How do you pass a Vector to a function?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dennis@NoSpam.com

    #1

    How do you pass a Vector to a function?

    In my program I have defined a global vector with

    //=======prototyp es section =============== =====
    float select(const int k, std::vector<flo at> &myArr, int iStart, int iEnd);
    .....
    //====Global Vectors =============== =============== ====
    std::vector<flo at> gTmpArr(8000,0) ;

    In Main, I would like to pass this vector to a function such as:

    myAve=select(mi dnum,gTmpArr,iS tart,iEnd);
    .....
    ......
    This is the function statement:
    float select(int k, std:vector<floa t> &myArr, int iStart, int iEnd)

    However I get the following error:

    error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'std'
    error C2065: 'iEnd' : undeclared identifier
    error C2065: 'iStart' : undeclared identifier
    error C2065: 'myArr' : undeclared identifier

    What is the correct way to define the prototype and pass the vector?

    Thanks for any help.

    Dennis


  • John Harrison

    #2
    Re: How do you pass a Vector to a function?


    <Dennis@NoSpam. com> wrote in message
    news:no8ap0htuf 8227roc38m3sjoj rpfepqh2s@4ax.c om...[color=blue]
    > In my program I have defined a global vector with
    >
    > //=======prototyp es section =============== =====
    > float select(const int k, std::vector<flo at> &myArr, int iStart, int
    > iEnd);
    > ....
    > //====Global Vectors =============== =============== ====
    > std::vector<flo at> gTmpArr(8000,0) ;
    >
    > In Main, I would like to pass this vector to a function such as:
    >
    > myAve=select(mi dnum,gTmpArr,iS tart,iEnd);
    > ....
    > .....
    > This is the function statement:
    > float select(int k, std:vector<floa t> &myArr, int iStart, int iEnd)
    >
    > However I get the following error:
    >
    > error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'std'
    > error C2065: 'iEnd' : undeclared identifier
    > error C2065: 'iStart' : undeclared identifier
    > error C2065: 'myArr' : undeclared identifier
    >
    > What is the correct way to define the prototype and pass the vector?[/color]

    Exactly like you have shown. Probably your mistake is not including the
    header file <vector>, but as usual it is impossible to tell because you
    didn't post all of your code. Whatever your mistake is, it is in the code
    you didn't post, not the code you did.

    john


    Comment

    • Kurt Krueckeberg

      #3
      Re: How do you pass a Vector to a function?

      [color=blue]
      > This is the function statement:
      > float select(int k, std:vector<floa t> &myArr, int iStart, int iEnd)
      >
      > However I get the following error:
      >
      > error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'std'
      > error C2065: 'iEnd' : undeclared identifier
      > error C2065: 'iStart' : undeclared identifier
      > error C2065: 'myArr' : undeclared identifier
      >
      > What is the correct way to define the prototype and pass the vector?[/color]

      You forgot a colon.

      float select(int k, std:vector<floa t> &myArr, int iStart, int iEnd)
      should be
      float select(int k, std::vector<flo at> &myArr, int iStart, int iEnd)


      Comment

      • Dennis@NoSpam.com

        #4
        Re: How do you pass a Vector to a function?

        "Kurt Krueckeberg" <kurtk@pobox.co m> wrote:
        [color=blue]
        >[color=green]
        >> This is the function statement:
        >> float select(int k, std:vector<floa t> &myArr, int iStart, int iEnd)
        >>
        >> However I get the following error:
        >>
        >> error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'std'
        >> error C2065: 'iEnd' : undeclared identifier
        >> error C2065: 'iStart' : undeclared identifier
        >> error C2065: 'myArr' : undeclared identifier
        >>
        >> What is the correct way to define the prototype and pass the vector?[/color]
        >
        >You forgot a colon.
        >
        > float select(int k, std:vector<floa t> &myArr, int iStart, int iEnd)
        >should be
        > float select(int k, std::vector<flo at> &myArr, int iStart, int iEnd)
        >[/color]
        Thank you John and Kurt.

        I had two errors in my code. The simple one "::" that Kurt pointed out above
        and one that I didn't know about.

        My code consists of too many lines to post so I only posted the trouble part of
        the code.

        The Main function is in a separate module with an #Include <vector> before the
        function Main. My function "Select" is in another module. Both source file
        modules are compiled by VC++6 . What I didn't know was that I had to also put a
        #Include <vector> in the Select Function module before the function name. Thus
        I needed a #Include <vector> in both modules in order for this code to compile.

        Why is that? I thought defining #Include <vector> at the top of your code
        before the start of your functions was enough and would be available to all
        functions below? The Main module is above the Select function module in the
        source file definitions.

