Debugger?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Peter Morris

    #1

    Debugger?

    Is there a debugger I can use for finding errors in
    JavaScript?


  • SamMan

    #2
    Re: Debugger?


    "Peter Morris" <nospam.ple@se. com> wrote in message
    news:bel094$rsd $1@sparta.btint ernet.com...[color=blue]
    > Is there a debugger I can use for finding errors in
    > JavaScript?
    >
    >[/color]

    Dreamweaver has one, but it may not be economically feasible for some...

    Sam


    Comment

    • Douglas Crockford

      #3
      Re: Debugger?

      > > Is there a debugger I can use for finding errors in[color=blue][color=green]
      > > JavaScript?[/color][/color]
      [color=blue]
      > Dreamweaver has one, but it may not be economically feasible for some...[/color]

      I found Dreamweaver's debugger to be too buggy to use. Have you had better luck
      with it?

      There is a free debugger for Netscape 4 hidden somewhere in
      developer.netsc ape.com. You can get the venkman debugger for the later Netscape
      browsers at mozilla.com.

      The best debugger currently is for IE. It comes with the version 6 Visual Studio
      products. There is a free version available at msdn.microsoft. com, but it is
      missing vital features.



      Comment

      • Lee Harvey

        #4
        Re: Debugger?

        http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/debugger/dbdown.htm


        Some IDE's that also support inline script debugging:

        Macromedia Dreamweaver


        Microsoft Visual InterDev
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/vinterdev/

        NetObjects ScriptBuilder


        "Peter Morris" <nospam.ple@se. com> wrote in message
        news:bel094$rsd $1@sparta.btint ernet.com...
        | Is there a debugger I can use for finding errors in
        | JavaScript?


        Comment

        • Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

          #5
          Re: Debugger?

          "Peter Morris" <nospam.ple@se. com> writes:
          [color=blue]
          > Is there a debugger I can use for finding errors in
          > JavaScript?[/color]

          If all you need is finding errors, you probably only need better error
          messages. Both Mozilla and Opera (and even Netscape 4) gives better
          error messages than IE (displayed in the "Javascript console"), so
          developing your code with these browsers is much easier than with IE.

          If that is not enough, you can use the debuggers other people referred
          to. I have *tried* both the one for Mozilla (Venkman) and the one for
          IE (Microsoft Script Debugger), but I have never needed them.

          /L
          --
          Lasse Reichstein Nielsen - lrn@hotpop.com
          Art D'HTML: <URL:http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/randomArtSplit. html>
          'Faith without judgement merely degrades the spirit divine.'

          Comment

          Working...