C++ in .NET

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Chris Haidvogel

    #1

    C++ in .NET

    Hi all,

    I have been reading up on multiple aspects of .NET but I have a question for
    the group. All of the examples I have seen regarding the use of .NET have
    been either C# or VB. Seeing this makes me worry that C++ is not being shown
    because it does not work well. Does anyone out there have any experience
    using C++ in .NET? Are there enogh perks to make the learning curve worth it
    to use C++ in .NET?

    Thanks,
    Chris.
  • Angel J. Hernández

    #2
    Re: C++ in .NET

    Hi there...

    C++ in .NET works OK. There's a book Programming with Managed Extensions for
    Microsoft Visual C++ .NET / Richard Grimes. The author explains quite well
    how to move into managed .net. Managed C++ I've been using it for a while
    ;-) it's cool! I recommend u that book...

    Regards,


    --
    Angel J. Hernández M.
    MCSD


    "Chris Haidvogel" <not@real.addre ss.net> escribió en el mensaje
    news:8E81F8D8-9BCB-4AF9-910F-263BBEEA9AEF@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have been reading up on multiple aspects of .NET but I have a question[/color]
    for[color=blue]
    > the group. All of the examples I have seen regarding the use of .NET have
    > been either C# or VB. Seeing this makes me worry that C++ is not being[/color]
    shown[color=blue]
    > because it does not work well. Does anyone out there have any experience
    > using C++ in .NET? Are there enogh perks to make the learning curve worth[/color]
    it[color=blue]
    > to use C++ in .NET?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris.[/color]


    Comment

    • Niki Estner

      #3
      Re: C++ in .NET

      "Chris Haidvogel" <not@real.addre ss.net> wrote in
      news:8E81F8D8-9BCB-4AF9-910F-263BBEEA9AEF@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I have been reading up on multiple aspects of .NET but I have a question
      > for
      > the group. All of the examples I have seen regarding the use of .NET have
      > been either C# or VB. Seeing this makes me worry that C++ is not being
      > shown
      > because it does not work well. Does anyone out there have any experience
      > using C++ in .NET? Are there enogh perks to make the learning curve worth
      > it
      > to use C++ in .NET?[/color]

      It depends on what you mean with "does not work so well": managed C++ works
      fine, you can do pretty much everything with it; However it has (IMO) 2
      major drawbacks:
      - It lacks a lot the syntactic sugar C# has (e.g. for events, properties,
      foreach, lock...)
      - It needs lots of cryptic keywords (like __gc, __value...)

      This is of course especially bad for sample programs...

      Personally, I would only recommend using MC++ for porting legacy code.

      Niki


      Comment

      • Andrew Faust

        #4
        Re: C++ in .NET

        "Chris Haidvogel" <not@real.addre ss.net> wrote in message
        news:8E81F8D8-9BCB-4AF9-910F-263BBEEA9AEF@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have been reading up on multiple aspects of .NET but I have a
        > question for
        > the group. All of the examples I have seen regarding the use
        > of .NET have
        > been either C# or VB. Seeing this makes me worry that C++ is
        > not being shown
        > because it does not work well. Does anyone out there have any
        > experience
        > using C++ in .NET? Are there enogh perks to make the learning
        > curve worth it
        > to use C++ in .NET?[/color]

        Managed C++ works fine. I'm not sure why all you see is C# &
        VB.NET. However, there are
        even more options out there like Borland Delphi 8 that will work
        with .NET as well.

        My personal preference is to use C# for .NET coding, and avoid
        Managed C++ because I
        am worried that I would find it confusing trying to write
        non-Managed C++ code(of which I need
        to write quite a bit) if I got too familiar with managed C++.

        Andrew Faust


        Comment

        • John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

          #5
          Re: C++ in .NET

          I completely support this endorsement. Richard is without a doubt one the
          best C++ developers around and his knowledge of .NET in relation to it is
          second to none. For the forty or so sheckels it costs to buy the book ti
          would certainly be money well spent.

