NET from HTML Page

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • alan75
    New Member
    • Apr 2007
    • 60

    #1

    NET from HTML Page

    I'm a newbie using NET on web so please bear with me.

    I have developed client to interface a biometric fingerprint scanner device using the manufacturer's SDK for my company.

    Now I need to move another step further by bringing it onto IE instead of a local install client.

    This is the situation:
    - The Server host the IIS and SQL with the data for fingerprint matching.
    - The Client to scan their finger using the finger scanner device connected to the client's PC, via IE (web page).
    - The device then match against the fingerprint data from the server's SQL data.
    - It must return a value (the result) to the web page that call for the matching.

    What method can I use? I am lost as how to implement it.
  • kenobewan
    Recognized Expert Specialist
    • Dec 2006
    • 4871

    #2
    I believe one might be to convert the image to binary data, store this in the database and then compare. HTH.

    Comment

    • Frinavale
      Recognized Expert Expert
      • Oct 2006
      • 9749

      #3
      Originally posted by alan75
      I'm a newbie using NET on web so please bear with me.

      I have developed client to interface a biometric fingerprint scanner device using the manufacturer's SDK for my company.

      Now I need to move another step further by bringing it onto IE instead of a local install client.

      This is the situation:
      - The Server host the IIS and SQL with the data for fingerprint matching.
      - The Client to scan their finger using the finger scanner device connected to the client's PC, via IE (web page).
      - The device then match against the fingerprint data from the server's SQL data.
      - It must return a value (the result) to the web page that call for the matching.

      What method can I use? I am lost as how to implement it.
      You have quite the challenge here.
      You're going to have to design an ActiveX control that retrieves the data from the client's computer. My suggestion is Not to use .NET to develop this ActiveX control. .NET "ActiveX' controls have a whole bunch of security layers to them and some computers will refuse to run them (due to the fact that they are Untrusted code running from off the Internet). If you don't use .NET, you will probably have more luck in getting this to work. Please note that ActiveX controls will only work with an IE web browser...and the web browser has to have ActiveX enabled.

      -Frinny

      Comment

      • alan75
        New Member
        • Apr 2007
        • 60

        #4
        i got this from a tutorial:

        [CODE=vbnet]Public Interface AxMyControl
        Property UserText() As String
        End Interface

        Public Class myControl
        Inherits System.Windows. Forms.UserContr ol, AxMyControl
        Private mStr_UserText As String

        Public Property UserText() As String
        Get
        Return mStr_UserText
        End Get
        Set(ByVal Value As String)
        mStr_UserText = Value
        txtUserText.Tex t = Value 'Update the text box control value also.
        End Set
        End Property
        End Class
        [/CODE]

        and the HTML:
        [CODE=html]<html>
        <body color=white>
        <hr>
        <font face=arial size=1>
        <OBJECT id="myControl1 " name="myControl 1" classid="Active XDotNet.dll#Act iveXDotNet.myCo ntrol" width=288 height=72>
        </OBJECT>
        </font>
        <form name="frm" id="frm">
        <input type="text" name="txt" value="enter text here">
        <input type=button value="Click me" onClick="doScri pt();">
        </form>
        <hr>
        </body>
        <script language="javas cript">
        function doScript()
        {
        myControl1.User Text = frm.txt.value;
        }
        </script>
        </html>[/CODE]

        this line: Inherits System.Windows. Forms.UserContr ol, AxMyControl
        give me an error of 'Inherits' can appear only once within a 'Class' statement and can only specify one class.'

        i removed the line, the ActiveX appears on the HTML page but dont works as its suppose to be.

        i appreciate some help on this, how to make it works? thanks.
        Last edited by Frinavale; Dec 21 '07, 04:29 PM. Reason: Fixed Code Tag

        Comment

        • Frinavale
          Recognized Expert Expert
          • Oct 2006
          • 9749

          #5
          Originally posted by alan75
          i got this from a tutorial:

          [CODE=vbnet]Public Interface AxMyControl
          Property UserText() As String
          End Interface

          Public Class myControl
          Inherits System.Windows. Forms.UserContr ol, AxMyControl
          Private mStr_UserText As String

