C# How do I start programming in it?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dave

    #1

    C# How do I start programming in it?!

    I have been told C# can be installed for free as long as you don't use visual studio. I am a student and need c# programmin
    language for an assignment I'm doing

    I have installed .net Framework 1.1 23mb file and .NET sdk approx 100 mb file. I have an overview, samples, quickstar
    tutorials, tools and documentation

    Please tell me what else I need to install in order to program in C# and where to get it. A step by step explanatio
    of how to setup my computer to program in c# would be greatly appreciated

    Perhaps I could already have what I need but just don't know how to start programming in C#. If that is the case then tell me how to start programming in C#. Also tell me whether I need to change the path in DOS and how to do this.
  • Peter van der Goes

    #2
    Re: C# How do I start programming in it?!


    "Dave" <freelancer9879 @eudoramail.com > wrote in message
    news:461E6994-2DEC-4780-AA41-D8A22E0CA100@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
    > I have been told C# can be installed for free as long as you don't use[/color]
    visual studio. I am a student and need c# programming[color=blue]
    > language for an assignment I'm doing.
    >
    > I have installed .net Framework 1.1 23mb file and .NET sdk approx 100 mb[/color]
    file. I have an overview, samples, quickstart[color=blue]
    > tutorials, tools and documentation.
    >
    > Please tell me what else I need to install in order to program in C# and[/color]
    where to get it. A step by step explanation[color=blue]
    > of how to setup my computer to program in c# would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Perhaps I could already have what I need but just don't know how to start[/color]
    programming in C#. If that is the case then tell me how to start programming
    in C#. Also tell me whether I need to change the path in DOS and how to do
    this.

    Here's a good place to start. You've got the C# compiler already.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ommandLine.asp

    Have fun :-)

    --
    Peter [MVP Academic]


    Comment

    • Peter van der Goes

      #3
      Re: C# How do I start programming in it?!


      "Dave" <freelancer9879 @eudoramail.com > wrote in message
      news:461E6994-2DEC-4780-AA41-D8A22E0CA100@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
      > I have been told C# can be installed for free as long as you don't use[/color]
      visual studio. I am a student and need c# programming[color=blue]
      > language for an assignment I'm doing.
      >
      > I have installed .net Framework 1.1 23mb file and .NET sdk approx 100 mb[/color]
      file. I have an overview, samples, quickstart[color=blue]
      > tutorials, tools and documentation.
      >
      > Please tell me what else I need to install in order to program in C# and[/color]
      where to get it. A step by step explanation[color=blue]
      > of how to setup my computer to program in c# would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Perhaps I could already have what I need but just don't know how to start[/color]
      programming in C#. If that is the case then tell me how to start programming
      in C#. Also tell me whether I need to change the path in DOS and how to do
      this.

      Here's a good place to start. You've got the C# compiler already.

      http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ommandLine.asp

      Have fun :-)

      --
      Peter [MVP Academic]


      Comment

      • Klaus H. Probst

        #4
        Re: C# How do I start programming in it?!

        Grab your favorite text editor and start coding =)

        If you already have the .NET framework SDK then you're all set. To get
        started just create a new file, say, "myapp.cs" and type some simple code
        into it:

        using System;

        class MyConsoleApp
        {
        public static void Main(string[] args) {
        Console.WriteLi ne("Hello, world!");
        }
        }

        I believe the SDK has a file called "vsvars32.b at" that you can run to
        create the environment you need to build without changing the path. Run it,
        navigate to the folder where your .cs file and enter something like

        csc.exe /target:exe myapp.cs

        This should generate "myapp.exe" in the same folder.

        Everything is downhill from there =)


        --
        _______________ _____
        Klaus H. Probst, MVP



        "Dave" <freelancer9879 @eudoramail.com > wrote in message
        news:461E6994-2DEC-4780-AA41-D8A22E0CA100@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
        > I have been told C# can be installed for free as long as you don't use[/color]
        visual studio. I am a student and need c# programming[color=blue]
        > language for an assignment I'm doing.
        >
        > I have installed .net Framework 1.1 23mb file and .NET sdk approx 100 mb[/color]
        file. I have an overview, samples, quickstart[color=blue]
        > tutorials, tools and documentation.
        >
        > Please tell me what else I need to install in order to program in C# and[/color]
        where to get it. A step by step explanation[color=blue]
        > of how to setup my computer to program in c# would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Perhaps I could already have what I need but just don't know how to start[/color]
        programming in C#. If that is the case then tell me how to start programming
        in C#. Also tell me whether I need to change the path in DOS and how to do
        this.


