COMException: Failure

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Damaji Jambhale

    #1

    COMException: Failure

    COMException: Catostrphic failure

    When I added a "dll" reference in the web project.
    I was able to instantiate the class OK. But when I tried
    to set the properties, it failed with
    "COMExcepti on: Catostrphic failure".

    Any idea?

    Thanks.
  • Damaji

    #2
    RE: COMException: Failure


    Hi Peter:

    Thanks for the reply. We are going nuts over this.
    Here are more details.

    1. Created windos application.
    2. Added reference to this COM dll.
    3. Here is the code:
    Dim aPDF As aspPDF.EASYPDFC lass
    aPDF = New aspPDF.EASYPDFC lass()
    aPDF.AddText("a sdsdsa")
    It creates the instance successfully, but fails at last
    line with the message below:

    An unhandled exception of
    type 'System.Runtime .InteropService s.COMException'
    occurred in WindowsApplicat ion1.exe
    Additional information: Catastrophic failure.

    The dll is a aspEasyPdf dll which allows creating PDF
    documents.

    Thanks.
    - D.J.
    [color=blue]
    >-----Original Message-----
    >Hi Damaji,
    >
    >Can you post more information about your project for me[/color]
    to reproduce the[color=blue]
    >problem?
    >I would like to know what is the "dll" used for.
    >Have you used the dll in a legacy VB or C/C++ program?[/color]
    Did it work well?[color=blue]
    >To narrow down the problem, can you try to create a new[/color]
    console project or[color=blue]
    >a windows project ( if the dll is GUI based) to reference[/color]
    the dll to see if[color=blue]
    >the problem persists?
    >
    >I look forward to hearing from you!
    >Regards,
    >Peter Huang
    >Microsoft Online Partner Support
    >Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    >This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and[/color]
    confers no rights.[color=blue]
    >--------------------[color=green]
    >>Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
    >>From: "Damaji Jambhale" <damaji@hotmail .com>
    >>Sender: "Damaji Jambhale" <damaji@hotmail .com>
    >>Subject: COMException: Failure
    >>Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:20:30 -0700
    >>Lines: 10
    >>Message-ID: <0a9601c36e6a$f e463ab0$a001280 a@phx.gbl>
    >>MIME-Version: 1.0
    >>Content-Type: text/plain;
    >> charset="iso-8859-1"
    >>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
    >>X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
    >>Thread-Index: AcNuav5Gq63F4sU 8QbuQYeScBCf0Kw ==
    >>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4910.0300
    >>Newsgroups: microsoft.publi c.dotnet.genera l
    >>Path: cpmsftngxa06.ph x.gbl
    >>Xref: cpmsftngxa06.ph x.gbl[/color][/color]
    microsoft.publi c.dotnet.genera l:106663[color=blue][color=green]
    >>NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA08 10.40.1.160
    >>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.publi c.dotnet.genera l
    >>
    >>COMExceptio n: Catostrphic failure
    >>
    >>When I added a "dll" reference in the web project.
    >>I was able to instantiate the class OK. But when I tried
    >>to set the properties, it failed with
    >>"COMException : Catostrphic failure".
    >>
    >>Any idea?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>[/color]
    >
    >.
    >[/color]

    Comment

    • Peter Huang [MSFT]

      #3
      RE: COMException: Failure

      Hi Damaji,

      I have tested your code and I can reproduce the problem. I think it is the
      issue how aspeasypdf design.
      You can try the code below which will work on my machine.

      Dim PDF As aspPDF.EASYPDFC lass
      PDF = New aspPDF.EASYPDFC lass
      PDF.OnStartPage (Nothing) 'I think the line code is a key point.
      PDF.AddText("fs adfsdfsdf")
      PDF.Save("test. pdf")
      MsgBox("DONE")

      You may have a try and let me know the result.

      Regards,
      Peter Huang
      Microsoft Online Partner Support
      Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
      This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no rights.


