Programmable limits on upload size

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBLcmFsZXk=?=

    #1

    Programmable limits on upload size

    In my ASP.NET application, I'd like to set limits on the maximum size of an
    uploaded file. Normally I'd just

    set the maxRequestLengt h of the httpRuntime element in web.config. But in
    this case, I have a few different

    aspx pages and I want the limit set differently for each. Yes, I could put
    each in its own folder, each with

    its own web.config, but that is rather awkward for this application.

    Alternatively, I could leave the limit set in web.config to the largest
    limit, and then in the other pages,

    do my own checking, throwing an error if the ContentLength was too large.

    But if the goal here is preventing a DOS attack on my server by someone who
    is uploading lots of giant files,

    maybe this is too late. That is, by the time my code gets to run, maybe the
    content is already all uploaded

    and has consumed the server resources. I'd rather be able to stop things
    earlier in the process.

    Looking at some Reflector code, it appears that the method
    Request.GetEnti reRawContent is actually doing the

    reading of the input stream, and this is called very early in page handling,
    by the first reference to the

    Form contents. But I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly. If I look at
    Request.InputSt ream at PageLoad

    time, it says that it is still at position 0. Does that mean that the
    content really hasn't been streamed in

    yet?

    Also I wonder what I can trust. The simple thing is just to check
    Request.Content Length, but I assume that a

    bad guy can just fake that to be a small number. Is the InputStream length a
    real number that can be trusted?

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    --
    ....Mike
  • nick chan

    #2
    Re: Programmable limits on upload size

    i can't help u with streams, but please use capctha to avoid robot
    uploading

    On 29 Apr, 09:27, Mike Kraley <mkra...@commun ity.nospamwrote :
    In my ASP.NET application, I'd like to set limits on the maximum size of an
    uploaded file. Normally I'd just
    >
    set the maxRequestLengt h of the httpRuntime element in web.config. But in
    this case, I have a few different
    >
    aspx pages and I want the limit set differently for each. Yes, I could put
    each in its own folder, each with
    >
    its own web.config, but that is rather awkward for this application.
    >
    Alternatively, I could leave the limit set in web.config to the largest
    limit, and then in the other pages,
    >
    do my own checking, throwing an error if the ContentLength was too large.
    >
    But if the goal here is preventing a DOS attack on my server by someone who
    is uploading lots of giant files,
    >
    maybe this is too late. That is, by the time my code gets to run, maybe the
    content is already all uploaded
    >
    and has consumed the server resources. I'd rather be able to stop things
    earlier in the process.
    >
    Looking at some Reflector code, it appears that the method
    Request.GetEnti reRawContent is actually doing the
    >
    reading of the input stream, and this is called very early in page handling,
    by the first reference to the
    >
    Form contents. But I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly. If I look at
    Request.InputSt ream at PageLoad
    >
    time, it says that it is still at position 0. Does that mean that the
    content really hasn't been streamed in
    >
    yet?
    >
    Also I wonder what I can trust. The simple thing is just to check
    Request.Content Length, but I assume that a
    >
    bad guy can just fake that to be a small number. Is the InputStream length a
    real number that can be trusted?
    >
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    --
    ...Mike

    Comment

    • Steven Cheng [MSFT]

      #3
      RE: Programmable limits on upload size

      Hi Mike,

      As for ASP.NET file uploading, so far when we get the chance to inspect the
      Request's properties(such as content length or othe headers), the post
      data(form entries or binary content if use mult-part form) should have been
      transmit to server-side. And the ASP.NET maxRequestLengt h and it's too late
      to prevent uploading large size data. The ASP.NET maxRequestLengt h should
      be checking the upload stream size a bit ealier, but still can only detect
      the problem after the certain size of data(of the maxRequestLengt h) has
      been uploaded to server. So far I'm afraid there hasn't any good approach
      for web page based upload program since we haven't much control at the
      client-side(such as checking the file size before posting/uploading). If
      some rich client based component is allowed for your scenario, you may
      consider using some ActiveX or IE hosted .NET control to perform file
      upload since that can check file size in advance.

      BTW, for setting <httpRuntime ....for different pages, you can also use
      the <locationelemen t in web.config instead of putting different pages
      into different sub folders:

      #location Element (ASP.NET Settings Schema)
      http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b6x6shw7.aspx

      Sincerely,

      Steven Cheng

      Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead


      Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments and
      suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you. Please
      feel free to let my manager know what you think of the level of service
      provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager at:
      msdnmg@microsof t.com.

      =============== =============== =============== =====
      Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...ult.aspx#notif
      ications.

      =============== =============== =============== =====
      This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


      --------------------
      >From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBLcmF sZXk=?= <mkraley@commun ity.nospam>
      >Subject: Programmable limits on upload size
      >Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:27:20 -0700
      >
      >In my ASP.NET application, I'd like to set limits on the maximum size of
      an
      >uploaded file. Normally I'd just
      >
      >set the maxRequestLengt h of the httpRuntime element in web.config. But in
      >this case, I have a few different
      >
      >aspx pages and I want the limit set differently for each. Yes, I could put
      >each in its own folder, each with
      >
      >its own web.config, but that is rather awkward for this application.
      >
      >Alternativel y, I could leave the limit set in web.config to the largest
      >limit, and then in the other pages,
      >
      >do my own checking, throwing an error if the ContentLength was too large.
      >
      >But if the goal here is preventing a DOS attack on my server by someone
      who
      >is uploading lots of giant files,
      >
      >maybe this is too late. That is, by the time my code gets to run, maybe
      the
      >content is already all uploaded
      >
      >and has consumed the server resources. I'd rather be able to stop things
      >earlier in the process.
      >
      >Looking at some Reflector code, it appears that the method
      >Request.GetEnt ireRawContent is actually doing the
      >
      >reading of the input stream, and this is called very early in page
      handling,
      >by the first reference to the
      >
      >Form contents. But I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly. If I look at
      >Request.InputS tream at PageLoad
      >
      >time, it says that it is still at position 0. Does that mean that the
      >content really hasn't been streamed in
      >
      >yet?
      >
      >Also I wonder what I can trust. The simple thing is just to check
      >Request.Conten tLength, but I assume that a
      >
      >bad guy can just fake that to be a small number. Is the InputStream length
      a
      >real number that can be trusted?
      >
      >Any suggestions would be appreciated.
      >
      >--
      >...Mike
      >

      Comment

      Working...