Deploying webservice

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Peter Schmitz

    #1

    Deploying webservice

    Hi,

    I just created my first .net web service and now I want to create an
    installation program for it. That's why I added a WebSetup project to my
    current solution and added the primary output of my web service project to it.
    But when I run this setup on a different computer (with IIS of course) the
    whole thing does not seem to work properly: Only the main Dll of my service
    is copied - and AFAIK this isn't sufficient. So:

    - What files exactly are needed to run my webservice? And what are the
    correct locations for them?

    - Isn't there any possibility to automatically generate a matching setup for
    a .net webservice?

    Thanks a lot
    Peter

  • Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

    #2
    Re: Deploying webservice

    Hi Peter,

    To deploy a simple Web service, you probably only need to copy the
    web.config, *.asmx, and .DLL files. You need to put the DLLs into the \bin
    directory, the rest in the root of the virtual directory.

    I found this to be a good product for IIS installs

    InstallAnywhere delivers professional multi platform installations. Reliable installations for Windows, Linux, Apple, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, and IBM.


    "Peter Schmitz" <PeterSchmitz@d iscussions.micr osoft.com> wrote in message
    news:C199AAE0-2E38-44E4-A2D0-9F7AD327AF02@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just created my first .net web service and now I want to create an
    > installation program for it. That's why I added a WebSetup project to my
    > current solution and added the primary output of my web service project to
    > it.
    > But when I run this setup on a different computer (with IIS of course) the
    > whole thing does not seem to work properly: Only the main Dll of my
    > service
    > is copied - and AFAIK this isn't sufficient. So:
    >
    > - What files exactly are needed to run my webservice? And what are the
    > correct locations for them?
    >
    > - Isn't there any possibility to automatically generate a matching setup
    > for
    > a .net webservice?
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    > Peter
    >[/color]

    Comment

    • Peter Schmitz

      #3
      Re: Deploying webservice

      Thanks for replying!

      I did just what you said and then created a new virtual directory that
      points directly at the directory that contains all necessary files. But when
      I enter "http://localhost/MyFirst/MyFirst.asmx" into the browsers address box
      on the local computer, I receive a HTTP 404 error.....

      Thanks
      Peter





      "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" wrote:
      [color=blue]
      > Hi Peter,
      >
      > To deploy a simple Web service, you probably only need to copy the
      > web.config, *.asmx, and .DLL files. You need to put the DLLs into the \bin
      > directory, the rest in the root of the virtual directory.
      >
      > I found this to be a good product for IIS installs
      >
      > http://www.zerog.com/products_ianet.shtml
      >
      > "Peter Schmitz" <PeterSchmitz@d iscussions.micr osoft.com> wrote in message
      > news:C199AAE0-2E38-44E4-A2D0-9F7AD327AF02@mi crosoft.com...[color=green]
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I just created my first .net web service and now I want to create an
      > > installation program for it. That's why I added a WebSetup project to my
      > > current solution and added the primary output of my web service project to
      > > it.
      > > But when I run this setup on a different computer (with IIS of course) the
      > > whole thing does not seem to work properly: Only the main Dll of my
      > > service
      > > is copied - and AFAIK this isn't sufficient. So:
      > >
      > > - What files exactly are needed to run my webservice? And what are the
      > > correct locations for them?
      > >
      > > - Isn't there any possibility to automatically generate a matching setup
      > > for
      > > a .net webservice?
      > >
      > > Thanks a lot
      > > Peter
      > >[/color]
      >
      >[/color]

      Comment

      Working...