Send attachment with DIME

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • =?Utf-8?B?SmFrb2IgTGl0aG5lcg==?=

    #1

    Send attachment with DIME

    I have never sent attachment with webservices.
    Yesterday I got the challenge to redesign my solution that sends large XML
    structures to a Java webservice. The reason was that the Java SOAP
    implementation had problems consuming too large files that way. They
    encountered a memory leak in the parser that made the whole mainframe
    environment to crash! So the decided they should go for DIME attachments
    instead.

    I use VB.Net in VS2005.

    Where do I begin?
    Should I install WSE 3.0?

    It was hard to find examples.
    I found some Microsoft artcicles from 2002 and 2003 but no code examples.
    When searching this forum for DIME I just received ONE result where the
    writer recommended NOT to use DIME attachments .......


  • Spam Catcher

    #2
    Re: Send attachment with DIME

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFrb2IgTGl 0aG5lcg==?= <jaklithn@noema il.noemailwrote in
    news:3A19BB6C-CF14-4D5D-B6F3-51965D379520@mi crosoft.com:
    Where do I begin?
    Should I install WSE 3.0?
    >
    It was hard to find examples.
    I found some Microsoft artcicles from 2002 and 2003 but no code
    examples. When searching this forum for DIME I just received ONE
    result where the writer recommended NOT to use DIME attachments
    .......
    >
    DIME is obsolete and no longer supported in WSE 3.0. If you need DIME
    support you should install WSE 2.0. DIME has been replaced by MTOM in WSE
    3.0 - you should mention this to your Java developers.

    Here's an example on how to use DIME (WSE 2.0)



    Comment

    • =?Utf-8?B?SmFrb2IgTGl0aG5lcg==?=

      #3
      Re: Send attachment with DIME

      Thanks, I will definitely tell him this right away!
      I possible I will try to switch to MTOM attachments.

      Comment

      • =?Utf-8?B?SmFrb2IgTGl0aG5lcg==?=

        #4
        RE: Send attachment with DIME

        Your summary is correct!
        I use .Net Framework 2.0 and have not yet used any of the WSE packages.
        This means I can choose WSE 3.0 without hesitation.

        Java team mentioned they could use several techniques for attachment.
        But on request they told me this means they need to upgrade the "AXIS
        to version 2". Sounds like they would avoid this.
        They also asked if .Net supports plain MIME attachments, if so that might
        be a possibility. Any disadvantages with that approach?

        Comment

        • Spam Catcher

          #5
          RE: Send attachment with DIME

          =?Utf-8?B?SmFrb2IgTGl 0aG5lcg==?= <jaklithn@noema il.noemailwrote in
          news:F3F7A21D-FC23-4D67-89B3-5786E32B4670@mi crosoft.com:
          Java team mentioned they could use several techniques for attachment.
          But on request they told me this means they need to upgrade the "AXIS
          to version 2". Sounds like they would avoid this.
          They also asked if .Net supports plain MIME attachments, if so that might
          be a possibility. Any disadvantages with that approach?
          I think what they want is WS-Attachments? Again that's been superceeded by
          MTOM.

          MTOM is the suggested replacement by W3C - so DIME/WS-Attachments/etc. etc.
          are non-standard and obsolete.

          You can try using WSE 2.0 in .NET 2.0 - it might work (probably will?).

          Comment

          • Steven Cheng[MSFT]

            #6
            RE: Send attachment with DIME

            Thanks for your reply,

            Would you further describe the "plain MIME" you mentioned? I know that
            plain html page based form can post data via multi-part form request. So
            I'm wondering whether your service vendor will use a http file upload like
            approach to let you post these info? Anyway, it does be common that when
            the data be transfer is too large, webservice will not be the proper
            solution and maybe a raw http form post or even socket communication will
            perform better.

            Let me know if you need any further ideas or help on this.

            Sincerely,

            Steven Cheng

            Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead


            This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
            --------------------
            From: =?Utf-8?B?SmFrb2IgTGl 0aG5lcg==?= <jaklithn@noema il.noemail>
            References: <3A19BB6C-CF14-4D5D-B6F3-51965D379520@mi crosoft.com>
            <sQ0ef6eFIHA.36 0@TK2MSFTNGHUB0 2.phx.gbl>
            Subject: RE: Send attachment with DIME
            Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 23:40:03 -0700

            Your summary is correct!
            I use .Net Framework 2.0 and have not yet used any of the WSE packages.
            This means I can choose WSE 3.0 without hesitation.

            Java team mentioned they could use several techniques for attachment.
            But on request they told me this means they need to upgrade the "AXIS
            to version 2". Sounds like they would avoid this.
            They also asked if .Net supports plain MIME attachments, if so that might
            be a possibility. Any disadvantages with that approach?

            Comment

            Working...