using insertion sort with a linked list

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Julia

    #1

    using insertion sort with a linked list

    I am trying to sort a linked list using insertion sort. I have seen a
    lot of ways to get around this problem but no time-efficient and
    space-efficient solution. This is what I have so far:

    struct node
    {
    int x;
    struct node *next;
    };

    void sort(struct node *root, struct node *conductor)
    {
    while(0 != conductor->next)
    {
    while(conductor->x < conductor->next->x)
    {
    conductor = conductor->next;
    }
    node *temp, *temp2;
    temp = new node;
    temp2 = new node;
    temp = root;
    temp2 = root;
    while(conductor->next->x temp->x)
    {
    temp2 = temp;
    temp = temp->next;
    }
    temp2->next = temp->next;
    temp->next = temp2->next->next;
    temp2->next->next = temp;
    }
    return;
    }

  • Kai-Uwe Bux

    #2
    Re: using insertion sort with a linked list

    Julia wrote:
    I am trying to sort a linked list using insertion sort.
    Consider using std::list. It has a sort method. Also consider using other
    standard containers. There is no need to roll your own list code.
    I have seen a
    lot of ways to get around this problem but no time-efficient and
    space-efficient solution.
    If I recall correctly, insertion sort has quadratic complexity anyway. So
    what do you mean by efficient?
    This is what I have so far:
    >
    struct node
    {
    int x;
    struct node *next;
    };
    >
    void sort(struct node *root, struct node *conductor)
    {
    while(0 != conductor->next)
    {
    while(conductor->x < conductor->next->x)
    {
    conductor = conductor->next;
    }
    It appears this loop might run past the end of your list.
    node *temp, *temp2;
    temp = new node;
    temp2 = new node;
    temp = root;
    temp2 = root;
    while(conductor->next->x temp->x)
    {
    temp2 = temp;
    temp = temp->next;
    }
    Same here. In order to asses correctness, however, one would need to know
    the preconditions of the contract for sort.
    temp2->next = temp->next;
    temp->next = temp2->next->next;
    temp2->next->next = temp;
    }
    return;
    }
    I am with you so far. Now, what is your question?


    Best

    Kai-Uwe Bux

    Comment

    • Julia

      #3
      Re: using insertion sort with a linked list


      Kai-Uwe Bux wrote:
      Julia wrote:
      >
      I am trying to sort a linked list using insertion sort.
      >
      Consider using std::list. It has a sort method. Also consider using other
      standard containers. There is no need to roll your own list code.
      >
      I know there is no need to write my own code. I am doing it to
      challenge for myself as opposed to actually using it for something.
      I have seen a
      lot of ways to get around this problem but no time-efficient and
      space-efficient solution.
      >
      If I recall correctly, insertion sort has quadratic complexity anyway. So
      what do you mean by efficient?
      >
      Obviously using an insertion sort on a linked list is a waste of time,
      energy and space. However, some of the other solutions I have seen to
      this puzzel have consisted of transferring the data from the linked
      list to an array, sorting the array and transferring the data back to a
      linked list. I would like to do this without using that many extra
      memory locations.
      This is what I have so far:

      struct node
      {
      int x;
      struct node *next;
      };

      void sort(struct node *root, struct node *conductor)
      {
      while(0 != conductor->next)
      {
      while(conductor->x < conductor->next->x)
      {
      conductor = conductor->next;
      }
      >
      It appears this loop might run past the end of your list.
      Hmmm... should the while statement be
      (conductor->x < conductor->next->x) && (0 != conductor->next)
      >
      node *temp, *temp2;
      temp = new node;
      temp2 = new node;
      temp = root;
      temp2 = root;
      while(conductor->next->x temp->x)
      {
      temp2 = temp;
      temp = temp->next;
      }
      >
      Same here. In order to asses correctness, however, one would need to know
      the preconditions of the contract for sort.
      Should I add the same thing here? The preconditions are that there is a
      root that points to the first item in a linked list. The last item in
      the list points to a null value. each item in the list contains an
      integer value and a pointer to the next item in the list.
      >
      temp2->next = temp->next;
      temp->next = temp2->next->next;
      temp2->next->next = temp;
      }
      return;
      }
      >
      I am with you so far. Now, what is your question?
      Right now the program has an infinite loop (i think) for some sets of
      data. It works perfectly for other sets of data though.
      >
      >
      Best
      >
      Kai-Uwe Bux

