Deploying framework in deployment package

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Steve Long

    #1

    Deploying framework in deployment package

    Hello, I 'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question in
    but, I using MS' suggested method of using their setup.exe and settings.ini
    to deploy dotnetfx.exe with my deployment package. My question is, there are
    settings in the Config.ini file that I'd like to know how to change but
    can't find any info on. For instance, I would like to change the following
    line:
    IDS_SETUP_SUCCE EDED=Setup succeeded.

    to keep the setup succeeded dialog from even displaying. Anybody know
    anything about this?

    Thanks in advance.

    Steve


  • Dave Sexton

    #2
    Re: Deploying framework in deployment package

    Hi Steve,

    Sorry, I don't know anything about that, but I'm curious why you have this requirement in the first place. If the app is being
    installed by a person, how will that person know if the installation is successful without looking at the log?

    I think you have another way to do this, if it's really necessary, by using Visual Studio.NET. Create a setup and deployment
    project and open its "User Interface Editor". One of the dialogs listed is named, "Finish" and it's located under the "End" step.
    You can delete it from here.

    GL

    --
    Dave Sexton

    "Steve Long" <Steve_Noneya@N oSpam.comwrote in message news:Oh1N%23diw GHA.1772@TK2MSF TNGP06.phx.gbl. ..
    Hello, I 'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question in
    but, I using MS' suggested method of using their setup.exe and settings.ini
    to deploy dotnetfx.exe with my deployment package. My question is, there are
    settings in the Config.ini file that I'd like to know how to change but
    can't find any info on. For instance, I would like to change the following
    line:
    IDS_SETUP_SUCCE EDED=Setup succeeded.
    >
    to keep the setup succeeded dialog from even displaying. Anybody know
    anything about this?
    >
    Thanks in advance.
    >
    Steve
    >
    >

    Comment

    • Steve Long

      #3
      Re: Deploying framework in deployment package

      Dave,
      here's the scenario:

      I have a VB6 app that I needed to modify and I decided to use VS 2003 to
      create additional functionality via a COM DLL. The installation for that
      program was done in InstallShield Express so I converted it to InstallShield
      X Express. I tried to convert it to Wise but couldn't get the Wise Installer
      to do what I needed to get done. So, I have this Install that, will extract
      and .msi before continuing the install. I grab the .msi and alter Microsoft
      Setup.exe sample (actually the Setup.ini file) to point to my .msi. This
      Setup.exe program will install dotnetfx.exe if the framework is not already
      there but it also pops up those stupid dialog boxes at the beginning and end
      of the install process. I'd like to get ride of them is all. I opened the
      ..msi in Wise for Windows Installer but couldn't find where those dialogs
      were.

      Convoluted I know but it's what I'm stuck with for now.

      Steve

      "Dave Sexton" <dave@jwa[remove.this]online.comwrote in message
      news:%231$0lv6w GHA.4972@TK2MSF TNGP05.phx.gbl. ..
      Hi Steve,
      >
      Sorry, I don't know anything about that, but I'm curious why you have this
      requirement in the first place. If the app is being
      installed by a person, how will that person know if the installation is
      successful without looking at the log?
      >
      I think you have another way to do this, if it's really necessary, by
      using Visual Studio.NET. Create a setup and deployment
      project and open its "User Interface Editor". One of the dialogs listed
      is named, "Finish" and it's located under the "End" step.
      You can delete it from here.
      >
      GL
      >
      --
      Dave Sexton
      >
      "Steve Long" <Steve_Noneya@N oSpam.comwrote in message
      news:Oh1N%23diw GHA.1772@TK2MSF TNGP06.phx.gbl. ..
      Hello, I 'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question
      in
      but, I using MS' suggested method of using their setup.exe and
      settings.ini
      to deploy dotnetfx.exe with my deployment package. My question is, there
      are
      settings in the Config.ini file that I'd like to know how to change but
      can't find any info on. For instance, I would like to change the
      following
      line:
      IDS_SETUP_SUCCE EDED=Setup succeeded.

      to keep the setup succeeded dialog from even displaying. Anybody know
      anything about this?

      Thanks in advance.

      Steve
      >
      >

      Comment

      • Dave Sexton

        #4
        Re: Deploying framework in deployment package

        Hi Steve,

        I see now that you are trying to suppress the dotnetfx.exe dialogs and I believe that you might be able to do that using the "/q:a"
        and "/q" switches, however I haven't tested this myself:

        http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...otnetfxref.asp

        If you ask me, dialogs should be the least of your worries ;)

