how to implement a background process?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pokémon

    #1

    how to implement a background process?

    Ok, I want to implmement a "backgound process", but the catch is this:

    I want to control it via a Web Service, that is to say, the Web Service will
    be its API.

    What type of application should I create? Windows App?

    Also, how would the Web Service talk to the background process?


  • Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

    #2
    Re: how to implement a background process?

    pokémon,
    I'm assuming by 'background process' you mean something that continuously
    runs working on something.

    Have you considered a Windows Service, that the Web Service uses .NET
    Remoting or MessageQueues to talk to it.

    You can use can use System.ServiceP rocess.ServiceC ontroller to control a
    Windows Service if you do not need to communicate a large number of
    parameters. If you have lots of data/parameters to communicate then I would
    consider using .NET Remoting or a System.Messagin g.MessageQueue to send this
    info (to the Windows Service).

    Hope this helps
    Jay

    "pokémon" <poke@mon.com > wrote in message
    news:%cJ5b.2498 4$NC2.6796@nwrd ny01.gnilink.ne t...[color=blue]
    > Ok, I want to implmement a "backgound process", but the catch is this:
    >
    > I want to control it via a Web Service, that is to say, the Web Service[/color]
    will[color=blue]
    > be its API.
    >
    > What type of application should I create? Windows App?
    >
    > Also, how would the Web Service talk to the background process?
    >
    >[/color]


    Comment

    • pokémon

      #3
      Re: how to implement a background process?

      Thanks, Jay,

      I think Messaging Queuing might not be my choice, since I don't like the
      asynch nature of it for this particular app.

      Is configuring a web service as a remoting client the same as any other
      remoting client, or are there other considerations?


      "Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]" <Jay_Harlow@ema il.msn.com> wrote in message
      news:OQ8ObDwcDH A.2284@TK2MSFTN GP12.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
      > pokémon,
      > I'm assuming by 'background process' you mean something that continuously
      > runs working on something.
      >
      > Have you considered a Windows Service, that the Web Service uses .NET
      > Remoting or MessageQueues to talk to it.
      >
      > You can use can use System.ServiceP rocess.ServiceC ontroller to control a
      > Windows Service if you do not need to communicate a large number of
      > parameters. If you have lots of data/parameters to communicate then I[/color]
      would[color=blue]
      > consider using .NET Remoting or a System.Messagin g.MessageQueue to send[/color]
      this[color=blue]
      > info (to the Windows Service).
      >
      > Hope this helps
      > Jay
      >
      > "pokémon" <poke@mon.com > wrote in message
      > news:%cJ5b.2498 4$NC2.6796@nwrd ny01.gnilink.ne t...[color=green]
      > > Ok, I want to implmement a "backgound process", but the catch is this:
      > >
      > > I want to control it via a Web Service, that is to say, the Web Service[/color]
      > will[color=green]
      > > be its API.
      > >
      > > What type of application should I create? Windows App?
      > >
      > > Also, how would the Web Service talk to the background process?
      > >
      > >[/color]
      >
      >[/color]


      Comment

      • Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

        #4
        Re: how to implement a background process?

        pokémon,[color=blue]
        > Is configuring a web service as a remoting client the same as any other
        > remoting client, or are there other considerations?[/color]
        As far as I know its the same.

        Hope this helps
        Jay

        "pokémon" <poke@mon.com > wrote in message
        news:YlL5b.5964 $Qk4.3963@nwrdn y03.gnilink.net ...[color=blue]
        > Thanks, Jay,
        >
        > I think Messaging Queuing might not be my choice, since I don't like the
        > asynch nature of it for this particular app.
        >
        > Is configuring a web service as a remoting client the same as any other
        > remoting client, or are there other considerations?
        >
        >
        > "Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]" <Jay_Harlow@ema il.msn.com> wrote in[/color]
        message[color=blue]
        > news:OQ8ObDwcDH A.2284@TK2MSFTN GP12.phx.gbl...[color=green]
        > > pokémon,
        > > I'm assuming by 'background process' you mean something that[/color][/color]
        continuously[color=blue][color=green]
        > > runs working on something.
        > >
        > > Have you considered a Windows Service, that the Web Service uses .NET
        > > Remoting or MessageQueues to talk to it.
        > >
        > > You can use can use System.ServiceP rocess.ServiceC ontroller to control a
        > > Windows Service if you do not need to communicate a large number of
        > > parameters. If you have lots of data/parameters to communicate then I[/color]
        > would[color=green]
        > > consider using .NET Remoting or a System.Messagin g.MessageQueue to send[/color]
        > this[color=green]
        > > info (to the Windows Service).
        > >
        > > Hope this helps
        > > Jay
        > >
        > > "pokémon" <poke@mon.com > wrote in message
        > > news:%cJ5b.2498 4$NC2.6796@nwrd ny01.gnilink.ne t...[color=darkred]
        > > > Ok, I want to implmement a "backgound process", but the catch is this:
        > > >
        > > > I want to control it via a Web Service, that is to say, the Web[/color][/color][/color]
        Service[color=blue][color=green]
        > > will[color=darkred]
        > > > be its API.
        > > >
        > > > What type of application should I create? Windows App?
        > > >
        > > > Also, how would the Web Service talk to the background process?
        > > >
        > > >[/color]
        > >
        > >[/color]
        >
        >[/color]


        Comment

        • lecolecosa
          New Member
          • Jul 2006
          • 2

          #5
          Hi all,
          How can i controler backgroud process with javascript?

          It´s a possible?
          Thanks

          Comment

          Working...