Can't install Java? Please help!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Knoxville
    New Member
    • Dec 2006
    • 1

    #1

    Can't install Java? Please help!

    Hello, I hope someone here can answer my question.
    To the point, I recently formatted my PC which is currently running on Windows ME (old, I know). I tried to install Java, both through offline and online installations, but it keeps giving me this message:

    Unexpected installation error:
    The installation of package http://java.sun.com/update/1.5.0/jre-1_5_0_10-windows-i586-jc.xpi
    failed with -203


    At this point I have no idea what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • sixerjman
    New Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 1

    #2
    I get the same error on Win98SE, trying to install via Firefox. When trying to install via IE6, the error message is different, something about needing an Active X component to install JRE 1.5.0 update 7 first, but it pertains to WinXP. The Linux version went on just fine.

    For what it's worth, from googling 'jre installation error' I see a rash of problems related to the installer from update 6 onward, but nothing official on the sun site. It may be time to file an official bug report.

    Comment

    • Rocean
      New Member
      • Feb 2007
      • 1

      #3
      Do you have a firewall blocking the windows installer app from accessing the internet?

      Allow it!

      Comment

      Working...