        -t -i").
        sendmail_path = "d:\xampp\sendm ail\sendmail.ex e -t"

        Additionally, if I ran a local smtp server before this change, the
        mails were routed, they were just broken.

        I also read elsewhere that php mail talks directly to the mta. This
        implies to me the smtp server. perhaps that's an incorrect
        assumption.

        So, why is it I need to use the local sendmail exe when the php mail
        call was working, at least sending email without it?

        Thanks

        Comment

        • Manuel Lemos

          #5
          Re: multipart mime mail problem

          Hello,

          on 12/10/2007 08:55 PM ceh said the following:
          On Dec 10, 5:38 pm, "Paul Lautman" <paul.laut...@b tinternet.com>
          wrote:
          >ceh wrote:
          >>Hi, on windows xp I'm using
          >>xampp v 1.6.4
          >>I'm trying to send mail. The mail always sends, but the multipart
          >>sections are broken. Essentially, I want to send an html email that
          >>has a link it, likehttp://www.google.coms o the reader can click on
          >>the link.
          >Why not use one of the many HTML email classes that are already out there in
          >the internet?
          >
          Well, I was using an html email class that works on unix... I just
          can't get it to work on windows.
          You may want to try this very popular class that works under anything
          and deals with line breaks correctly:

          http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage


          --

          Regards,
          Manuel Lemos

          Metastorage - Data object relational mapping layer generator


          PHP Classes - Free ready to use OOP components written in PHP
          http://www.phpclasses.org/

          Comment

          Working...