How do I create setup & deployment for n-tier multi-project soln?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • surfdog58

    #1

    How do I create setup & deployment for n-tier multi-project soln?

    Need to build complete deployment package for a multi-project enterprise soln
    consisting of 3 web apps, 20+ web services, 2 windows services, 61 component
    dll's and 4 databases.
    Everything except the databases are in one Build Solution.
    Project Output must be structured into unified Application Space with
    folders for webs and winservices in order to allow instancing on the
    middleware server.
    MyEnterpise/Instance1
    Services/
    Service1
    Service2
    Webs/
    WebApp1/bin/component dlls
    WebApp2/bin/component dlls
    WebServiceConta iner/*.asmx

    Note: webs do not go to 'Default Web Site' in IIS

    Currently building 3rd generation Install of this product for national
    customer base using Wise 8.0 and in house .net utilities to configure IIS,
    install win services, setup security model etc... This is a kludge and would
    prefer a modular Entreprise Type Install similar to the VSNET Install. How
    can I go about designing and implementing this?
  • Kevin Yu [MSFT]

    #2
    RE: How do I create setup & deployment for n-tier multi-project soln?

    Hi,

    First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From
    your description, I understand that you need to know how to create
    installation package to deploy your enterprise solution. If there is any
    misunderstandin g, please feel free to let me know.

    It is a hard mission to create setup packages to deploy so many projects.
    Here I have found some walkthoughs and documents on deploying all kinds of
    projects on windows platform. Hope this helps.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/vsintro7/ht
    ml/vbcondeployment scenarios.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...E2D-D03F-4B19-
    9025-6B87E6AE0DA6&di splaylang=en

    The following link contains all information about deployment. You can find
    what you need from it.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/vsintro7/ht
    ml/vboriDeployment InVisualStudio. asp

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights."

    Comment

    • surfdog58

      #3
      RE: How do I create setup & deployment for n-tier multi-project so

      Kevin,
      I work for a large financial software company. We produce many solutions for
      banks and financial institutions - Windows based Sales and Teller front ends,
      middleware engines, plus back end core systems that run on AS400s. The
      installation I am describing is for the middleware servers in an n-tier
      solution. I am familiar with the hello world examples that are in the links
      you provided. They are not architected for the complexity of a true
      enterprise solution that requires security and network modeling etc. I know
      this is not a cookie cutter type question and I really looking for a more in
      depth response. The look and feel of the VSNet Installation is what we are
      trying to get to.
      tia,
      surfdog

      "Kevin Yu [MSFT]" wrote:
      [color=blue]
      > Hi,
      >
      > First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From
      > your description, I understand that you need to know how to create
      > installation package to deploy your enterprise solution. If there is any
      > misunderstandin g, please feel free to let me know.
      >
      > It is a hard mission to create setup packages to deploy so many projects.
      > Here I have found some walkthoughs and documents on deploying all kinds of
      > projects on windows platform. Hope this helps.
      >
      > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/vsintro7/ht
      > ml/vbcondeployment scenarios.asp
      >
      > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...E2D-D03F-4B19-
      > 9025-6B87E6AE0DA6&di splaylang=en
      >
      > The following link contains all information about deployment. You can find
      > what you need from it.
      >
      > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/vsintro7/ht
      > ml/vboriDeployment InVisualStudio. asp
      >
      > Kevin Yu
      > =======
      > "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
      > rights."
      >
      >[/color]

      Comment

      • surfdog58

        #4
        RE: How do I create setup & deployment for n-tier multi-project so

        Kevin,
        I work for a large financial software company. We produce many solutions for
        banks and financial institutions - Windows based Sales and Teller front ends,
        middleware engines, plus back end core systems that run on AS400s. The
        installation I am describing is for the middleware servers in an n-tier
        solution. I am familiar with the hello world examples that are in the links
        you provided. They are not architected for the complexity of a true
        enterprise solution that requires security and network modeling etc. I know
        this is not a cookie cutter type question and I really looking for a more in
        depth response. The look and feel of the VSNet Installation is what we are
        trying to get to.
        tia,
        surfdog

        "Kevin Yu [MSFT]" wrote:
        [color=blue]
        > Hi,
        >
        > First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From
        > your description, I understand that you need to know how to create
        > installation package to deploy your enterprise solution. If there is any
        > misunderstandin g, please feel free to let me know.
        >
        > It is a hard mission to create setup packages to deploy so many projects.
        > Here I have found some walkthoughs and documents on deploying all kinds of
        > projects on windows platform. Hope this helps.
        >
        > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/vsintro7/ht
        > ml/vbcondeployment scenarios.asp
        >
        > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...E2D-D03F-4B19-
        > 9025-6B87E6AE0DA6&di splaylang=en
        >
        > The following link contains all information about deployment. You can find
        > what you need from it.
        >
        > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/vsintro7/ht
        > ml/vboriDeployment InVisualStudio. asp
        >
        > Kevin Yu
        > =======
        > "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
        > rights."
        >
        >[/color]

        Comment

        • Kevin Yu [MSFT]

          #5
          RE: How do I create setup & deployment for n-tier multi-project so

          Hi surfdog,

          I'm sorry but this is only what I can find for setup project. I'm also not
          quite experienced for setup projects. For setup issues, you can try to post
          in microsoft.publi c.dotnet.framew ork.setup newsgroup besides posting here.
          There will be more professionals who can give you more information and
          suggestions in this aspect. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for your
          understanding.

          Kevin Yu
          =======
          "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
          rights."

          Comment

          Working...