Simple C Statistics

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ross A. Finlayson

    #1

    Simple C Statistics

    Hi,

    I wonder if there is a simple library or set of functions for basic
    statistical functions, like what may be on a pocket calculator, without
    getting into linking into the language runtimes of the S or R
    languages.

    For example I just want mean, median, mode, variance, and stuff, and
    then the stuff that follows from that. Maybe, something midrange
    between (x+y) / 2 and SAS/Spss/... statlib? libstat? stat lib stat,
    stat, lib?

    Actually I just want to look at it, not probably actually use it, but I
    might implement some of its notions after seeing it, especially if
    they're imperative instead of functional.

    Actually this is just a troll and off-topic for comp.lang.c. While
    that is so, I guess I could ask on sci.stat.math, sincerely.

    I'll tell you why, I'm trying to analyze digital data with noise in it,
    but I just want to flip to correctness about 1/100 of the bad bits, not
    analyze its entropy, because there's not a carrier signal, and I'm
    ignorant about signal processing. It's not even that hard a problem,
    it's mostly elastic knapsack, and the weather.

    Anyways I'm interested in seeing some examples of C implementations of
    statistical methods. I hope you might be able to refer me to some.
    Ah... now I have typed "statistics " into a search engine for
    comp.lang.c.

    Thank you,

    Ross F.

    --
    "I see that Ross has succeeded in altering
    the language of sci.math.
    It's enough to make one weep." - R. Poe

  • beliavsky@aol.com

    #2
    Re: Simple C Statistics

    Ross A. Finlayson wrote:[color=blue]
    > Hi,
    >
    > I wonder if there is a simple library or set of functions for basic
    > statistical functions, like what may be on a pocket calculator,[/color]
    without[color=blue]
    > getting into linking into the language runtimes of the S or R
    > languages.[/color]

    The GNU Scientific Library has C code for statistics, see
    http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/gsl-ref_toc.html , as does the
    commercial Numerical Recipes in C, see http://www.nr.com . Gretl at
    http://gretl.sourceforge.net/ is an open source statistical package
    written in C . Statcodes at http://www.astro.psu.edu/statcodes/ has
    links to public domain Fortran and C code for statistics.

    Comment

    • Ross A. Finlayson

      #3
      Re: Simple C Statistics

      beliavsky@aol.c om wrote:[color=blue]
      > Ross A. Finlayson wrote:[color=green]
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I wonder if there is a simple library or set of functions for basic
      > > statistical functions, like what may be on a pocket calculator,[/color]
      > without[color=green]
      > > getting into linking into the language runtimes of the S or R
      > > languages.[/color]
      >
      > The GNU Scientific Library has C code for statistics, see
      > http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/gsl-ref_toc.html , as does the
      > commercial Numerical Recipes in C, see http://www.nr.com . Gretl at
      > http://gretl.sourceforge.net/ is an open source statistical package
      > written in C . Statcodes at http://www.astro.psu.edu/statcodes/ has
      > links to public domain Fortran and C code for statistics.[/color]

      Hi Beliavsky,

      Thank you. That is mind-boggling.

      Basically I figure there is a sample, the sample space, the population,
      which might be the same thing as the sample space, the probability of a
      sample being selected at "random" for various distributions of metrics
      of the samples of the population, which might be unknown or
      parameterized as opposed to knowing every element of the sample space
      in advance in which case it is fixed, the probability, P, of the binary
      predicate, into fuzzy and multivalent metrical predicates, these are
      words I string together without qualification.

      That's a problem in "statistics ", those web pages appear immaculately
      respectable, but the abuse in statistics is of the metrics and sample
      spaces from the actual population.

      typedef void* sample_t;

      I'm way back on regression, ANOVA, ANCOVA, MANOVA, MANCOVA,
      curve-fitting, best-guess estimates for algorithm selection on
      instrumented algorithm conditions and contraints, and other nonsense
      drooled onto the keyboard, I only had three or four years of college
      stat.

      That's about statistics, about mathematics and logic I'm an absolutist.

      I think the Bayesian methods are very useful for decision making based
      on essentially neural networks, as neural networks are modelled in some
      sense Bayesianly.

      The neural net (keywords forward, backward, and mixed mode propagation,
      transfer and decision function, Kohenen, Hopfield, Markov, binary and
      analog weights, graph, network and circuit theories, which are the same
      thing) is also a very useful tool, and, the implementations are not
      necessarily minimal but they are not necessarily massive.

      So, my next question is "what C libraries are available for portable
      neural net implementations ", and an answer may well be "go find it
      yourself."



      That is mildly disturbing.

      Warm regards,

      Ross F.

      Comment

      Working...