MS Visual c++ .net question

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Durham Writer

    #1

    MS Visual c++ .net question

    Hi all,
    I am trying to learn c++ for the first time, having used 'c' in the
    past. It was a long
    time ago and I'm getting back into programming. I was wondering if I could
    get some
    help regarding the ms visual languages. I have MS Visual Studio .net 2003.
    I have a
    tutorial book on MS Visual C++ .NET but it's the version before 2003. Have
    things changed
    radically such that I should not use a book designed for visual c++ .net in
    a .net 2003
    environment? I know it would be desirable to learn more about the .net 2003
    environment and
    the languages in that environment, but I'm wondering if the language itself
    c++ can be
    learned to any degree from this book.
    Thank you,
    Bruce

    --
    +++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++
    Bruce M. Whealton, Jr.
    Publisher/Webmaster Co-Editor of
    Word Salad - Literary Magazine at:

    ICQ # 15782569
    MSN IM: brucewhealton@h otmail.com
    Yahoo IM: brucewhealton
    AIM: BruceMWhealton
    Check out some charitable sites:



    +++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++ ++


  • Mike Wahler

    #2
    Re: [OT, welcome msg, redir, links] MS Visual c++ .net question

    Durham Writer <durham-writer@earthlin k.net> wrote in message
    news:ufd1b.9353 $B8.8986@newsre ad2.news.atl.ea rthlink.net...
    [color=blue]
    > Re: MS Visual c++ .net question[/color]

    In this newsgroup, "C++" means ISO standard C++.
    MS Visual C++ .NET is not C++
    [color=blue]
    > Hi all,
    > I am trying to learn c++ for the first time, having used 'c' in the
    > past. It was a long
    > time ago and I'm getting back into programming. I was wondering if I[/color]
    could[color=blue]
    > get some
    > help regarding the ms visual languages.[/color]

    Not here. Try a Microsoft newsgroup. You can find them
    from www.microsoft.com , www.groups.google.com , or www.usenet.org
    [color=blue]
    >I have MS Visual Studio .net 2003.
    > I have a
    > tutorial book on MS Visual C++ .NET but it's the version before 2003.[/color]
    Have[color=blue]
    > things changed
    > radically such that I should not use a book designed for visual c++ .net[/color]
    in[color=blue]
    > a .net 2003
    > environment? I know it would be desirable to learn more about the .net[/color]
    2003[color=blue]
    > environment and
    > the languages in that environment, but I'm wondering if the language[/color]
    itself[color=blue]
    > c++ can be
    > learned to any degree from this book.[/color]

    No. MS Visual C++ .NET is not C++.

    Better see:


    -Mike



    Comment

    • John Harrison

      #3
      Re: MS Visual c++ .net question


      "Durham Writer" <durham-writer@earthlin k.net> wrote in message
      news:ufd1b.9353 $B8.8986@newsre ad2.news.atl.ea rthlink.net...[color=blue]
      > Hi all,
      > I am trying to learn c++ for the first time, having used 'c' in the
      > past. It was a long
      > time ago and I'm getting back into programming. I was wondering if I[/color]
      could[color=blue]
      > get some
      > help regarding the ms visual languages. I have MS Visual Studio .net[/color]
      2003.[color=blue]
      > I have a
      > tutorial book on MS Visual C++ .NET but it's the version before 2003.[/color]
      Have[color=blue]
      > things changed
      > radically such that I should not use a book designed for visual c++ .net[/color]
      in[color=blue]
      > a .net 2003
      > environment? I know it would be desirable to learn more about the .net[/color]
      2003[color=blue]
      > environment and
      > the languages in that environment, but I'm wondering if the language[/color]
      itself[color=blue]
      > c++ can be
      > learned to any degree from this book.
      > Thank you,
      > Bruce[/color]

      Suggest that you learn C++ itself before you try to learn MS Visual C++
      ..NET, whatever that involves.

      The MSVC++ 2003 version is a big improvement in C++ standards compliance.
      Specifically partial template specialisation was added. Since you don't know
      C++ that will mean nothing to you, which just reinforces the idea that you
      should learn some C++ first.

      john


      Comment

      Working...