toolbars - removing them from an already open window

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Steve Dorsey

    #1

    toolbars - removing them from an already open window

    Hello

    I'm creating a web page that contains a flash presentation. I
    currently have it resizing the user's web page and placing it on the
    screen using this script:


    onLoad="javascr ipt:moveTo(((sc reen.availWidth *.5)-500),((screen.a vailHeight*.5)-300));
    window.resizeTo (1000,550); ">


    I'd really like the toolbars to be gone as well (cleaner user
    experience). Since there are a lot of browsers these days that block
    pop-up windows, I cannot really use one of them safely, so I'm looking
    for another way to get rid of the tool bars and such, so that the user
    only sees my presentation.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    --------------------------S
  • Richard Cornford

    #2
    Re: toolbars - removing them from an already open window

    "Steve Dorsey" <junk@dorseygra phics.com> wrote in message
    news:2004021011 072752802%junk@ dorseygraphicsc om...[color=blue]
    > I'm creating a web page that contains a flash presentation.
    >I currently have it resizing the user's web page and placing
    >it on the screen using this script:
    >
    >
    >onLoad="javasc ript:moveTo(((s creen.availWidt h*.5)-500),
    >((screen.avail Height*.5)-300));window.re sizeTo(1000,550 ); ">
    >
    >
    > I'd really like the toolbars to be gone as well (cleaner user
    >experience). Since there are a lot of browsers these days that
    >block pop-up windows, I cannot really use one of them safely,
    >so I'm looking for another way to get rid of the tool bars and
    >such, so that the user only sees my presentation.[/color]

    In addition to using various mechanisms to block pop-ups, there days
    people are increasingly taking advantage of similar mechanisms to
    prevent the moving and re-sizing of browser windows.

    You cannot do anything with, or about, the toolbars, menus, etc. in an
    open browser window (either at all, or under normal Internet security
    conditions where it might otherwise be possible).

    You probably need to adjust your thinking so that it conforms to the
    situation you are working with. A web browser has a display area, in
    which you do your presentation, the rest of the browser is the user's.
    How much of their display is given over to your presentation is up to
    the user, your task is to design flexibly to accommodate the user's
    desires. If the user re-considers their display distribution they can
    change it at will. If they think that less toolbars etc is "cleaner"
    then they can turn them off, if they haven't then your idea of what
    would be best clearly doesn't agree with theirs.

    Richard.


    Comment

    • kaeli

      #3
      Re: toolbars - removing them from an already open window

      In article <20040210110727 52802%junk@dors eygraphicscom>,
      junk@dorseygrap hics.com enlightened us with...[color=blue]
      >
      > Any ideas?
      >[/color]

      Remove toolbars on an existing window? Nope.
      None that would work in my browser. I don't even let you resize a
      window, let alone remove my toolbars. If you did manage it with some
      hack, I'd be mighty peeved, and I'd get them back immediately with
      right-clicks, then I would never visit your site again.

      (I *love* Netscape 7, Mozilla, and Opera *g*)

      Please keep in mind that not everyone uses, or even has, IE. Nor does
      everyone even have, or want, Flash. In fact, some web users are *gasp*
      visually impaired and have special browsers. :)
      The good browsers let the user stop you from mucking up their windows
      with resizes and mucking up their status bar with nonsense, etc.

      Now, if this is a game or something, we expect those might open in
      popups. Most popup blockers will not block a window that is generated
      right from an onClick. Telling users that it opens in a popup lets them
      allow it with a control key (most of the time) if the blocker gets
      pissy.
      Very few users have blockers and don't know it. Very few. But it does
      happen. A little message on the screen telling people that the game
      opens in a new window should give the majority of those people a clue.
      ;)

      HTH

      --
      --
      ~kaeli~
      If you drink, don't park. Accidents cause people.



      Comment

      • DU

        #4
        Re: toolbars - removing them from an already open window

        Steve Dorsey wrote:
        [color=blue]
        > Hello
        >
        > I'm creating a web page that contains a flash presentation. I currently
        > have it resizing the user's web page[/color]

        You can resize your content. You can not resize the user's browser
        window. Not only trying to do so is wrong, anti-user but it is likely
        not to succeed at all.

        and placing it on the screen using[color=blue]
        > this script:
        >
        >
        > onLoad="javascr ipt:moveTo(((sc reen.availWidth *.5)-500),((screen.a vailHeight*.5)-300));
        > window.resizeTo (1000,550); ">
        >[/color]

        Opera 7.x, Mozilla-based browsers and an increasing number of browsers
        allow the users to prevent moving and resizing of already opened
        windows. I'm pretty sure MSIE 6.05 SP2 scheduled to be released in a few
        months (weeks) will give users such control too.
        [color=blue]
        >
        > I'd really like the toolbars to be gone as well (cleaner user
        > experience). Since there are a lot of browsers these days that block
        > pop-up windows,[/color]

        Unrequested popup windows, yes. I know of no browser which favors
        blocking requested popups.
        Even if you use a requested popup to do your presentation, most browsers
        can force back the presence of all toolbars and force back standard
        browser functionalities (like window resizability, presence of
        scrollbars if needed, etc). Even proxomitron for MSIE 6 for windows
        users can do that.

        I cannot really use one of them safely, so I'm looking[color=blue]
        > for another way to get rid of the tool bars and such, so that the user
        > only sees my presentation.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > --------------------------S[/color]


        Just totally "upgrade" your design thinking. If you need to move
        windows, resize windows, remove toolbars, etc.. then it means your
        webpage design is severely flawed and wrong. There is absolutely nothing
        wrong with an user who wants to have all his standard browser
        functionalities working and all his browser toolbars on, visible and
        functional.

        There is a principle which is now universally understood and agreed by
        browser manufacturers: the user has (or should have) absolute power and
        absolute veto over chrome elements, toolbars while the content provider
        should have control over the content (not even its formating nor its
        styling).

        DU

        Comment

        Working...