        --
        Dave Sexton

        "Steve Long" <Steve_Noneya@N oSpam.comwrote in message news:%23zH4bisx GHA.3568@TK2MSF TNGP03.phx.gbl. ..
        Dave,
        here's the scenario:
        >
        I have a VB6 app that I needed to modify and I decided to use VS 2003 to
        create additional functionality via a COM DLL. The installation for that
        program was done in InstallShield Express so I converted it to InstallShield
        X Express. I tried to convert it to Wise but couldn't get the Wise Installer
        to do what I needed to get done. So, I have this Install that, will extract
        and .msi before continuing the install. I grab the .msi and alter Microsoft
        Setup.exe sample (actually the Setup.ini file) to point to my .msi. This
        Setup.exe program will install dotnetfx.exe if the framework is not already
        there but it also pops up those stupid dialog boxes at the beginning and end
        of the install process. I'd like to get ride of them is all. I opened the
        .msi in Wise for Windows Installer but couldn't find where those dialogs
        were.
        >
        Convoluted I know but it's what I'm stuck with for now.
        >
        Steve
        >
        "Dave Sexton" <dave@jwa[remove.this]online.comwrote in message
        news:%231$0lv6w GHA.4972@TK2MSF TNGP05.phx.gbl. ..
        >Hi Steve,
        >>
        >Sorry, I don't know anything about that, but I'm curious why you have this
        requirement in the first place. If the app is being
        >installed by a person, how will that person know if the installation is
        successful without looking at the log?
        >>
        >I think you have another way to do this, if it's really necessary, by
        using Visual Studio.NET. Create a setup and deployment
        >project and open its "User Interface Editor". One of the dialogs listed
        is named, "Finish" and it's located under the "End" step.
        >You can delete it from here.
        >>
        >GL
        >>
        >--
        >Dave Sexton
        >>
        >"Steve Long" <Steve_Noneya@N oSpam.comwrote in message
        news:Oh1N%23diw GHA.1772@TK2MSF TNGP06.phx.gbl. ..
        Hello, I 'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this question
        in
        but, I using MS' suggested method of using their setup.exe and
        settings.ini
        to deploy dotnetfx.exe with my deployment package. My question is, there
        are
        settings in the Config.ini file that I'd like to know how to change but
        can't find any info on. For instance, I would like to change the
        following
        line:
        IDS_SETUP_SUCCE EDED=Setup succeeded.
        >
        to keep the setup succeeded dialog from even displaying. Anybody know
        anything about this?
        >
        Thanks in advance.
        >
        Steve
        >
        >
        >>
        >>
        >
        >

        Comment

        • Steve Long

          #5
          Re: Deploying framework in deployment package

          Thanks Dave,
          I'll check that out.

          I know, I know. It's a bit of a mess but it seems to be working. GG, it's so
          much easier to write some of this stuff in .NET that I didn't want to mess
          with VB6 to get'r done... :)

          Steve

          "Dave Sexton" <dave@jwa[remove.this]online.comwrote in message
          news:%23rhxPavx GHA.3512@TK2MSF TNGP04.phx.gbl. ..
          Hi Steve,
          >
          I see now that you are trying to suppress the dotnetfx.exe dialogs and I
          believe that you might be able to do that using the "/q:a"
          and "/q" switches, however I haven't tested this myself:
          >
          >
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...otnetfxref.asp
          >
          If you ask me, dialogs should be the least of your worries ;)
          >
          --
          Dave Sexton
          >
          "Steve Long" <Steve_Noneya@N oSpam.comwrote in message
          news:%23zH4bisx GHA.3568@TK2MSF TNGP03.phx.gbl. ..
          Dave,
          here's the scenario:

          I have a VB6 app that I needed to modify and I decided to use VS 2003 to
          create additional functionality via a COM DLL. The installation for that
          program was done in InstallShield Express so I converted it to
          InstallShield
          X Express. I tried to convert it to Wise but couldn't get the Wise
          Installer
          to do what I needed to get done. So, I have this Install that, will
          extract
          and .msi before continuing the install. I grab the .msi and alter
          Microsoft
          Setup.exe sample (actually the Setup.ini file) to point to my .msi. This
          Setup.exe program will install dotnetfx.exe if the framework is not
          already
          there but it also pops up those stupid dialog boxes at the beginning and
          end
          of the install process. I'd like to get ride of them is all. I opened
          the
          .msi in Wise for Windows Installer but couldn't find where those dialogs
          were.

          Convoluted I know but it's what I'm stuck with for now.

          Steve

          "Dave Sexton" <dave@jwa[remove.this]online.comwrote in message
          news:%231$0lv6w GHA.4972@TK2MSF TNGP05.phx.gbl. ..
          Hi Steve,
          >
          Sorry, I don't know anything about that, but I'm curious why you have
          this
          requirement in the first place. If the app is being
          installed by a person, how will that person know if the installation is
          successful without looking at the log?
          >
          I think you have another way to do this, if it's really necessary, by
          using Visual Studio.NET. Create a setup and deployment
          project and open its "User Interface Editor". One of the dialogs
          listed
          is named, "Finish" and it's located under the "End" step.
          You can delete it from here.
          >
          GL
          >
          --
          Dave Sexton
          >
          "Steve Long" <Steve_Noneya@N oSpam.comwrote in message
          news:Oh1N%23diw GHA.1772@TK2MSF TNGP06.phx.gbl. ..
          Hello, I 'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this
          question
          in
          but, I using MS' suggested method of using their setup.exe and
          settings.ini
          to deploy dotnetfx.exe with my deployment package. My question is,
          there
          are
          settings in the Config.ini file that I'd like to know how to change
          but
          can't find any info on. For instance, I would like to change the
          following
          line:
          IDS_SETUP_SUCCE EDED=Setup succeeded.

          to keep the setup succeeded dialog from even displaying. Anybody know
          anything about this?

          Thanks in advance.

          Steve


          >
          >
          >
          >

          Comment

          Working...