MSI installation help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Raj

    #1

    MSI installation help

    Hi,

    I am new to .net and win32 programming in general. I am looking for
    some simple documentation on how to package a .net application as an
    MSI. Within that MSI I need to perform several gacutil & regasm tasks.
    I need this urgently. Could anybody guide me through a simple set of
    steps. Most of the documentation I have found is too verbose and much
    more information that I need.

    Thanks in advance

    Raj
  • Cor

    #2
    Re: MSI installation help

    Hi Raj,

    If you have Visual.studio.n et it is a function called setup and deployment
    projects. Do you use that?

    Cor[color=blue]
    > I am new to .net and win32 programming in general. I am looking for
    > some simple documentation on how to package a .net application as an
    > MSI. Within that MSI I need to perform several gacutil & regasm tasks.
    > I need this urgently. Could anybody guide me through a simple set of
    > steps. Most of the documentation I have found is too verbose and much
    > more information that I need.[/color]


    Comment

    • Phil Wilson

      #3
      Re: MSI installation help

      The big question is what you're using to build your setup. Capabilities differ
      between VS setup projects and products from InstallShield, Wise, ZeroG, etc etc.
      Generally speaking, in MSI setups you don't need gacutil (it's not part of the
      framework's runtime and therefore not on client systems anyway) and you probably
      don't need regasm either (because the tools extract the corresponding
      registration into the MSI file).
      --
      Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
      ----
      "Raj" <raj1q2w@yahoo. com> wrote in message
      news:973a2213.0 402012040.3c0bf 3ca@posting.goo gle.com...[color=blue]
      > Hi,
      >
      > I am new to .net and win32 programming in general. I am looking for
      > some simple documentation on how to package a .net application as an
      > MSI. Within that MSI I need to perform several gacutil & regasm tasks.
      > I need this urgently. Could anybody guide me through a simple set of
      > steps. Most of the documentation I have found is too verbose and much
      > more information that I need.
      >
      > Thanks in advance
      >
      > Raj[/color]


      Comment

      • Raj

        #4
        Re: MSI installation help

        I dont have any of the products you mention. I only use VS .NET. I see
        that gacutil and regasm are a part of XP OS even if VS .net is not
        there. I can currently install the application using standard scripts.
        I want to be able to do the same using an MSI. Am I missing something?

        Raj

        "Phil Wilson" <phil.wilson@un isys.spamcom> wrote in message news:<#XPLosb6D HA.1664@TK2MSFT NGP11.phx.gbl>. ..[color=blue]
        > The big question is what you're using to build your setup. Capabilities differ
        > between VS setup projects and products from InstallShield, Wise, ZeroG, etc etc.
        > Generally speaking, in MSI setups you don't need gacutil (it's not part of the
        > framework's runtime and therefore not on client systems anyway) and you probably
        > don't need regasm either (because the tools extract the corresponding
        > registration into the MSI file).
        > --
        > Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
        > ----
        > "Raj" <raj1q2w@yahoo. com> wrote in message
        > news:973a2213.0 402012040.3c0bf 3ca@posting.goo gle.com...[color=green]
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I am new to .net and win32 programming in general. I am looking for
        > > some simple documentation on how to package a .net application as an
        > > MSI. Within that MSI I need to perform several gacutil & regasm tasks.
        > > I need this urgently. Could anybody guide me through a simple set of
        > > steps. Most of the documentation I have found is too verbose and much
        > > more information that I need.
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance
        > >
        > > Raj[/color][/color]

        Comment

        • Phil Wilson

          #5
          Re: MSI installation help

          At

          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...plications.asp

          the short topic Add COM Registration for the .NET Component explains that you
          can add registration using vsdrpCOM, which extracts into the MSI file the same
          entries that regasm would create, so it just works. So you don' need regasm to
          register .NET COM interop (I think VS runs regasm to get the registration data
          at build time).

          Gacutil isn't distributed with the runtime, so you can't rely on it being on a
          client system. It was not in the 1.0 redist, but for some reason it showed up in
          SP2 to the 1.0 redist, but it is not part of the 1.1 redist. To install
          something in the GAC, right-click on File System on Target Machine in VS setup
          project File System, and do the Add Special Folder. If you think that you need
          to put something ion the GAC for COM interop, you don't need to. Maintaining and
          updating new versions of .NET COM interop assemblies in the GAC is tricky. Just
          install the assembly into the application folder, and you'll get the equivalent
          to a regasm /codebase with no need to use the GAC.
          --
          Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
          ----
          "Raj" <raj1q2w@yahoo. com> wrote in message
          news:973a2213.0 402030319.1594c 265@posting.goo gle.com...[color=blue]
          > I dont have any of the products you mention. I only use VS .NET. I see
          > that gacutil and regasm are a part of XP OS even if VS .net is not
          > there. I can currently install the application using standard scripts.
          > I want to be able to do the same using an MSI. Am I missing something?
          >
          > Raj
          >
          > "Phil Wilson" <phil.wilson@un isys.spamcom> wrote in message[/color]
          news:<#XPLosb6D HA.1664@TK2MSFT NGP11.phx.gbl>. ..[color=blue][color=green]
          > > The big question is what you're using to build your setup. Capabilities[/color][/color]
          differ[color=blue][color=green]
          > > between VS setup projects and products from InstallShield, Wise, ZeroG, etc[/color][/color]
          etc.[color=blue][color=green]
          > > Generally speaking, in MSI setups you don't need gacutil (it's not part of[/color][/color]
          the[color=blue][color=green]
          > > framework's runtime and therefore not on client systems anyway) and you[/color][/color]
          probably[color=blue][color=green]
          > > don't need regasm either (because the tools extract the corresponding
          > > registration into the MSI file).
          > > --
          > > Phil Wilson [MVP Windows Installer]
          > > ----
          > > "Raj" <raj1q2w@yahoo. com> wrote in message
          > > news:973a2213.0 402012040.3c0bf 3ca@posting.goo gle.com...[color=darkred]
          > > > Hi,
          > > >
          > > > I am new to .net and win32 programming in general. I am looking for
          > > > some simple documentation on how to package a .net application as an
          > > > MSI. Within that MSI I need to perform several gacutil & regasm tasks.
          > > > I need this urgently. Could anybody guide me through a simple set of
          > > > steps. Most of the documentation I have found is too verbose and much
          > > > more information that I need.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks in advance
          > > >
          > > > Raj[/color][/color][/color]



          Comment

          Working...