manual rebalancing

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • spider007

    #1

    manual rebalancing

    Hi all,

    I have certain questions for which I am not able to get any answers.

    1. Can I manually rebalance a tablespace? The problem is that I have a
    18 hr live production environment. If a tablespace gets full during
    this time, I can use "BEGIN NEW STRIPE SET" option to add a container
    without rebalance and continue my transactions. At the end of the day,
    I want to rebalance the data. So is there any way to manually
    rebalance the tablespace.

    2. Can I read already committed data?. I have certain records which
    are getting updated. So there is a IX lock on those records. Can I
    read the column's previous value?

    Please help me out in solving this.

    Saurabh

  • Knut Stolze

    #2
    Re: manual rebalancing

    spider007 wrote:
    2. Can I read already committed data?.
    You can _only_ read committed data, unless you use the UR isolation level
    (UR = uncommitted read).
    I have certain records which
    are getting updated. So there is a IX lock on those records. Can I
    read the column's previous value?
    No. You will have to maintain the before image yourself somehow yourself.

    --
    Knut Stolze
    DB2 z/OS Utilities Development
    IBM Germany

    Comment

    • Ian

      #3
      Re: manual rebalancing

      spider007 wrote:
      1. Can I manually rebalance a tablespace? The problem is that I have a
      18 hr live production environment. If a tablespace gets full during
      this time, I can use "BEGIN NEW STRIPE SET" option to add a container
      without rebalance and continue my transactions. At the end of the day,
      I want to rebalance the data. So is there any way to manually
      rebalance the tablespace.

      No. Once you've started a new stripe set, the old one is frozen.

      However, why don't you just extend your existing containers (i.e.,
      "alter tablespace ... extend ... ")?

      That saves you from having to rebalance at all.

      Comment

      Working...