.NET/Oracle/C#

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pat Ireland

    #1

    .NET/Oracle/C#

    I am trying to do access a remote Oracle database
    I have Oracle 10g Client software installed on my PC (10.1.0)
    I have installed the .NET Oracle support from Microsoft.
    I have added a reference in my C# project to the System.Data.Ora cleClient dll.

    I get the following error on the open for the connection:

    System.Data.Ora cleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or
    greater

    I am using the following minimal code snippet:

    using System;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Data.Ora cleClient;
    ..
    ..
    ..
    string strConnect = @"Data Source=\\devdbs \DMDC2CCD;USER
    ID=Y272913;PASS WORD=changepass ";
    OracleConnectio n connOracle = new OracleConnectio n(strConnect);
    connOracle.Open ();

    Any clues where to look next?

  • Glenn

    #2
    Re: .NET/Oracle/C#

    Pat

    Haven't got a clue why that wouldn't work, but why not use ODP.NET instead
    of the Microsoft Oracle Driver.

    Glenn

    http://www.oracle.com/technology/tec...net/index.html

    "Pat Ireland" <ireland@airmai l.net> wrote in message
    news:1A6AF91A-66D0-4208-AB77-66E2903E2EC3@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
    > I am trying to do access a remote Oracle database
    > I have Oracle 10g Client software installed on my PC (10.1.0)
    > I have installed the .NET Oracle support from Microsoft.
    > I have added a reference in my C# project to the System.Data.Ora cleClient[/color]
    dll.[color=blue]
    >
    > I get the following error on the open for the connection:
    >
    > System.Data.Ora cleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or
    > greater
    >
    > I am using the following minimal code snippet:
    >
    > using System;
    > using System.Data;
    > using System.Data.Ora cleClient;
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > string strConnect = @"Data Source=\\devdbs \DMDC2CCD;USER
    > ID=Y272913;PASS WORD=changepass ";
    > OracleConnectio n connOracle = new OracleConnectio n(strConnect);
    > connOracle.Open ();
    >
    > Any clues where to look next?
    >[/color]


    Comment

    • Carlos J. Quintero [.NET MVP]

      #3
      Re: .NET/Oracle/C#

      Does SQL*Plus work?

      Does the PATH variable include c:\Oracle\OraXX \Bin ? SQL*Plus does not
      require it, but everybody else does.

      --

      Best regards,

      Carlos J. Quintero

      MZ-Tools: Productivity add-ins for Visual Studio .NET, VB6, VB5 and VBA
      You can code, design and document much faster.
      Free resources for add-in developers:
      MZ-Tools has a single goal: To make your everyday programming life easier. As an add-in to several Integrated Development Environment (IDEs) from Microsoft, MZ-Tools adds new menus and toolbars to them that provide many new productivity features.


      "Pat Ireland" <ireland@airmai l.net> escribió en el mensaje
      news:1A6AF91A-66D0-4208-AB77-66E2903E2EC3@mi crosoft.com...[color=blue]
      >I am trying to do access a remote Oracle database
      > I have Oracle 10g Client software installed on my PC (10.1.0)
      > I have installed the .NET Oracle support from Microsoft.
      > I have added a reference in my C# project to the System.Data.Ora cleClient
      > dll.
      >
      > I get the following error on the open for the connection:
      >
      > System.Data.Ora cleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or
      > greater
      >
      > I am using the following minimal code snippet:
      >
      > using System;
      > using System.Data;
      > using System.Data.Ora cleClient;
      > .
      > .
      > .
      > string strConnect = @"Data Source=\\devdbs \DMDC2CCD;USER
      > ID=Y272913;PASS WORD=changepass ";
      > OracleConnectio n connOracle = new OracleConnectio n(strConnect);
      > connOracle.Open ();
      >
      > Any clues where to look next?
      >[/color]


      Comment

      • Pat Ireland

        #4
        Re: .NET/Oracle/C#

        Carlos,

        Thanks - now it is hitting the network looking for the server.