      --------------------[color=blue]
      >Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
      >From: "Damaji" <damaji@hotmail .com>
      >Sender: "Damaji" <damaji@hotmail .com>
      >References: <0a9601c36e6a$f e463ab0$a001280 a@phx.gbl>[/color]
      <rTXpshGcDHA.21 16@cpmsftngxa06 .phx.gbl>[color=blue]
      >Subject: RE: COMException: Failure
      >Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:01:09 -0700
      >Lines: 84
      >Message-ID: <015401c37173$c e746c60$a301280 a@phx.gbl>
      >MIME-Version: 1.0
      >Content-Type: text/plain;
      > charset="iso-8859-1"
      >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
      >X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
      >Thread-Index: AcNxc850wp/waIFuRPenAYCBHe HzdA==
      >X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4910.0300
      >Newsgroups: microsoft.publi c.dotnet.genera l
      >Path: cpmsftngxa06.ph x.gbl
      >Xref: cpmsftngxa06.ph x.gbl microsoft.publi c.dotnet.genera l:106955
      >NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA11 10.40.1.163
      >X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.publi c.dotnet.genera l
      >
      >
      >Hi Peter:
      >
      >Thanks for the reply. We are going nuts over this.
      >Here are more details.
      >
      >1. Created windos application.
      >2. Added reference to this COM dll.
      >3. Here is the code:
      > Dim aPDF As aspPDF.EASYPDFC lass
      > aPDF = New aspPDF.EASYPDFC lass()
      > aPDF.AddText("a sdsdsa")
      >It creates the instance successfully, but fails at last
      >line with the message below:
      >
      >An unhandled exception of
      >type 'System.Runtime .InteropService s.COMException'
      >occurred in WindowsApplicat ion1.exe
      >Additional information: Catastrophic failure.
      >
      >The dll is a aspEasyPdf dll which allows creating PDF
      >documents.
      >
      >Thanks.
      >- D.J.
      >[color=green]
      >>-----Original Message-----
      >>Hi Damaji,
      >>
      >>Can you post more information about your project for me[/color]
      >to reproduce the[color=green]
      >>problem?
      >>I would like to know what is the "dll" used for.
      >>Have you used the dll in a legacy VB or C/C++ program?[/color]
      >Did it work well?[color=green]
      >>To narrow down the problem, can you try to create a new[/color]
      >console project or[color=green]
      >>a windows project ( if the dll is GUI based) to reference[/color]
      >the dll to see if[color=green]
      >>the problem persists?
      >>
      >>I look forward to hearing from you!
      >>Regards,
      >>Peter Huang
      >>Microsoft Online Partner Support
      >>Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
      >>This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and[/color]
      >confers no rights.[color=green]
      >>--------------------[color=darkred]
      >>>Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
      >>>From: "Damaji Jambhale" <damaji@hotmail .com>
      >>>Sender: "Damaji Jambhale" <damaji@hotmail .com>
      >>>Subject: COMException: Failure
      >>>Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:20:30 -0700
      >>>Lines: 10
      >>>Message-ID: <0a9601c36e6a$f e463ab0$a001280 a@phx.gbl>
      >>>MIME-Version: 1.0
      >>>Content-Type: text/plain;
      >>> charset="iso-8859-1"
      >>>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
      >>>X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
      >>>Thread-Index: AcNuav5Gq63F4sU 8QbuQYeScBCf0Kw ==
      >>>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4910.0300
      >>>Newsgroups : microsoft.publi c.dotnet.genera l
      >>>Path: cpmsftngxa06.ph x.gbl
      >>>Xref: cpmsftngxa06.ph x.gbl[/color][/color]
      >microsoft.publ ic.dotnet.gener al:106663[color=green][color=darkred]
      >>>NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA08 10.40.1.160
      >>>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.publi c.dotnet.genera l
      >>>
      >>>COMException : Catostrphic failure
      >>>
      >>>When I added a "dll" reference in the web project.
      >>>I was able to instantiate the class OK. But when I tried
      >>>to set the properties, it failed with
      >>>"COMExceptio n: Catostrphic failure".
      >>>
      >>>Any idea?
      >>>
      >>>Thanks.
      >>>[/color]
      >>
      >>.
      >>[/color]
      >[/color]



      Comment

      • Damaji

        #4
        RE: COMException: Failure


        Hi Peter,

        Thanks for the reply and finding.
        Yes, it works, it still has other problem but as you said
        it must be with aspEasyPdf design.