          The reason most of the examples are in C# or vb.net is likely because thats
          what most developers have chosent to adopt it. I myself find it a lot
          faster to develop in C# than I do in managed C++ . Its not that C++.NET is
          less effective.

          --
          Regards

          John Timney
          Microsoft Regional Director
          Microsoft MVP


          "Angel J. Hernández" <angeljesus14@h otmail.com> wrote in message
          news:#5JtXMHjEH A.2580@TK2MSFTN GP10.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
          > Hi there...
          >
          > C++ in .NET works OK. There's a book Programming with Managed Extensions[/color]
          for[color=blue]
          > Microsoft Visual C++ .NET / Richard Grimes. The author explains quite well
          > how to move into managed .net. Managed C++ I've been using it for a while
          > ;-) it's cool! I recommend u that book...
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          >
          > --
          > Angel J. Hernández M.
          > MCSD
          >
          >
          > "Chris Haidvogel" <not@real.addre ss.net> escribió en el mensaje
          > news:8E81F8D8-9BCB-4AF9-910F-263BBEEA9AEF@mi crosoft.com...[color=green]
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > I have been reading up on multiple aspects of .NET but I have a question[/color]
          > for[color=green]
          > > the group. All of the examples I have seen regarding the use of .NET[/color][/color]
          have[color=blue][color=green]
          > > been either C# or VB. Seeing this makes me worry that C++ is not being[/color]
          > shown[color=green]
          > > because it does not work well. Does anyone out there have any[/color][/color]
          experience[color=blue][color=green]
          > > using C++ in .NET? Are there enogh perks to make the learning curve[/color][/color]
          worth[color=blue]
          > it[color=green]
          > > to use C++ in .NET?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Chris.[/color]
          >
          >[/color]


          Comment

          • Andrew Faust

            #6
            Re: C++ in .NET

            "Chris Haidvogel" <not@real.addre ss.net> wrote in message
            news:8E81F8D8-9BCB-4AF9-910F-263BBEEA9AEF@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
            > Hi all,
            >
            > I have been reading up on multiple aspects of .NET but I have a
            > question for
            > the group. All of the examples I have seen regarding the use
            > of .NET have
            > been either C# or VB. Seeing this makes me worry that C++ is
            > not being shown
            > because it does not work well. Does anyone out there have any
            > experience
            > using C++ in .NET? Are there enogh perks to make the learning
            > curve worth it
            > to use C++ in .NET?[/color]

            Managed C++ works fine. I'm not sure why all you see is C# &
            VB.NET. However, there are
            even more options out there like Borland Delphi 8 that will work
            with .NET as well.

            My personal preference is to use C# for .NET coding, and avoid
            Managed C++ because I
            am worried that I would find it confusing trying to write
            non-Managed C++ code(of which I need
            to write quite a bit) if I got too familiar with managed C++.

            Andrew Faust


            Comment

            • Daniel O'Connell [C# MVP]

              #7
              Re: C++ in .NET


              "Niki Estner" <niki.estner@cu be.net> wrote in message
              news:uwbCIQHjEH A.3320@TK2MSFTN GP11.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
              > "Chris Haidvogel" <not@real.addre ss.net> wrote in
              > news:8E81F8D8-9BCB-4AF9-910F-263BBEEA9AEF@mi crosoft.com...[color=green]
              >> Hi all,
              >>
              >> I have been reading up on multiple aspects of .NET but I have a question
              >> for
              >> the group. All of the examples I have seen regarding the use of .NET
              >> have
              >> been either C# or VB. Seeing this makes me worry that C++ is not being
              >> shown
              >> because it does not work well. Does anyone out there have any experience
              >> using C++ in .NET? Are there enogh perks to make the learning curve
              >> worth it
              >> to use C++ in .NET?[/color]
              >
              > It depends on what you mean with "does not work so well": managed C++
              > works fine, you can do pretty much everything with it; However it has
              > (IMO) 2 major drawbacks:
              > - It lacks a lot the syntactic sugar C# has (e.g. for events, properties,
              > foreach, lock...)
              > - It needs lots of cryptic keywords (like __gc, __value...)[/color]

              Thankfully the new Managed C++ syntax fixes alot of that, infact I think the
              properties syntax is a bit nicer in some ways. It still doesn't match C# in
              terms of simplicity and ease, but it certainly is *ALOT* better than the
              __gc style language.


