I NEED Help with EXEcutables

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tennisacer343
    New Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 7

    #1

    I NEED Help with EXEcutables

    i need a code to be able to open a exe file in a program i have tried numerous ways. i need help. I have tried shell, and win exec but it says it is not identified. I really need help.
  • sicarie
    Recognized Expert Specialist
    • Nov 2006
    • 4677

    #2
    And exe is a low-level format file - you can't just 'open' it. You can execute it.

    What are you trying to do?

    Comment

    • tennisacer343
      New Member
      • Dec 2007
      • 7

      #3
      i have create numerous programs and i want to be able to make a central program to be able to open the others if you click a button. i use windows forms application so all the other language like shellexecute and system don't work or i am not doing it right.
      I am a noob lol

      Comment

      • sicarie
        Recognized Expert Specialist
        • Nov 2006
        • 4677

        #4
        So you can either do a QAD (quick and dirty) where you use system() to call your other programs, or you can use the source from your original programs and employ it in there (which is a much better approach).

        Comment

        • tennisacer343
          New Member
          • Dec 2007
          • 7

          #5
          how would i do the second way?? I have tried the system but it didn't work

          Comment

          • sicarie
            Recognized Expert Specialist
            • Nov 2006
            • 4677

            #6
            You would use the source code from the original files. Create your window and buttons, and have them call the code, either as library functions or directly (you'd have to copy and paste the code into your new project then go through a bunch of debugging steps, which is why it isn't recommended).

            Comment

            • tennisacer343
              New Member
              • Dec 2007
              • 7

              #7
              can u show me the code to do what u just said

              Comment

              • sicarie
                Recognized Expert Specialist
                • Nov 2006
                • 4677

                #8
                Nope. I'm here to help you, not to do your work for you. Try it yourself, spend some time playing around with it, and if you still can't get it, post your questions here and we'll help.

                PS - that's in addition to the fact that it's all your code, and I don't have any of it...

                Comment

                • tennisacer343
                  New Member
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 7

                  #9
                  i have tried numerous ways and that why i am here because i need help. I have tried the shellexecut, the system(), and other ways, and i don't know what to do. I have no code except the code the template created for me with a button. i repeat myself i am using a windows forms temp. and i am very much new at this. Do i have to add things extra to shellexecute to make them work, or system(), but i found just putting them in under the button's line of code doesnt work. I only have one button.

                  Comment

                  • sicarie
                    Recognized Expert Specialist
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 4677

                    #10
                    Originally posted by tennisacer343
                    i have tried numerous ways and that why i am here because i need help. I have tried the shellexecut, the system(), and other ways, and i don't know what to do. I have no code except the code the template created for me with a button. i repeat myself i am using a windows forms temp. and i am very much new at this. Do i have to add things extra to shellexecute to make them work, or system(), but i found just putting them in under the button's line of code doesnt work. I only have one button.
                    Okay, first of all, I wouldn't worry about the buttons, i would create a console program to make sure you can call those executables. From there, it sounds like you really need to brush up on your Win32 API skills, and tackle the program without the defeatist attitude.

                    Can you get the other programs to execute in a simple console program (without using the win32 API)?

                    Comment

                    • tennisacer343
                      New Member
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 7

                      #11
                      sorry for the pessimism but i have tried a lot on this. Before i see anything else i am extremely new at this and i only know how to use CLR Windows forms app. I am an extreme noob to this. I want to use a button because in my small knowledge that would be easiest because u could just do button1->Click and go from there but i did that and i couldn't get to the next step

                      Comment

                      • sicarie
                        Recognized Expert Specialist
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 4677

                        #12
                        Originally posted by sicarie
                        Okay, first of all, I wouldn't worry about the buttons, i would create a console program to make sure you can call those executables. From there, it sounds like you really need to brush up on your Win32 API skills, and tackle the program without the defeatist attitude.

                        Can you get the other programs to execute in a simple console program (without using the win32 API)?
                        . .

                        Comment

                        • tennisacer343
                          New Member
                          • Dec 2007
                          • 7

                          #13
                          Originally posted by tennisacer343
                          i only know how to use CLR Windows forms app. I am an extreme noob to this. I want to use a button because in my small knowledge that would be easiest because u could just do button1->Click and go from there but i did that and i couldn't get to the next step

                          i don't know Win32 only clr

                          Comment

                          Working...