      Comment

      • Kai-Uwe Bux

        #4
        Re: using insertion sort with a linked list

        Julia wrote:
        >
        Kai-Uwe Bux wrote:
        >Julia wrote:
        >>
        I am trying to sort a linked list using insertion sort.
        >>
        >Consider using std::list. It has a sort method. Also consider using other
        >standard containers. There is no need to roll your own list code.
        >>
        >
        I know there is no need to write my own code. I am doing it to
        challenge for myself as opposed to actually using it for something.
        >
        I have seen a
        lot of ways to get around this problem but no time-efficient and
        space-efficient solution.
        >>
        >If I recall correctly, insertion sort has quadratic complexity anyway. So
        >what do you mean by efficient?
        >>
        >
        Obviously using an insertion sort on a linked list is a waste of time,
        energy and space. However, some of the other solutions I have seen to
        this puzzel have consisted of transferring the data from the linked
        list to an array, sorting the array and transferring the data back to a
        linked list. I would like to do this without using that many extra
        memory locations.
        >
        This is what I have so far:
        >
        struct node
        {
        int x;
        struct node *next;
        };
        >
        void sort(struct node *root, struct node *conductor)
        {
        while(0 != conductor->next)
        {
        while(conductor->x < conductor->next->x)
        {
        conductor = conductor->next;
        }
        >>
        >It appears this loop might run past the end of your list.
        Hmmm... should the while statement be
        (conductor->x < conductor->next->x) && (0 != conductor->next)
        Other way:

        ( conductor->next != 0 ) && ( conductor->x < conductor->next->x )

        This makes sure that conductor->next->x is only evaluated if it is
        meaningful.
        >>
        node *temp, *temp2;
        temp = new node;
        temp2 = new node;
        temp = root;
        temp2 = root;
        while(conductor->next->x temp->x)
        {
        temp2 = temp;
        temp = temp->next;
        }
        >>
        >Same here. In order to asses correctness, however, one would need to know
        >the preconditions of the contract for sort.
        Should I add the same thing here? The preconditions are that there is a
        root that points to the first item in a linked list. The last item in
        the list points to a null value. each item in the list contains an
        integer value and a pointer to the next item in the list.
        Yeah, you should have a test

        conductor->next != 0

        before the loop and you should have a test

        temp != 0

        within the loop.
        >>
        temp2->next = temp->next;
        temp->next = temp2->next->next;
        temp2->next->next = temp;
        }
        return;
        }
        >>
        >I am with you so far. Now, what is your question?
        Right now the program has an infinite loop (i think) for some sets of
        data. It works perfectly for other sets of data though.
        The first of the two loops runs off the end for conductor pointing to a list
        that is sorted in increasing order. Is that among the kind of data for
        which the program fails?



        Best

        Kai-Uwe Bux

        Comment

        • Markus Moll

          #5
          Re: using insertion sort with a linked list

          Hi

          Julia wrote:
          Obviously using an insertion sort on a linked list is a waste of time,
          energy and space. However, some of the other solutions I have seen to
          this puzzel have consisted of transferring the data from the linked
          list to an array, sorting the array and transferring the data back to a
          linked list. I would like to do this without using that many extra
          memory locations.
          Why don't you use in-place merge-sort or quick-sort?
          In-place merge-sort should be easy to implement.
          Hmmm... should the while statement be
          (conductor->x < conductor->next->x) && (0 != conductor->next)
          Actually it would be better to test for conductor->next != 0 _first_, before
          trying to dereference conductor->next:

          (0 != conductor->next) && (conductor->x < conductor->next->x)

          Also, you would have to return after the loop in case 0 == conductor->next,
          because then your list is completely sorted.
          node *temp, *temp2;
          temp = new node;
          temp2 = new node;
          temp = root;
          temp2 = root;
          while(conductor->next->x temp->x)
          {
          temp2 = temp;
          temp = temp->next;
          }
          Some more remarks:

          1. You have a memory leak here. You allocate two nodes and immediately
          discard all pointer pointing to them.

          2. Looks like you're trying to find the two nodes temp2 and temp between
          which conductor should be inserted. You should use the
          invariant "temp2->next == temp", so you had better initialize temp with
          root->next (more intelligible). At the same time, you might think about
          renaming these variables ("temp" is rarely a good name).
          Should I add the same thing here?
          In fact you needn't, as you know that eventually temp->x >=
          conductor->next->x (hint: temp == conductor)

          You should also consider using a wrapper class (mylist?) around your nodes
          so that you cannot pass around internal nodes but only complete lists.
          Secondly, I don't see the point in passing conductor as an argument instead
          of declaring it as a local variable...

