Configuring Extent Size

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Racerx

    #1

    Configuring Extent Size

    Hi All:
    Can anyone suggest me how to determine the optimised size for the
    following:

    1.Extends
    2.Tablespaces
    3.Bufferpools


    Regards,

  • Knut Stolze

    #2
    Re: Configuring Extent Size

    Racerx wrote:
    Hi All:
    Can anyone suggest me how to determine the optimised size for the
    following:
    >
    1.Extends
    2.Tablespaces
    3.Bufferpools
    What's an "optimized size"?

    --
    Knut Stolze
    DB2 Information Integration Development
    IBM Germany

    Comment

    • jefftyzzer

      #3
      Re: Configuring Extent Size

      I can appreciate what you're trying to do, but you're (perhaps
      innocently) asking a rather large question.

      I think the first thing to do is to figure out the expected
      cardinalities within each table you intend your database to "host."
      >From there, you can decide extent sizes (keeping in mind the goal of
      minimizing dynamic extent allocations and extent interleaving),
      tablespace sizing, table-to-tablespace allocation, and
      tablespace-to-bufferpool allocation.

      If my answer sounds like a bit of a cop-out, I apologize, and I don't
      mean to sound brusque, but this topic is so well-covered in the DB2
      manuals, 3rd party books, other web pages, etc. that you should have no
      problem finding what you need without the need for a short-shrift
      rehash here.

      Regards,

      --Jeff

      Racerx wrote:
      Hi All:
      Can anyone suggest me how to determine the optimised size for the
      following:
      >
      1.Extends
      2.Tablespaces
      3.Bufferpools
      >
      >
      Regards,

      Comment

      • prakash56@gmail.com

        #4
        Re: Configuring Extent Size

        For Extent:

        Please go through the link given below:


        Tablespace:
        Please let me know what actually you would like know for tablespace

        Bufferpools:
        for DSS start with 50% of the memory
        for OLTP start with 75% of the available memory

        Regards
        Prakash Gautam


        Racerx wrote:
        Hi All:
        Can anyone suggest me how to determine the optimised size for the
        following:
        >
        1.Extends
        2.Tablespaces
        3.Bufferpools
        >
        >
        Regards,

        Comment

        • tsmithnj@gmail.com

          #5
          Re: Configuring Extent Size

          What I'm more inclined to ask is, "why is this so difficult?"

          Why doesn't IBM put the answers to these types of questions in the
          documentation?

          You shouldn't have to spend 7 figures on a BCU to get this answered
          definitively





          jefftyzzer wrote:
          I can appreciate what you're trying to do, but you're (perhaps
          innocently) asking a rather large question.
          >
          I think the first thing to do is to figure out the expected
          cardinalities within each table you intend your database to "host."
          >
          From there, you can decide extent sizes (keeping in mind the goal of
          minimizing dynamic extent allocations and extent interleaving),
          tablespace sizing, table-to-tablespace allocation, and
          tablespace-to-bufferpool allocation.
          >
          If my answer sounds like a bit of a cop-out, I apologize, and I don't
          mean to sound brusque, but this topic is so well-covered in the DB2
          manuals, 3rd party books, other web pages, etc. that you should have no
          problem finding what you need without the need for a short-shrift
          rehash here.
          >
          Regards,
          >
          --Jeff
          >
          Racerx wrote:
          Hi All:
          Can anyone suggest me how to determine the optimised size for the
          following:

          1.Extends
          2.Tablespaces
          3.Bufferpools


          Regards,

          Comment

          • tsmithnj@gmail.com

            #6
            Re: Configuring Extent Size

            What I'm more inclined to ask is, "why is this so difficult?"

            Why doesn't IBM put the answers to these types of questions in the
            documentation?

            You shouldn't have to spend 7 figures on a BCU to get this answered
            definitively





            jefftyzzer wrote:
            I can appreciate what you're trying to do, but you're (perhaps
            innocently) asking a rather large question.
            >
            I think the first thing to do is to figure out the expected
            cardinalities within each table you intend your database to "host."
            >
            From there, you can decide extent sizes (keeping in mind the goal of
            minimizing dynamic extent allocations and extent interleaving),
            tablespace sizing, table-to-tablespace allocation, and
            tablespace-to-bufferpool allocation.
            >
            If my answer sounds like a bit of a cop-out, I apologize, and I don't
            mean to sound brusque, but this topic is so well-covered in the DB2
            manuals, 3rd party books, other web pages, etc. that you should have no
            problem finding what you need without the need for a short-shrift
            rehash here.
            >
            Regards,
            >
            --Jeff
            >
            Racerx wrote:
            Hi All:
            Can anyone suggest me how to determine the optimised size for the
            following:

            1.Extends
            2.Tablespaces
            3.Bufferpools


            Regards,

            Comment

            • tsmithnj@gmail.com

              #7
              Re: Configuring Extent Size

              What I'm more inclined to ask is, "why is this so difficult?"