        Dennis

        Comment

        • Jon Bell

          #5
          Re: How do you pass a Vector to a function?

          In article <8geap0l48i7gpr 3qlomddd09hhg4u jvp6l@4ax.com>,
          <Dennis@NoSpam. com> wrote:
          [...][color=blue]
          >I needed a #Include <vector> in both modules in order for this code to compile.
          >
          >Why is that? I thought defining #Include <vector> at the top of your code
          >before the start of your functions was enough and would be available to all
          >functions below?[/color]

          Not if the source code is in separate files. As far as the compiler (as
          opposed to the linker) is concerned, each file is completely independent.
          All identifiers used in any particular file must be declared in that file,
          either directly via declarations in that file, or indirectly via
          declarations in headers that are #include'd in that file.

          VC++ may display the contents of the source code files one after the
          other as if they formed a single unit (I don't use VC++ myself so I'm just
          guessing), but that would be just a display device of the GUI.

          --
          Jon Bell <jtbellm4h@pres by.edu> Presbyterian College
          Dept. of Physics and Computer Science Clinton, South Carolina USA

          Comment

          • John Harrison

            #6
            Re: How do you pass a Vector to a function?

            >[color=blue]
            > The Main function is in a separate module with an #Include <vector>
            > before the
            > function Main. My function "Select" is in another module. Both source
            > file
            > modules are compiled by VC++6 . What I didn't know was that I had to also
            > put a
            > #Include <vector> in the Select Function module before the function name.
            > Thus
            > I needed a #Include <vector> in both modules in order for this code to
            > compile.
            >[/color]

            Right.
            [color=blue]
            > Why is that?[/color]

            Because the two modules are compiled seperately.
            [color=blue]
            > I thought defining #Include <vector> at the top of your code
            > before the start of your functions was enough and would be available to
            > all
            > functions below?[/color]

            Modules are compiled seperately, what one module contains is completely
            unknown to any other module.
            [color=blue]
            > The Main module is above the Select function module in the
            > source file definitions.[/color]

            I don't understand what you mean by that. If you are refering to the order
            in which your source files are listed in VC++6 that is completely
            irrelevant. Modules are still compiled seperately.

            Here's how you should organise your code. When you have something in common
            between two modules you should us a header file and include that header file
            in both modules. In this case its the select function. So...

            // select.h
            #ifndef SELECT_H
            #define SELECT_H

            #include <vector>

            float select(const int k, std::vector<flo at> &myArr, int iStart, int iEnd);

            #endif
            // end of select.h


            // select.cpp
            #include "select.h"

            float select(const int k, std::vector<flo at> &myArr, int iStart, int iEnd)
            {
            ...
            }
            // end of select.cpp


            // main.cpp
            #include "select.h"

            int main()
            {
            ...
            select(a, b, c, d);
            ...
            }
            // end of main.cpp

            Note especially how the select.h file includes the <vector> header. And also
            that both main.cpp and select.cpp include select.h

            Organising your source code properly seems to be one of those things that
            books on C++ don't teach, but the separate compilation model means it is
            vital to have a good understanding of this. It's easy once you've been shown
            how, however.

            john


            Comment

            • Dennis@NoSpam.com

              #7
              Re: How do you pass a Vector to a function?

              "John Harrison" <john_andronicu s@hotmail.com> wrote:

              <snip>[color=blue]
              >
              >Here's how you should organise your code. When you have something in common
              >between two modules you should us a header file and include that header file
              >in both modules. In this case its the select function. So...
              >
              >// select.h
              >#ifndef SELECT_H
              >#define SELECT_H
              >
              >#include <vector>
              >
              >float select(const int k, std::vector<flo at> &myArr, int iStart, int iEnd);
              >
              >#endif
              >// end of select.h
              >
              >
              >// select.cpp
              >#include "select.h"
              >
              >float select(const int k, std::vector<flo at> &myArr, int iStart, int iEnd)
              >{
              > ...
              >}
              >// end of select.cpp
              >
              >
              >// main.cpp
              >#include "select.h"
              >
              >int main()
              >{
              > ...
              > select(a, b, c, d);
              > ...
              >}
              >// end of main.cpp
              >
              >Note especially how the select.h file includes the <vector> header. And also
              >that both main.cpp and select.cpp include select.h
              >
              >Organising your source code properly seems to be one of those things that
              >books on C++ don't teach, but the separate compilation model means it is
              >vital to have a good understanding of this. It's easy once you've been shown
              >how, however.
              >
              >john
              >[/color]
              Thank you John for the detailed explanation. It's one of those lessons that you
              never see in books. I appreciate the time you spent in explaining it to me.
              Thanks again.

              Thanks also to Jon Bell in the reply above.

              Dennis



              Comment

              Working...