          Markus

          Comment

          • Dmitri Sologoubenko

            #6
            Re: using insertion sort with a linked list

            Kai-Uwe Bux wrote:
            Julia wrote:
            >
            >I am trying to sort a linked list using insertion sort.
            >
            Consider using std::list. It has a sort method. Also consider using other
            standard containers. There is no need to roll your own list code.
            >
            >I have seen a
            >lot of ways to get around this problem but no time-efficient and
            >space-efficient solution.
            >
            If I recall correctly, insertion sort has quadratic complexity anyway. So
            what do you mean by efficient?
            >
            >This is what I have so far:
            >>
            >struct node
            >{
            > int x;
            > struct node *next;
            >};
            >>
            >void sort(struct node *root, struct node *conductor)
            >{
            > while(0 != conductor->next)
            > {
            > while(conductor->x < conductor->next->x)
            > {
            > conductor = conductor->next;
            > }
            >
            It appears this loop might run past the end of your list.
            >
            > node *temp, *temp2;
            > temp = new node;
            > temp2 = new node;
            > temp = root;
            > temp2 = root;
            > while(conductor->next->x temp->x)
            > {
            > temp2 = temp;
            > temp = temp->next;
            > }
            >
            Same here. In order to asses correctness, however, one would need to know
            the preconditions of the contract for sort.
            >
            > temp2->next = temp->next;
            > temp->next = temp2->next->next;
            > temp2->next->next = temp;
            > }
            > return;
            >}
            >
            I am with you so far. Now, what is your question?
            >
            >
            Best
            >
            Kai-Uwe Bux

            Comment

            • Dmitri Sologoubenko

              #7
              Re: using insertion sort with a linked list

              Markus Moll wrote:
              Hi
              >
              Julia wrote:
              >
              >Obviously using an insertion sort on a linked list is a waste of time,
              >energy and space. However, some of the other solutions I have seen to
              >this puzzel have consisted of transferring the data from the linked
              >list to an array, sorting the array and transferring the data back to a
              >linked list. I would like to do this without using that many extra
              >memory locations.
              >
              Why don't you use in-place merge-sort or quick-sort?
              In-place merge-sort should be easy to implement.
              >
              >Hmmm... should the while statement be
              >(conductor->x < conductor->next->x) && (0 != conductor->next)
              >
              Actually it would be better to test for conductor->next != 0 _first_,
              before trying to dereference conductor->next:
              >
              (0 != conductor->next) && (conductor->x < conductor->next->x)
              >
              Also, you would have to return after the loop in case 0 ==
              conductor->next, because then your list is completely sorted.
              >
              > node *temp, *temp2;
              > temp = new node;
              > temp2 = new node;
              > temp = root;
              > temp2 = root;
              > while(conductor->next->x temp->x)
              > {
              > temp2 = temp;
              > temp = temp->next;
              > }
              >
              Some more remarks:
              >
              1. You have a memory leak here. You allocate two nodes and immediately
              discard all pointer pointing to them.
              >
              2. Looks like you're trying to find the two nodes temp2 and temp between
              which conductor should be inserted. You should use the
              invariant "temp2->next == temp", so you had better initialize temp with
              root->next (more intelligible). At the same time, you might think about
              renaming these variables ("temp" is rarely a good name).
              >
              >Should I add the same thing here?
              >
              In fact you needn't, as you know that eventually temp->x >=
              conductor->next->x (hint: temp == conductor)
              >
              You should also consider using a wrapper class (mylist?) around your nodes
              so that you cannot pass around internal nodes but only complete lists.
              Secondly, I don't see the point in passing conductor as an argument
              instead of declaring it as a local variable...
              >
              Markus
              PROVA

              Comment

              Working...