DLL Class and Resource

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Steve Wheeler

    #1

    DLL Class and Resource

    Hi -
    I am trying to create a dll with an embedded class that I create from my
    /exe, this is no problem, but I also want to have a RT_RCDATA resource
    embedded in the dll that can be accessed from the .exe so what I am
    lookingto do is create a kind of hybird resource dll / extension dll. My
    development environment is vc7 / unmanaged. Can this be done - it would mean
    I only have to ship 1 dll vs 2 dll's (resource only and win32) with my exe.

    Thanks


  • William DePalo [MVP VC++]

    #2
    Re: DLL Class and Resource

    "Steve Wheeler" <swheeler@intra start.comwrote in message
    news:%23QGBtE$y GHA.1536@TK2MSF TNGP02.phx.gbl. ..
    I am trying to create a dll with an embedded class that I create from my
    /exe, this is no problem, but I also want to have a RT_RCDATA resource
    embedded in the dll that can be accessed from the .exe so what I am
    lookingto do is create a kind of hybird resource dll / extension dll. My
    development environment is vc7 / unmanaged. Can this be done - it would
    mean I only have to ship 1 dll vs 2 dll's (resource only and win32) with
    my exe.
    Assuming that the executable implicitly or explicitly loads the DLL I can
    think of no reason why it shouldn't work. Of course, passing the proper
    instance handle (the DLL's in your case) to the function that loads the
    resource makes all the difference.

    You speak of "extension" DLL. Is this an MFC DLL? If so, you might want to
    post again in an MFC group to see if there are constraints or conventions
    imposed by the class library that you have to deal with.

    Regards,
    Will


    Comment

    Working...