DB2 authentication

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Frank Swarbrick

    #1

    DB2 authentication

    Here's a question I posted to the VSE list. I know there are few if any VSE
    users around here, but I thought a z/OS person (or even another OS) might be
    able to answer...


    Still pondering VSE and DB2. Don't have DB2 Server for VSE up yet to
    actually test anything, but I feel the burning need to have this question
    answered sooner rather than later...

    According to the SQL Reference (for VSE) both an authorization name (userID)
    and a password are always required for a batch job using the CONNECT
    statement. What does this mean in terms of operators submitting batch jobs
    that access DB2 databases? I can't imagine that you would have the operator
    type in their user ID and password each time they need to submit a
    production batch job. Do you use your ESM to determine who the user is?
    How do you get the password?

    Can operators have database rights only through applications? In other
    words, we wouldn't want to have an operator be able to connect to a database
    via the CLP or Control Center and update tables, but they certainly need to
    have update capability when submitting batch jobs. [Actually, I believe I
    have found the answer to this, and the answer is yes, by only authorizing
    the operators to have rights via bound packages.]

    If connecting to a remote DB2/LUW database, how does the DB2/LUW "client"
    authentication come in to play. Is there any type of ID mapping available?
    For instance, right now I have a VSE user ID of 'FJS', but my ID on our
    DB2/LUW server is 'fjswarbr'. Do these names need to be the same, or is
    there some way to 'map' them?

    Thanks!
    Frank


    ---
    Frank Swarbrick
    Senior Developer/Analyst - Mainframe Applications
    FirstBank Data Corporation - Lakewood, CO USA
  • Artur

    #2
    Re: DB2 authentication

    Frank,

    I know nothing about VSE, but anyway I would like to comment on DB2/LUW
    authentication.

    When you are connecting to DB2/LUW database you have to specify user
    and password, eg. CONNECT TO dbonluw USER dbuser USING password.
    Sometimes the user is different from the user that runs application, so
    in your case the dbuser/password should be stored within a batch
    script. On z/OS you can configure Communications Database to store
    users and passwords when connecting z/OS client to DB2/LUW database (as
    described in: "Understand ing DB2(R): Learning Visually with
    Examples", Appendix E),but I don't know how it differs from DB2 for
    VSE.

    How DB2/LUW authenticates depends on DB2 instance configuration. With
    default configuration it is based on operating system users and
    passwords on DB2 server. But also you can write your authentication
    plugin (GSS-API), which for example positively authenticate only users
    who are connecting from certain application. The same users might not
    be authenticated, when connecting from CLP. There is set of articles on
    ibm.com/developerworks describing DB2/LUW authentication.
    Authentications plugins are used in special cases, so probably not in
    your case.

    -- Artur Wronski

    Comment

    • Frank Swarbrick

      #3
      Re: DB2 authentication

      Hi Artur,

      I don't see that VSE has anything similar to the z/OS CDB, but I think I can
      at least make some use of how it works.

      Thanks for the information,
      Frank

      ---
      Frank Swarbrick
      Senior Developer/Analyst - Mainframe Applications
      FirstBank Data Corporation - Lakewood, CO USA
      >>Artur<artur.w ronski@gmail.co m09/24/06 1:30 PM >>>
      Frank,

      I know nothing about VSE, but anyway I would like to comment on DB2/LUW
      authentication.

      When you are connecting to DB2/LUW database you have to specify user
      and password, eg. CONNECT TO dbonluw USER dbuser USING password.
      Sometimes the user is different from the user that runs application, so
      in your case the dbuser/password should be stored within a batch
      script. On z/OS you can configure Communications Database to store
      users and passwords when connecting z/OS client to DB2/LUW database (as
      described in: "Understand ing DB2(R): Learning Visually with
      Examples", Appendix E),but I don't know how it differs from DB2 for
      VSE.

      How DB2/LUW authenticates depends on DB2 instance configuration. With
      default configuration it is based on operating system users and
      passwords on DB2 server. But also you can write your authentication
      plugin (GSS-API), which for example positively authenticate only users
      who are connecting from certain application. The same users might not
      be authenticated, when connecting from CLP. There is set of articles on
      ibm.com/developerworks describing DB2/LUW authentication.
      Authentications plugins are used in special cases, so probably not in
      your case.

      -- Artur Wronski



      Comment

      Working...