          Public Property UserText() As String
          Get
          Return mStr_UserText
          End Get
          Set(ByVal Value As String)
          mStr_UserText = Value
          txtUserText.Tex t = Value 'Update the text box control value also.
          End Set
          End Property
          End Class
          [/CODE]

          and the HTML:
          [CODE=html]<html>
          <body color=white>
          <hr>
          <font face=arial size=1>
          <OBJECT id="myControl1 " name="myControl 1" classid="Active XDotNet.dll#Act iveXDotNet.myCo ntrol" width=288 height=72>
          </OBJECT>
          </font>
          <form name="frm" id="frm">
          <input type="text" name="txt" value="enter text here"><input type=button value="Click me" onClick="doScri pt();">
          </form>
          <hr>
          </body>
          <script language="javas cript">
          function doScript()
          {
          myControl1.User Text = frm.txt.value;
          }
          </script>
          </html>[/CODE]

          this line: Inherits System.Windows. Forms.UserContr ol, AxMyControl
          give me an error of 'Inherits' can appear only once within a 'Class' statement and can only specify one class.'

          i removed the line, the ActiveX appears on the HTML page but dont works as its suppose to be.

          i appreciate some help on this, how to make it works? thanks.
          The source that you took that from must have converted some C# code into VB.NET.

          In VB, you can only ever inherit from One parent.
          The line:
          [code=vbnet]Inherits System.Windows. Forms.UserContr ol, AxMyControl[/code]
          Is attempting to inherit from both System.Windows. Forms.UserContr ol, and AxMyControl.

          To fix this problem, have the AxMyControl inherit from System.Windows. Forms.UserContr ol. Then your myControl class only has to inherit from one parent: AxMyControl.

          -Frinny

          Comment

          • Plater
            Recognized Expert Expert
            • Apr 2007
            • 7872

            #6
            C# can only inherint from one parent as well.
            You want to inherit the UserControl, and implement the interface.
            However, the syntax in C# is the same:
            Code:
            public partial class myControl : UserControl, AxMyControl

            I'm not sure what the syntax in VBNET is (I used that same tutorial, but I use C#)

            Comment

            • Frinavale
              Recognized Expert Expert
              • Oct 2006
              • 9749

              #7
              Originally posted by Plater
              C# can only inherint from one parent as well.
              You want to inherit the UserControl, and implement the interface.
              I didn't realize it was the same for C#...in C++ you can have multiple.

              Originally posted by Plater
              However, the syntax in C# is the same:
              Code:
              public partial class myControl : UserControl, AxMyControl

              I'm not sure what the syntax in VBNET is (I used that same tutorial, but I use C#)
              What you're saying makes sense Plater...but remember that thread about my issues with ActiveX controls?...how my code differed from yours?

              I'm still not sure why there is such a difference in syntax between the VB.NET code and the C# code.

              I'll have to look into it later...
              Last edited by Frinavale; Dec 21 '07, 05:15 PM. Reason: I'm having issues typing today...Fixed my sentences ...multiple times

              Comment

              • Plater
                Recognized Expert Expert
                • Apr 2007
                • 7872

                #8
                I'm honestly not convinced you need that interface reference. You could probably leave it out and still be fine

                Comment

                • alan75
                  New Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • 60

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Plater
                  I'm honestly not convinced you need that interface reference. You could probably leave it out and still be fine
                  the text form the html input box is not shown on the activex textbox after clicking the button, as it should be,

                  please help, thanks so much for the inputs so far.

                  Comment

                  • alan75
                    New Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 60

                    #10
                    i've tried ways and means the whole day but the same result. the text i keyed into the web form input box just wont show in the activex textbox.

                    another question, how to pass back a value back to the web page?

                    thanks.

                    Comment

                    • Frinavale
                      Recognized Expert Expert
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 9749

                      #11
                      Originally posted by alan75
                      i've tried ways and means the whole day but the same result. the text i keyed into the web form input box just wont show in the activex textbox.

                      another question, how to pass back a value back to the web page?

                      thanks.
                      have you tried developing your ActiveX using VB6?

                      Comment

                      Working...