        Thanks a lot.
        [color=blue]
        >-----Original Message-----
        >Hi Damaji,
        >
        >I have tested your code and I can reproduce the problem.[/color]
        I think it is the[color=blue]
        >issue how aspeasypdf design.
        >You can try the code below which will work on my machine.
        >
        > Dim PDF As aspPDF.EASYPDFC lass
        > PDF = New aspPDF.EASYPDFC lass
        > PDF.OnStartPage (Nothing) 'I think the line code[/color]
        is a key point.[color=blue]
        > PDF.AddText("fs adfsdfsdf")
        > PDF.Save("test. pdf")
        > MsgBox("DONE")
        >
        >You may have a try and let me know the result.
        >
        >Regards,
        >Peter Huang
        >Microsoft Online Partner Support
        >Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
        >This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and[/color]
        confers no rights.[color=blue]
        >
        >
        >--------------------[color=green]
        >>Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
        >>From: "Damaji" <damaji@hotmail .com>
        >>Sender: "Damaji" <damaji@hotmail .com>
        >>References: <0a9601c36e6a$f e463ab0$a001280 a@phx.gbl>[/color]
        ><rTXpshGcDHA.2 116@cpmsftngxa0 6.phx.gbl>[color=green]
        >>Subject: RE: COMException: Failure
        >>Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 10:01:09 -0700
        >>Lines: 84
        >>Message-ID: <015401c37173$c e746c60$a301280 a@phx.gbl>
        >>MIME-Version: 1.0
        >>Content-Type: text/plain;
        >> charset="iso-8859-1"
        >>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
        >>X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
        >>Thread-Index: AcNxc850wp/waIFuRPenAYCBHe HzdA==
        >>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4910.0300
        >>Newsgroups: microsoft.publi c.dotnet.genera l
        >>Path: cpmsftngxa06.ph x.gbl
        >>Xref: cpmsftngxa06.ph x.gbl[/color][/color]
        microsoft.publi c.dotnet.genera l:106955[color=blue][color=green]
        >>NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA11 10.40.1.163
        >>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.publi c.dotnet.genera l
        >>
        >>
        >>Hi Peter:
        >>
        >>Thanks for the reply. We are going nuts over this.
        >>Here are more details.
        >>
        >>1. Created windos application.
        >>2. Added reference to this COM dll.
        >>3. Here is the code:
        >> Dim aPDF As aspPDF.EASYPDFC lass
        >> aPDF = New aspPDF.EASYPDFC lass()
        >> aPDF.AddText("a sdsdsa")
        >>It creates the instance successfully, but fails at last
        >>line with the message below:
        >>
        >>An unhandled exception of
        >>type 'System.Runtime .InteropService s.COMException'
        >>occurred in WindowsApplicat ion1.exe
        >>Additional information: Catastrophic failure.
        >>
        >>The dll is a aspEasyPdf dll which allows creating PDF
        >>documents.
        >>
        >>Thanks.
        >>- D.J.
        >>[color=darkred]
        >>>-----Original Message-----
        >>>Hi Damaji,
        >>>
        >>>Can you post more information about your project for me[/color]
        >>to reproduce the[color=darkred]
        >>>problem?
        >>>I would like to know what is the "dll" used for.
        >>>Have you used the dll in a legacy VB or C/C++ program?[/color]
        >>Did it work well?[color=darkred]
        >>>To narrow down the problem, can you try to create a new[/color]
        >>console project or[color=darkred]
        >>>a windows project ( if the dll is GUI based) to[/color][/color][/color]
        reference[color=blue][color=green]
        >>the dll to see if[color=darkred]
        >>>the problem persists?
        >>>
        >>>I look forward to hearing from you!
        >>>Regards,
        >>>Peter Huang
        >>>Microsoft Online Partner Support
        >>>Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
        >>>This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and[/color]
        >>confers no rights.[color=darkred]
        >>>--------------------
        >>>>Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message
        >>>>From: "Damaji Jambhale" <damaji@hotmail .com>
        >>>>Sender: "Damaji Jambhale" <damaji@hotmail .com>
        >>>>Subject: COMException: Failure
        >>>>Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:20:30 -0700
        >>>>Lines: 10
        >>>>Message-ID: <0a9601c36e6a$f e463ab0$a001280 a@phx.gbl>
        >>>>MIME-Version: 1.0
        >>>>Content-Type: text/plain;
        >>>> charset="iso-8859-1"
        >>>>Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
        >>>>X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000
        >>>>Thread-Index: AcNuav5Gq63F4sU 8QbuQYeScBCf0Kw ==
        >>>>X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE[/color][/color][/color]
        V5.50.4910.0300[color=blue][color=green][color=darkred]
        >>>>Newsgroup s: microsoft.publi c.dotnet.genera l
        >>>>Path: cpmsftngxa06.ph x.gbl
        >>>>Xref: cpmsftngxa06.ph x.gbl[/color]
        >>microsoft.pub lic.dotnet.gene ral:106663[color=darkred]
        >>>>NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA08 10.40.1.160
        >>>>X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.publi c.dotnet.genera l
        >>>>
        >>>>COMExceptio n: Catostrphic failure
        >>>>
        >>>>When I added a "dll" reference in the web project.
        >>>>I was able to instantiate the class OK. But when I[/color][/color][/color]
        tried[color=blue][color=green][color=darkred]
        >>>>to set the properties, it failed with
        >>>>"COMExcepti on: Catostrphic failure".
        >>>>
        >>>>Any idea?
        >>>>
        >>>>Thanks.
        >>>>
        >>>
        >>>.
        >>>[/color]
        >>[/color]
        >
        >
        >
        >.
        >[/color]

        Comment

        Working...