Transfer files/data from server to client

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Allan Cammish

    #1

    Transfer files/data from server to client

    I need to pass files from the web server which is written in
    VB/ASP.NET using Visual Studio.NET 2002 to the client's web-browser.
    The purpose of this is that I want to install files to the clients
    compter to run a web/local application I am building. This is very
    useful as the number of users are in the 1000's and I dont want to
    have to install files locally at all by any method (scripts etc) when
    it can be dont automatically from the server.
    Currently, I am using an ActiveX control on the web-page which is
    reading the data from an SQL Server database and creating a file on
    the client's computer.
    This works well, but I wondered if there was a way to do this using
    the new fancy technology!

    Does anyone know if the technology I am using would allow the creation
    of files on a client's pc?

    Allan Cammish
  • Michael Giagnocavo [MVP]

    #2
    Re: Transfer files/data from server to client

    ActiveX can be replaced by embedding .NET controls on a web page. But, this
    requires that the clients have .NET installed on their machines.

    Another way is No Touch Deployment. Upload a .NET exe to your web server,
    and users can launch the program by clicking the link. .NET automatically
    caches and checks the versions so it's auto updating. Still, the clients
    have to have .NET installed.

    As well, by default, your program will run with restricted permissions
    (security). So, you might have to do a one-time configuring of the machines
    to allow your code (use a strong name to sign your assemblies) to run with
    the needed permissions.

    -mike
    MVP

    "Allan Cammish" <allancammish@h otmail.com> wrote in message
    news:f95ff8c9.0 310180016.622f2 eab@posting.goo gle.com...[color=blue]
    > I need to pass files from the web server which is written in
    > VB/ASP.NET using Visual Studio.NET 2002 to the client's web-browser.
    > The purpose of this is that I want to install files to the clients
    > compter to run a web/local application I am building. This is very
    > useful as the number of users are in the 1000's and I dont want to
    > have to install files locally at all by any method (scripts etc) when
    > it can be dont automatically from the server.
    > Currently, I am using an ActiveX control on the web-page which is
    > reading the data from an SQL Server database and creating a file on
    > the client's computer.
    > This works well, but I wondered if there was a way to do this using
    > the new fancy technology!
    >
    > Does anyone know if the technology I am using would allow the creation
    > of files on a client's pc?
    >
    > Allan Cammish[/color]



    Comment

    Working...