Wireless woes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Strider1066
    New Member
    • Aug 2007
    • 11

    #1

    Wireless woes

    Hi, I can't figure out my wireless (a 2WIRE router/modem) problem. After running the below script both the KWiFiManager and iwconfig shows that my card is working. However, a ping fails. My main card is a bmc4318, but the result is the same with a Linksys pci card.

    I've managed to get wireless working on another laptop under Kubuntu versions of Gutsy and Feisty but now that I'm running Hardy....

    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "2WIRE178"
    iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
    iwconfig wlan0 channel auto
    iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M auto
    iwconfig wlan0 key open s:"1234567890"
    iwconfig wlan0 ap 00:ab:cd:ef:12:34
    iwconfig wlan0 retry 7
    
    iwconfig wlan0
    ping -I wlan0 -c 5 google.com
    
    
    steve@poohsPlace:~$ sudo ./startWireless
    [sudo] password for steve:
    
    <output>
    
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"2WIRE178"
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 00:ab:cd:ef:12:34
              Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=27 dBm
              Retry limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2346 B
              Encryption key:****-****-****-****-****
              Link Quality=75/100  Signal level=-39 dBm  Noise level=-71 dBm
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
    
    PING google.com (72.14.207.99) from 192.168.1.66 wlan0: 56(84) bytes of data.
    From poohs (192.168.1.66) icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
    From poohs (192.168.1.66) icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
    From poohs (192.168.1.66) icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
    From poohs (192.168.1.66) icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable
    From poohs (192.168.1.66) icmp_seq=5 Destination Host Unreachable
    
    --- google.com ping statistics ---
    5 packets transmitted, 0 received, +5 errors, 100% packet loss, time 4045ms, pipe 3
    Any thought would be appreciated.
  • Nepomuk
    Recognized Expert Specialist
    • Aug 2007
    • 3111

    #2
    I'm using Xubuntu Hardy and am therefore not quite sure, that you have absolutely the same network-packages installed as I do (Kubuntu has it's own packages in quite a few areas), but the normal route would be to try via the package "network-admin" instead of trying to set it up manually.
    I've had problems like that in the past and I found, that somehow this package must be interfering with any console-based settings. Of course, if you want to do it manually, you can do so - but then I'd remove network-admin.

    I'm not using WiFi with this computer as it's a Desktop and near to the router, so I'm quite limited in helping. But I'm trying my best :-D

    Greetings,
    Nepomuk

    Comment

    Working...