        Pat

        "Carlos J. Quintero [.NET MVP]" wrote:
        [color=blue]
        > Does SQL*Plus work?
        >
        > Does the PATH variable include c:\Oracle\OraXX \Bin ? SQL*Plus does not
        > require it, but everybody else does.
        >
        > --
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Carlos J. Quintero
        >
        > MZ-Tools: Productivity add-ins for Visual Studio .NET, VB6, VB5 and VBA
        > You can code, design and document much faster.
        > Free resources for add-in developers:
        > http://www.mztools.com
        >
        > "Pat Ireland" <ireland@airmai l.net> escribió en el mensaje
        > news:1A6AF91A-66D0-4208-AB77-66E2903E2EC3@mi crosoft.com...[color=green]
        > >I am trying to do access a remote Oracle database
        > > I have Oracle 10g Client software installed on my PC (10.1.0)
        > > I have installed the .NET Oracle support from Microsoft.
        > > I have added a reference in my C# project to the System.Data.Ora cleClient
        > > dll.
        > >
        > > I get the following error on the open for the connection:
        > >
        > > System.Data.Ora cleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or
        > > greater
        > >
        > > I am using the following minimal code snippet:
        > >
        > > using System;
        > > using System.Data;
        > > using System.Data.Ora cleClient;
        > > .
        > > .
        > > .
        > > string strConnect = @"Data Source=\\devdbs \DMDC2CCD;USER
        > > ID=Y272913;PASS WORD=changepass ";
        > > OracleConnectio n connOracle = new OracleConnectio n(strConnect);
        > > connOracle.Open ();
        > >
        > > Any clues where to look next?
        > >[/color]
        >
        >
        >[/color]

        Comment

        • Pat Ireland

          #5
          Re: .NET/Oracle/C#

          Glenn,

          I tried download the ODP.NET and was reviewing the documentation when Carlos
          responded. His technique worked but thanks for your reply.

          Pat

          "Glenn" wrote:
          [color=blue]
          > Pat
          >
          > Haven't got a clue why that wouldn't work, but why not use ODP.NET instead
          > of the Microsoft Oracle Driver.
          >
          > Glenn
          >
          > http://www.oracle.com/technology/tec...net/index.html
          >
          > "Pat Ireland" <ireland@airmai l.net> wrote in message
          > news:1A6AF91A-66D0-4208-AB77-66E2903E2EC3@mi crosoft.com...[color=green]
          > > I am trying to do access a remote Oracle database
          > > I have Oracle 10g Client software installed on my PC (10.1.0)
          > > I have installed the .NET Oracle support from Microsoft.
          > > I have added a reference in my C# project to the System.Data.Ora cleClient[/color]
          > dll.[color=green]
          > >
          > > I get the following error on the open for the connection:
          > >
          > > System.Data.Ora cleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or
          > > greater
          > >
          > > I am using the following minimal code snippet:
          > >
          > > using System;
          > > using System.Data;
          > > using System.Data.Ora cleClient;
          > > .
          > > .
          > > .
          > > string strConnect = @"Data Source=\\devdbs \DMDC2CCD;USER
          > > ID=Y272913;PASS WORD=changepass ";
          > > OracleConnectio n connOracle = new OracleConnectio n(strConnect);
          > > connOracle.Open ();
          > >
          > > Any clues where to look next?
          > >[/color]
          >
          >
          >[/color]

          Comment

          • Slap

            #6
            Re: .NET/Oracle/C#

            I am having texactly the same problem.
            SQLPLUS does work. Which PATH variable are you refering to?
            Any help greatly appreciated.

            "Carlos J. Quintero [.NET MVP]" wrote:
            [color=blue]
            > Does SQL*Plus work?
            >
            > Does the PATH variable include c:\Oracle\OraXX \Bin ? SQL*Plus does not
            > require it, but everybody else does.
            >
            > --
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Carlos J. Quintero
            >
            > MZ-Tools: Productivity add-ins for Visual Studio .NET, VB6, VB5 and VBA
            > You can code, design and document much faster.
            > Free resources for add-in developers:
            > http://www.mztools.com
            >
            > "Pat Ireland" <ireland@airmai l.net> escribió en el mensaje
            > news:1A6AF91A-66D0-4208-AB77-66E2903E2EC3@mi crosoft.com...[color=green]
            > >I am trying to do access a remote Oracle database
            > > I have Oracle 10g Client software installed on my PC (10.1.0)
            > > I have installed the .NET Oracle support from Microsoft.
            > > I have added a reference in my C# project to the System.Data.Ora cleClient
            > > dll.
            > >
            > > I get the following error on the open for the connection:
            > >
            > > System.Data.Ora cleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or
            > > greater
            > >
            > > I am using the following minimal code snippet:
            > >
            > > using System;
            > > using System.Data;
            > > using System.Data.Ora cleClient;
            > > .
            > > .
            > > .
            > > string strConnect = @"Data Source=\\devdbs \DMDC2CCD;USER
            > > ID=Y272913;PASS WORD=changepass ";
            > > OracleConnectio n connOracle = new OracleConnectio n(strConnect);
            > > connOracle.Open ();
            > >
            > > Any clues where to look next?
            > >[/color]
            >
            >
            >[/color]

            Comment

            Working...