fopen() and fgetcsv()

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mantrid

    #1

    fopen() and fgetcsv()

    I am using fopen() and fgetcsv() to open an excel file and extract data for
    upload to mysql database. The doesnt seem to be a parameter in either of
    these functions for ommitting the first row of the excel file. I am
    currently using While ...... statement to read the rows and do things with
    them. Can I ommit the first line without replacing my 'While....' loop with
    a 'For......' loop?

    Ian


  • Michael

    #2
    Re: fopen() and fgetcsv()

    mantrid wrote:
    I am using fopen() and fgetcsv() to open an excel file and extract data for
    upload to mysql database. The doesnt seem to be a parameter in either of
    these functions for ommitting the first row of the excel file. I am
    currently using While ...... statement to read the rows and do things with
    them. Can I ommit the first line without replacing my 'While....' loop with
    a 'For......' loop?
    >
    Ian
    >
    >
    Certainly, take your pick, both should work fine:

    $i = 0;
    while ($i++ && false !== $data = fgetcsv($fh, 1024)) {
    if ($i == 1)
    continue;
    print_r($data);
    }


    $firstline = true;
    while (false !== $data = fgetcsv($fh, 1024)) {
    if ($firstline == true) {
    $firstline = false;
    continue;
    }
    print_r($data);
    }


    - Michael

    Comment

    • Rik Wasmus

      #3
      Re: fopen() and fgetcsv()

      On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:29:44 +0100, mantrid <ian.dandav@vir gin.netwrote:
      I am using fopen() and fgetcsv() to open an excel file and extract data
      for
      upload to mysql database. The doesnt seem to be a parameter in either of
      these functions for ommitting the first row of the excel file. I am
      currently using While ...... statement to read the rows and do things
      with
      them. Can I ommit the first line without replacing my 'While....' loop
      with
      a 'For......' loop?
      By discarding the first row before the while loop?

      $fh = fopen(...);
      fgetcsv($fh);
      while($row = fgetcsv($fh)){
      //stuff...
      }
      --
      Rik Wasmus

      Comment

      • Olaf Schinkel

        #4
        Re: fopen() and fgetcsv()

        mantrid schrieb:
        I am using fopen() and fgetcsv() to open an excel file and extract data for
        upload to mysql database. The doesnt seem to be a parameter in either of
        these functions for ommitting the first row of the excel file. I am
        currently using While ...... statement to read the rows and do things with
        them. Can I ommit the first line without replacing my 'While....' loop with
        a 'For......' loop?
        >
        Ian
        >
        >
        Remove the first line....
        $fh = fopen(...

        fgets($fh); <- only insert this line into your code

        while(...


        Olaf

        Comment

        • C.

          #5
          Re: fopen() and fgetcsv()

          On 7 Dec, 13:05, Olaf Schinkel <tr...@schinkel .tvwrote:
          mantrid schrieb:I am using fopen() and fgetcsv() to open an excel file and extract data for
          upload to mysql database. The doesnt seem to be a parameter in either of
          these functions for ommitting the first row of the excel file. I am
          currently using While ...... statement to read the rows and do things with
          them. Can I ommit the first line without replacing my 'While....' loop with
          a 'For......' loop?
          >
          Ian
          >
          Remove the first line....
          $fh = fopen(...
          >
          fgets($fh); <- only insert this line into your code
          >
          while(...
          >
          Olaf
          I suspect if I suggested that validating the record with a regex
          instead of using positional information might be more appropriate I'd
          just confuse people. So I won't.

          C.

          Comment

          • mantrid

            #6
            Re: fopen() and fgetcsv()

            thank you everyone

            "mantrid" <ian.dandav@vir gin.netwrote in message
            news:YYY5j.2742 $1j1.2444@newsf e7-gui.ntli.net...
            I am using fopen() and fgetcsv() to open an excel file and extract data
            for
            upload to mysql database. The doesnt seem to be a parameter in either of
            these functions for ommitting the first row of the excel file. I am
            currently using While ...... statement to read the rows and do things
            with
            them. Can I ommit the first line without replacing my 'While....' loop
            with
            a 'For......' loop?
            >
            Ian
            >
            >

            Comment

            Working...