SQL Server does not exist, Access denied

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jayman9782
    New Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 10

    #1

    SQL Server does not exist, Access denied

    Hey all,
    I'm having a common problem under different circumstances. A little background information: I am running an "in-house" ASP web application in .NET 1.1 with a back-end in SQL Server 2000. The application is on a separate server from the SQL server. About 99% of the time users are able to sucessfully log into the SQL server and the other 1% of the time they get this nasty message "SQL Server does not Exist or Access Denied". When I get the dreaded call that it's "down" I simply remove the entire directory from the webserver and repost a copy of the application directory in place of it...and voila, it works...until the message comes up again. When this occurs, the logon page is displayed, but the first hit to the server (when logging on) produces this message. I'm sure it's not the SQL Server due to the fact that we have another application with the same setup running fine. I've looked into all the issue with IIS to no avail. Any ideas?
    Thanks alot in advance,
    Jason
  • frist44
    New Member
    • Mar 2008
    • 4

    #2
    this is a long shot, but how is your application authenticating to SQL? Through windows, or though SQL authentication. I had a problem before where a password was typed wrong in an application and it kept trying to authenticating, and then later locked the account. Check to see if the account is locked, and if so, check any other applications that may be using that set of credentials.

    If this were the case, it wouldn't make sense that simply replacing the application in the directory would fix the problem, only time would, but maybe it takes you awhile to replace it and hence, ample time passes to automatically unlock it.

    Just a thought...


    Originally posted by jayman9782
    Hey all,
    I'm having a common problem under different circumstances. A little background information: I am running an "in-house" ASP web application in .NET 1.1 with a back-end in SQL Server 2000. The application is on a separate server from the SQL server. About 99% of the time users are able to sucessfully log into the SQL server and the other 1% of the time they get this nasty message "SQL Server does not Exist or Access Denied". When I get the dreaded call that it's "down" I simply remove the entire directory from the webserver and repost a copy of the application directory in place of it...and voila, it works...until the message comes up again. When this occurs, the logon page is displayed, but the first hit to the server (when logging on) produces this message. I'm sure it's not the SQL Server due to the fact that we have another application with the same setup running fine. I've looked into all the issue with IIS to no avail. Any ideas?
    Thanks alot in advance,
    Jason

    Comment

    • jayman9782
      New Member
      • Mar 2008
      • 10

      #3
      As of right now the authentication mode in the web configuration within the application is set to Windows. I believe (please correct me if i'm wrong) when run on the webserver should be authenticating through it's IIS setup. I just noticed the anonymous access was checked and apparently this can not be the case with windows-level authentication in the app. When i uncheck it, it requires the user to enter their domain logon information (even when locally connected, and logged in to the domain) before even being sent to the app. logon screen. If, within IIS, authentication is set to integrated windows authentication shouldn't the user automatically be sent to the inital app. page without having to deal with authenticating with windows/ first?
      Thanks.

      Comment

      Working...