        Comment

        • Klaus H. Probst

          #5
          Re: C# How do I start programming in it?!

          Grab your favorite text editor and start coding =)

          If you already have the .NET framework SDK then you're all set. To get
          started just create a new file, say, "myapp.cs" and type some simple code
          into it:

          using System;

          class MyConsoleApp
          {
          public static void Main(string[] args) {
          Console.WriteLi ne("Hello, world!");
          }
          }

          I believe the SDK has a file called "vsvars32.b at" that you can run to
          create the environment you need to build without changing the path. Run it,
          navigate to the folder where your .cs file and enter something like

          csc.exe /target:exe myapp.cs

          This should generate "myapp.exe" in the same folder.

          Everything is downhill from there =)


          --
          _______________ _____
          Klaus H. Probst, MVP



          "Dave" <freelancer9879 @eudoramail.com > wrote in message
          news:461E6994-2DEC-4780-AA41-D8A22E0CA100@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
          > I have been told C# can be installed for free as long as you don't use[/color]
          visual studio. I am a student and need c# programming[color=blue]
          > language for an assignment I'm doing.
          >
          > I have installed .net Framework 1.1 23mb file and .NET sdk approx 100 mb[/color]
          file. I have an overview, samples, quickstart[color=blue]
          > tutorials, tools and documentation.
          >
          > Please tell me what else I need to install in order to program in C# and[/color]
          where to get it. A step by step explanation[color=blue]
          > of how to setup my computer to program in c# would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Perhaps I could already have what I need but just don't know how to start[/color]
          programming in C#. If that is the case then tell me how to start programming
          in C#. Also tell me whether I need to change the path in DOS and how to do
          this.


          Comment

          • Tom Shelton

            #6
            Re: C# How do I start programming in it?!

            On 2004-04-15, Dave <freelancer9879 @eudoramail.com > wrote:[color=blue]
            > I have been told C# can be installed for free as long as you don't use visual studio. I am a student and need c# programming
            > language for an assignment I'm doing.
            >
            > I have installed .net Framework 1.1 23mb file and .NET sdk approx 100 mb file. I have an overview, samples, quickstart
            > tutorials, tools and documentation.
            >
            > Please tell me what else I need to install in order to program in C# and where to get it. A step by step explanation
            > of how to setup my computer to program in c# would be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Perhaps I could already have what I need but just don't know how to start programming in C#. If that is the case then tell me how to start programming in C#. Also tell me whether I need to change the path in DOS and how to do this.[/color]


            The .NET framework SDK is all you really need. You can use the command
            line to compile your applications and write your code in your favorite
            text editor....

            But, might I suggest you check out SharpDevelop? It has a graphical
            form designer, intellisense, code completion, syntax highlighting, etc.
            It was writen in C#, and the best part it's free.

            ICSharpCode has 21 repositories available. Follow their code on GitHub.


            HTH
            --
            Tom Shelton [MVP]
            Powered By Gentoo Linux 1.4
            "I don't know, " said the voice on the PA, "apathetic
            bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all. "

            Comment

            • Tom Shelton

              #7
              Re: C# How do I start programming in it?!

              On 2004-04-15, Dave <freelancer9879 @eudoramail.com > wrote:[color=blue]
              > I have been told C# can be installed for free as long as you don't use visual studio. I am a student and need c# programming
              > language for an assignment I'm doing.
              >
              > I have installed .net Framework 1.1 23mb file and .NET sdk approx 100 mb file. I have an overview, samples, quickstart
              > tutorials, tools and documentation.
              >
              > Please tell me what else I need to install in order to program in C# and where to get it. A step by step explanation
              > of how to setup my computer to program in c# would be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Perhaps I could already have what I need but just don't know how to start programming in C#. If that is the case then tell me how to start programming in C#. Also tell me whether I need to change the path in DOS and how to do this.[/color]


              The .NET framework SDK is all you really need. You can use the command
              line to compile your applications and write your code in your favorite
              text editor....

              But, might I suggest you check out SharpDevelop? It has a graphical
              form designer, intellisense, code completion, syntax highlighting, etc.
              It was writen in C#, and the best part it's free.

              ICSharpCode has 21 repositories available. Follow their code on GitHub.


              HTH
              --
              Tom Shelton [MVP]
              Powered By Gentoo Linux 1.4
              "I don't know, " said the voice on the PA, "apathetic
              bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all. "

              Comment

              Working...