Bye bye JApplet !

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Oleg Leikin

    #1

    Bye bye JApplet !

    Hi All,

    I've got some fundamental question:

    Since MS has stopped supporting Java Applet development
    according to J# documentation and also discarded Virtual
    Machine from the browser what technology can be used to
    provide high powered client side that doesn't require
    installation (as JApplet) and also provides enough
    security restrictions (local I/O restriction for example) ?

    P.S. Of course I can use Sun's JDK, but it requires JRE
    installation that is about 10-12 MB !!!

    Thanks a lot !!!

  • David Sworder

    #2
    Re: Bye bye JApplet !

    You'll want to use .NET WinForms. UI controls created with .NET can be
    hosted in Internet Explorer, just like an applet. Of course, your users will
    need to have the .NET framework installed.

    David


    "Oleg Leikin" <loleg@optisign .net> wrote in message
    news:046301c370 84$e663ccc0$a00 1280a@phx.gbl.. .[color=blue]
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've got some fundamental question:
    >
    > Since MS has stopped supporting Java Applet development
    > according to J# documentation and also discarded Virtual
    > Machine from the browser what technology can be used to
    > provide high powered client side that doesn't require
    > installation (as JApplet) and also provides enough
    > security restrictions (local I/O restriction for example) ?
    >
    > P.S. Of course I can use Sun's JDK, but it requires JRE
    > installation that is about 10-12 MB !!!
    >
    > Thanks a lot !!!
    >[/color]


    Comment

    • Oleg Leikin

      #3
      Re: Bye bye JApplet !

      [color=blue]
      > You'll want to use .NET WinForms. UI controls created[/color]
      with .NET can be[color=blue]
      >hosted in Internet Explorer, just like an applet. Of[/color]
      course, your users will[color=blue]
      >need to have the .NET framework installed.
      >[/color]

      David

      How this can be achieved ? Is there any documentation
      about System.Windows. Forms.Form hosting ?
      I'm not sure if this's acceptable for me, since .NET
      redistributable is a little bit bigger than Sun's JDK :-),
      but I'd like to learn this technique anyway.
      Any link/pointer/sample will be appreciated !

      Oleg

      Comment

      • David Sworder

        #4
        Re: Bye bye JApplet !

        Hi Oleg,

        I believe that www.GotDotNet.com has some samples explaining how to do
        this. You're right that the .NET redistributable is larger than the JRE, but
        with .NET you have the advantage that it will come installed by default with
        MSFT's newer operating systems [at least this was the case with Win2003
        which is what I'm using here]. A good fraction of the people using W2K or XP
        will have already downloaded the framework by now via the Windows Update
        feature.

        You might take a look at the web logs for the site for which you're
        considering using an embedded .NET control or Java applet. The logs will
        tell you which users have the framework installed. If 75% of your users
        already have the framework, going with .NET an easy choice. In my opinion,
        the only real reason to use JRE instead of .NET is if you want your applet
        to run on all platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux)...

        David


        "Oleg Leikin" <loleg@optisign .net> wrote in message
        news:076e01c370 8c$cac9a1d0$a40 1280a@phx.gbl.. .[color=blue]
        >[color=green]
        > > You'll want to use .NET WinForms. UI controls created[/color]
        > with .NET can be[color=green]
        > >hosted in Internet Explorer, just like an applet. Of[/color]
        > course, your users will[color=green]
        > >need to have the .NET framework installed.
        > >[/color]
        >
        > David
        >
        > How this can be achieved ? Is there any documentation
        > about System.Windows. Forms.Form hosting ?
        > I'm not sure if this's acceptable for me, since .NET
        > redistributable is a little bit bigger than Sun's JDK :-),
        > but I'd like to learn this technique anyway.
        > Any link/pointer/sample will be appreciated !
        >
        > Oleg[/color]


        Comment

        • CH

          #5
          Re: Bye bye JApplet !

          That said both Dell and HP have announced that they will
          be shipping Java with their PC's by the end of the year
          and most other manufactures are expected to follow (see
          http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-1015723.html). If the
          applet already does the job for you why re-write it?
          [color=blue]
          >-----Original Message-----
          >Hi Oleg,
          >
          > I believe that www.GotDotNet.com has some samples[/color]
          explaining how to do[color=blue]
          >this. You're right that the .NET redistributable is[/color]
          larger than the JRE, but[color=blue]
          >with .NET you have the advantage that it will come[/color]
          installed by default with[color=blue]
          >MSFT's newer operating systems [at least this was the[/color]
          case with Win2003[color=blue]
          >which is what I'm using here]. A good fraction of the[/color]
          people using W2K or XP[color=blue]
          >will have already downloaded the framework by now via the[/color]
          Windows Update[color=blue]
          >feature.
          >
          > You might take a look at the web logs for the site[/color]
          for which you're[color=blue]
          >considering using an embedded .NET control or Java[/color]
          applet. The logs will[color=blue]
          >tell you which users have the framework installed. If 75%[/color]
          of your users[color=blue]
          >already have the framework, going with .NET an easy[/color]
          choice. In my opinion,[color=blue]
          >the only real reason to use JRE instead of .NET is if you[/color]
          want your applet[color=blue]
          >to run on all platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux)...
          >
          >David
          >
          >
          >"Oleg Leikin" <loleg@optisign .net> wrote in message
          >news:076e01c37 08c$cac9a1d0$a4 01280a@phx.gbl. ..[color=green]
          >>[color=darkred]
          >> > You'll want to use .NET WinForms. UI controls[/color][/color][/color]
          created[color=blue][color=green]
          >> with .NET can be[color=darkred]
          >> >hosted in Internet Explorer, just like an applet. Of[/color]
          >> course, your users will[color=darkred]
          >> >need to have the .NET framework installed.
          >> >[/color]
          >>
          >> David
          >>
          >> How this can be achieved ? Is there any documentation
          >> about System.Windows. Forms.Form hosting ?
          >> I'm not sure if this's acceptable for me, since .NET
          >> redistributable is a little bit bigger than Sun's JDK :-[/color][/color]
          ),[color=blue][color=green]
          >> but I'd like to learn this technique anyway.
          >> Any link/pointer/sample will be appreciated !
          >>
          >> Oleg[/color]
          >
          >
          >.
          >[/color]

          Comment

          Working...