Embedding a manifest file

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Merak

    #1

    Embedding a manifest file

    I usually embed a XML manifest with my applications to have them support XP
    Visual Styles.
    I know I can embed the resource into the resources section of the compiled
    executable (under the type RT_MANIFEST and with ID=1).
    What I want to know is if there's a way to include it in the project before
    compilation, like you could do with the old .rc files, and have it compiled
    automatically inside the EXE. Is it possibile?


  • Mick Doherty

    #2
    Re: Embedding a manifest file

    No :-(
    However, if you are using VS2003 you can call
    Application.Ena bleVisualStyles , on app initialisation, instead of including
    a Manifest resource/file. It is also a common recomendation that you follow
    this call with Application.DoE vents.

    "Merak" <me@anywhere.ne t> wrote in message
    news:eTsRR1edDH A.3520@tk2msftn gp13.phx.gbl...[color=blue]
    > I usually embed a XML manifest with my applications to have them support[/color]
    XP[color=blue]
    > Visual Styles.
    > I know I can embed the resource into the resources section of the compiled
    > executable (under the type RT_MANIFEST and with ID=1).
    > What I want to know is if there's a way to include it in the project[/color]
    before[color=blue]
    > compilation, like you could do with the old .rc files, and have it[/color]
    compiled[color=blue]
    > automatically inside the EXE. Is it possibile?
    >
    >[/color]


    Comment

    • Merak

      #3
      Re: Embedding a manifest file

      Too bad I'm still with 'ol 2002.
      Thanks Mcik.

      "Mick Doherty" <mdaudi100@nosp am.ntlworld.com > ha scritto nel messaggio
      news:erH%23UBfd DHA.2672@tk2msf tngp13.phx.gbl. ..[color=blue]
      > No :-(
      > However, if you are using VS2003 you can call
      > Application.Ena bleVisualStyles , on app initialisation, instead of[/color]
      including[color=blue]
      > a Manifest resource/file. It is also a common recomendation that you[/color]
      follow[color=blue]
      > this call with Application.DoE vents.
      >
      > "Merak" <me@anywhere.ne t> wrote in message
      > news:eTsRR1edDH A.3520@tk2msftn gp13.phx.gbl...[color=green]
      > > I usually embed a XML manifest with my applications to have them support[/color]
      > XP[color=green]
      > > Visual Styles.
      > > I know I can embed the resource into the resources section of the[/color][/color]
      compiled[color=blue][color=green]
      > > executable (under the type RT_MANIFEST and with ID=1).
      > > What I want to know is if there's a way to include it in the project[/color]
      > before[color=green]
      > > compilation, like you could do with the old .rc files, and have it[/color]
      > compiled[color=green]
      > > automatically inside the EXE. Is it possibile?
      > >
      > >[/color]
      >
      >[/color]


      Comment

      • Mick Doherty

        #4
        Re: Embedding a manifest file

        Sorry I couldn't give you the answer you wanted.
        You only need to embed the manifest on the release version, so it only needs
        to be done once per app.
        If you want to see how the app looks with Visual Style during Design you can
        apply a Manifest to devenv.exe in your "Common7\ID E" folder.

        "Merak" <me@anywhere.ne t> wrote in message
        news:%234TaEEmd DHA.2268@TK2MSF TNGP12.phx.gbl. ..[color=blue]
        > Too bad I'm still with 'ol 2002.
        > Thanks Mcik.
        >
        > "Mick Doherty" <mdaudi100@nosp am.ntlworld.com > ha scritto nel messaggio
        > news:erH%23UBfd DHA.2672@tk2msf tngp13.phx.gbl. ..[color=green]
        > > No :-(
        > > However, if you are using VS2003 you can call
        > > Application.Ena bleVisualStyles , on app initialisation, instead of[/color]
        > including[color=green]
        > > a Manifest resource/file. It is also a common recomendation that you[/color]
        > follow[color=green]
        > > this call with Application.DoE vents.
        > >
        > > "Merak" <me@anywhere.ne t> wrote in message
        > > news:eTsRR1edDH A.3520@tk2msftn gp13.phx.gbl...[color=darkred]
        > > > I usually embed a XML manifest with my applications to have them[/color][/color][/color]
        support[color=blue][color=green]
        > > XP[color=darkred]
        > > > Visual Styles.
        > > > I know I can embed the resource into the resources section of the[/color][/color]
        > compiled[color=green][color=darkred]
        > > > executable (under the type RT_MANIFEST and with ID=1).
        > > > What I want to know is if there's a way to include it in the project[/color]
        > > before[color=darkred]
        > > > compilation, like you could do with the old .rc files, and have it[/color]
        > > compiled[color=darkred]
        > > > automatically inside the EXE. Is it possibile?
        > > >
        > > >[/color]
        > >
        > >[/color]
        >
        >[/color]


        Comment

        Working...