help with setw and width functions!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jess

    #1

    help with setw and width functions!

    Hello,

    I'm trying to use setw and width functions to set the padding spaces
    between numbers. The aim is to create two white spaces between two
    double e.g. "1.1 1.2". I did:

    streamsize s = cout.width(); // get the default width

    cout << 1.1 << setw(2) << 1.2 << setw(s) << endl;

    However, I didn't get any space at all, the output was simply
    "1.11.2". Have I done something wrong?

    Moreover, I had:

    using std::width

    but the compiler complained it and I had to remove "std". I thought
    "width" is in std, is it not?

    Thanks!

  • Pete Becker

    #2
    Re: help with setw and width functions!

    Jess wrote:
    Hello,
    >
    I'm trying to use setw and width functions to set the padding spaces
    between numbers. The aim is to create two white spaces between two
    double e.g. "1.1 1.2". I did:
    >
    streamsize s = cout.width(); // get the default width
    >
    cout << 1.1 << setw(2) << 1.2 << setw(s) << endl;
    >
    However, I didn't get any space at all, the output was simply
    "1.11.2". Have I done something wrong?
    >
    Moreover, I had:
    >
    using std::width
    >
    but the compiler complained it and I had to remove "std". I thought
    "width" is in std, is it not?
    >
    Thanks!
    >
    If you want two spaces, put in two spaces:

    cout << 1.1 << " " << 1.2 << '\n';

    setw sets the minimum width for the next insertion. Since the 1.2
    requires three characters, there is no padding needed to get it to at
    least two characters.

    --

    -- Pete
    Roundhouse Consulting, Ltd. (www.versatilecoding.com)
    Author of "The Standard C++ Library Extensions: a Tutorial and
    Reference." (www.petebecker.com/tr1book)

    Comment

    • Jess

      #3
      Re: help with setw and width functions!

      So setw doesn't set the width of the gap between the current and next
      input? I thought it meant the gap's distance. Thanks for letting me
      know!

      Comment

      • jk

        #4
        Re: help with setw and width functions!

        On 22 Mar 2007 04:59:06 -0700, "Jess" <wdfcj@hotmail. comwrote:
        >So setw doesn't set the width of the gap between the current and next
        >input? I thought it meant the gap's distance. Thanks for letting me
        >know!
        try setw(5),,,,

        Comment

        Working...