              Comment

              • John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

                #8
                Re: C++ in .NET

                I completely support this endorsement. Richard is without a doubt one the
                best C++ developers around and his knowledge of .NET in relation to it is
                second to none. For the forty or so sheckels it costs to buy the book ti
                would certainly be money well spent.

                The reason most of the examples are in C# or vb.net is likely because thats
                what most developers have chosent to adopt it. I myself find it a lot
                faster to develop in C# than I do in managed C++ . Its not that C++.NET is
                less effective.

                --
                Regards

                John Timney
                Microsoft Regional Director
                Microsoft MVP


                "Angel J. Hernández" <angeljesus14@h otmail.com> wrote in message
                news:#5JtXMHjEH A.2580@TK2MSFTN GP10.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
                > Hi there...
                >
                > C++ in .NET works OK. There's a book Programming with Managed Extensions[/color]
                for[color=blue]
                > Microsoft Visual C++ .NET / Richard Grimes. The author explains quite well
                > how to move into managed .net. Managed C++ I've been using it for a while
                > ;-) it's cool! I recommend u that book...
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                >
                > --
                > Angel J. Hernández M.
                > MCSD
                >
                >
                > "Chris Haidvogel" <not@real.addre ss.net> escribió en el mensaje
                > news:8E81F8D8-9BCB-4AF9-910F-263BBEEA9AEF@mi crosoft.com...[color=green]
                > > Hi all,
                > >
                > > I have been reading up on multiple aspects of .NET but I have a question[/color]
                > for[color=green]
                > > the group. All of the examples I have seen regarding the use of .NET[/color][/color]
                have[color=blue][color=green]
                > > been either C# or VB. Seeing this makes me worry that C++ is not being[/color]
                > shown[color=green]
                > > because it does not work well. Does anyone out there have any[/color][/color]
                experience[color=blue][color=green]
                > > using C++ in .NET? Are there enogh perks to make the learning curve[/color][/color]
                worth[color=blue]
                > it[color=green]
                > > to use C++ in .NET?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > > Chris.[/color]
                >
                >[/color]


                Comment

                • Daniel O'Connell [C# MVP]

                  #9
                  Re: C++ in .NET


                  "Niki Estner" <niki.estner@cu be.net> wrote in message
                  news:uwbCIQHjEH A.3320@TK2MSFTN GP11.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
                  > "Chris Haidvogel" <not@real.addre ss.net> wrote in
                  > news:8E81F8D8-9BCB-4AF9-910F-263BBEEA9AEF@mi crosoft.com...[color=green]
                  >> Hi all,
                  >>
                  >> I have been reading up on multiple aspects of .NET but I have a question
                  >> for
                  >> the group. All of the examples I have seen regarding the use of .NET
                  >> have
                  >> been either C# or VB. Seeing this makes me worry that C++ is not being
                  >> shown
                  >> because it does not work well. Does anyone out there have any experience
                  >> using C++ in .NET? Are there enogh perks to make the learning curve
                  >> worth it
                  >> to use C++ in .NET?[/color]
                  >
                  > It depends on what you mean with "does not work so well": managed C++
                  > works fine, you can do pretty much everything with it; However it has
                  > (IMO) 2 major drawbacks:
                  > - It lacks a lot the syntactic sugar C# has (e.g. for events, properties,
                  > foreach, lock...)
                  > - It needs lots of cryptic keywords (like __gc, __value...)[/color]

                  Thankfully the new Managed C++ syntax fixes alot of that, infact I think the
                  properties syntax is a bit nicer in some ways. It still doesn't match C# in
                  terms of simplicity and ease, but it certainly is *ALOT* better than the
                  __gc style language.


                  Comment

                  Working...