              Why doesn't IBM put the answers to these types of questions in the
              documentation?

              You shouldn't have to spend 7 figures on a BCU to get this answered
              definitively





              jefftyzzer wrote:
              I can appreciate what you're trying to do, but you're (perhaps
              innocently) asking a rather large question.
              >
              I think the first thing to do is to figure out the expected
              cardinalities within each table you intend your database to "host."
              >
              From there, you can decide extent sizes (keeping in mind the goal of
              minimizing dynamic extent allocations and extent interleaving),
              tablespace sizing, table-to-tablespace allocation, and
              tablespace-to-bufferpool allocation.
              >
              If my answer sounds like a bit of a cop-out, I apologize, and I don't
              mean to sound brusque, but this topic is so well-covered in the DB2
              manuals, 3rd party books, other web pages, etc. that you should have no
              problem finding what you need without the need for a short-shrift
              rehash here.
              >
              Regards,
              >
              --Jeff
              >
              Racerx wrote:
              Hi All:
              Can anyone suggest me how to determine the optimised size for the
              following:

              1.Extends
              2.Tablespaces
              3.Bufferpools


              Regards,

              Comment

              • Haider Rizvi

                #8
                Re: Configuring Extent Size

                tsmithnj@gmail. com writes:
                What I'm more inclined to ask is, "why is this so difficult?"
                >
                Why doesn't IBM put the answers to these types of questions in the
                documentation?
                >
                You shouldn't have to spend 7 figures on a BCU to get this
                answered definitively
                BCU tries to answer these questions definitively, for the particular
                case of a data warehousing configuration. We think (and have run
                enough tests before making those bcu recommendations to know) that it
                will perform well with the recommendations .

                DB2 overall is a pretty flexible architecture, and folks often want to
                know the details of why things behave a particular way. That's what
                the docs being pointed to explain.

                So you can just go with the configurations defined in the BCU, and if
                you want to understand why it is explained in the various docs.

                Regards,
                - Haider

                Comment

                • Haider Rizvi

                  #9
                  Re: Configuring Extent Size

                  Haider Rizvi <harizvi@gmail. comwrites:
                  BCU tries to answer these questions definitively, for the
                  particular case of a data warehousing configuration. We think (and
                  have run enough tests before making those bcu recommendations to
                  know) that it will perform well with the recommendations .
                  Pressed send too fast ...

                  I'd gladly take feedback on the BCU docs, and things you find to be
                  unclear / incomplete. Feel free to email me with feedback.

                  Regards,
                  --
                  Haider

                  PS: This is not an invitation to email me asking for tuning advice,
                  bypass support or things that should be discussed here in the
                  newsgroup.

                  Comment

                  • tsmithnj@gmail.com

                    #10
                    Re: Configuring Extent Size

                    The BCU documentation is *excellent*-- What I am suggesting is the
                    generic documentation provided similar recommendations . Obviously the
                    recommendations would not be as granular as the BCU, but guidelines
                    based on specific manufacturers -- or tools to benchmark performance to
                    derive these types of settings would be great.

                    As a big DB2 fan running on non IBM hardware, I am left to my own
                    devices to arrive at the correct tunables. Since we see questions like
                    the OPs almost daily, I just posed the what is at a minimum my desire
                    for what I'd like to see from IBM.

                    Given the maturity of the project, noobs (and non-noobs!) shoulds have
                    access to better direction/documentation. (IMHO)


                    Cheers

                    Haider Rizvi wrote:
                    Haider Rizvi <harizvi@gmail. comwrites:
                    >
                    BCU tries to answer these questions definitively, for the
                    particular case of a data warehousing configuration. We think (and
                    have run enough tests before making those bcu recommendations to
                    know) that it will perform well with the recommendations .
                    >
                    Pressed send too fast ...
                    >
                    I'd gladly take feedback on the BCU docs, and things you find to be
                    unclear / incomplete. Feel free to email me with feedback.
                    >
                    Regards,
                    --
                    Haider
                    >
                    PS: This is not an invitation to email me asking for tuning advice,
                    bypass support or things that should be discussed here in the
                    newsgroup.

                    Comment

                    Working...