Setup log for VS Net Architect?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ron Ruble

    #1

    Setup log for VS Net Architect?

    Does the VSNET Architect install (MSDN Universal) create a log file, and if
    so,
    where?

    I have an unusually heavily secured IE configuration, and FireFox set up as
    my
    default web browser. When attempting to check for VStudio updates at the end
    of the install, I get the message "Visual Studio .NET 2003 encountered
    errors
    while attempting to download required files. Check your web browser
    configuration
    settings and your connection hardware, and then try again." followed by a
    default
    "No updates available" if I hit retry.

    Since I have no idea what it was attempting to do, the only options would be
    to
    make IE my default browser temporarily (i may try that later), or reset my
    IE
    settings to the default "trust everyone" settings, and I ain't about to do
    that.

    Alternatively, a link to a thread or website with suggestions for resolving
    this
    kind of thing would be good.

    Any help appreciated.


  • Kevin Yu [MSFT]

    #2
    RE: Setup log for VS Net Architect?

    Hi Ron,

    First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From
    your description, I understand that you need to know the position of the
    setup log that VS.NET setup created and how to check for update under a
    heavily secured IE configuration. If there is any misunderstandin g, please
    feel free to let me know.

    There are 2 parts for the setup log. They are both under %homepath%\Loca l
    Settings\Temp folder. If you haven't cleared the temp files, dotNetFx.log
    contains information about the installation of .NET framework. While
    vsinstall71.txt contains setup log of Visual Studio .NET.

    There are several reasons that might prevent VS.NET from updating. First, I
    think you can check the following KB article. It describes exactly the same
    error message you have got. There is already a hotfix for this issue.



    If that still doesn't work, I think the only thing we can do is to lower
    the security configuration in IE. Please check the following thread for
    more information.


    msftngp13.phx.g bl&rnum=9&prev =/groups%3Fq%3D%2 522Check%2Byour %2Bweb%2Bbrowse
    r%2Bconfigurati on%2Bsettings%2 Band%2Byour%2Bc onnection%2Bhar dware%2522%26hl %
    3Dzh-CN%26lr%3D%26se lm%3D%2523WKkor qBEHA.712%2540t k2msftngp13.phx .gbl%26rnum
    %3D9

    HTH.

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights."

    Comment

    • Ron Ruble

      #3
      Re: Setup log for VS Net Architect?

      Comments inline.

      --
      Ron Ruble
      raffles2@att.ne t
      Prefix email messages with "Newsgroup" to bypass spam filters


      "Kevin Yu [MSFT]" <v-kevy@online.mic rosoft.com> wrote in message
      news:WsUvxZa2EH A.2732@cpmsftng xa10.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
      > Hi Ron,
      >
      > First of all, I would like to confirm my understanding of your issue. From
      > your description, I understand that you need to know the position of the
      > setup log that VS.NET setup created and how to check for update under a
      > heavily secured IE configuration. If there is any misunderstandin g, please
      > feel free to let me know.[/color]

      All correct; also, my default webbrowser is FireFox.
      [color=blue]
      > There are 2 parts for the setup log. They are both under %homepath%\Loca l
      > Settings\Temp folder. If you haven't cleared the temp files, dotNetFx.log
      > contains information about the installation of .NET framework. While
      > vsinstall71.txt contains setup log of Visual Studio .NET.[/color]

      I'll check there, thanks.
      [color=blue]
      > There are several reasons that might prevent VS.NET from updating. First,
      > I
      > think you can check the following KB article. It describes exactly the
      > same
      > error message you have got. There is already a hotfix for this issue.
      >
      > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;836454[/color]

      Thank you.
      [color=blue]
      > If that still doesn't work, I think the only thing we can do is to lower
      > the security configuration in IE.[/color]

      Not really acceptable. -Modifying- the settings carefully may be fine, but
      wholesale lowering of security just isn't a rational option.
      [color=blue]
      > Please check the following thread for
      > more information.
      >
      > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=z...BEHA.712%40tk2
      > msftngp13.phx.g bl&rnum=9&prev =/groups%3Fq%3D%2 522Check%2Byour %2Bweb%2Bbrowse
      > r%2Bconfigurati on%2Bsettings%2 Band%2Byour%2Bc onnection%2Bhar dware%2522%26hl %
      > 3Dzh-CN%26lr%3D%26se lm%3D%2523WKkor qBEHA.712%2540t k2msftngp13.phx .gbl%26rnum
      > %3D9[/color]

      I will.



      Comment

      • Kevin Yu [MSFT]

        #4
        Re: Setup log for VS Net Architect?

        Hi Ron,

        Please drop me a note when you have the test results.

        Kevin Yu
        =======
        "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
        rights."

        Comment

        Working...