SizeGrip Location

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ron Ford

    #1

    SizeGrip Location

    I am trying to force my users into using a sizegrip instead of a horizontal
    or vertical border when resiziing a form.
    I haven't been able to test when the mouse is over the size grip area.
    Is it possilbe?
    --
    Thanks for your help.
  • Helge Jensen

    #2
    Re: SizeGrip Location

    Ron Ford wrote:[color=blue]
    > I am trying to force my users into using a sizegrip instead of a horizontal
    > or vertical border when resiziing a form.[/color]

    I bet they can't wait until that functionality is available to them :)

    --
    Helge

    Comment

    • Ron Ford

      #3
      Re: SizeGrip Location

      I have a fairly complex form that needs to maintain its proportionality , and
      that of its controls, when resized.
      I can preserve this in code, but it makes for a 'jerky' resizing if they
      drag the vertical border to widen the form, and the form then resizes the
      vertical height to preserve the starting proportions. Much smoother if the
      sizegrip is used.
      There doesn't seem to be anyway in this instance to use anchoring or docking
      to achieve the effect I need.

      I'm new to the C# .NET and I don't know how to correctly turn off the
      resizing until the user stops dragging a border. I guess this could improve
      the action.

      "Helge Jensen" wrote:
      [color=blue]
      > Ron Ford wrote:[color=green]
      > > I am trying to force my users into using a sizegrip instead of a horizontal
      > > or vertical border when resiziing a form.[/color]
      >
      > I bet they can't wait until that functionality is available to them :)
      >
      > --
      > Helge
      >[/color]

      Comment

      • Mark Rockmann

        #4
        Re: SizeGrip Location

        "Ron Ford" <RonFord@discus sions.microsoft .com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
        news:BF33E185-5D79-47DA-B629-93B87206DDB4@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
        >I have a fairly complex form that needs to maintain its proportionality ,
        >and
        > that of its controls, when resized.[/color]

        Generally, you should design your software *for* the user, not *force* your
        users to adapt to your software. They won't like it, and probably won't use
        it.

        Try redesigning your forms/controls, so they can work at any size ratios. Or
        make the form/control not resizable at all. There is no shame in that.

        Mark Rockmann


        Comment

        • Ron Ford

          #5
          Re: SizeGrip Location

          I agree, but not sure if preventing resizing would handle the problem of
          different display settings, and aging users who like things a bit larger.

          What I am really after is a way to determine when the cursor changes to a
          sizing cursor (i.e. one of the double arrows). However, when the mouse
          leaves the form I loose the ability to test for the cursor type. This would
          allow me to determine when the user is resizing the form.

          Thanks for input.

          "Mark Rockmann" wrote:
          [color=blue]
          > "Ron Ford" <RonFord@discus sions.microsoft .com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
          > news:BF33E185-5D79-47DA-B629-93B87206DDB4@mi crosoft.com...[color=green]
          > >I have a fairly complex form that needs to maintain its proportionality ,
          > >and
          > > that of its controls, when resized.[/color]
          >
          > Generally, you should design your software *for* the user, not *force* your
          > users to adapt to your software. They won't like it, and probably won't use
          > it.
          >
          > Try redesigning your forms/controls, so they can work at any size ratios. Or
          > make the form/control not resizable at all. There is no shame in that.
          >
          > Mark Rockmann
          >
          >
          >[/color]

          Comment

          Working...