VS 2005 vs. Expression Web...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Edward B.

    #1

    VS 2005 vs. Expression Web...

    So I started using Expression Web recently, and found its interface very
    much like VS 2005. Moved around within it just fine, etc. But then I started
    getting into some heavy ASP.NET programming, and found that VS 2005 was able
    to handle things like Events much easier.

    However, switching back to VS 2005 I found the code that Expression Web
    generated contains a lot of ASP.NET, XHTML, etc. errors throughout it! I
    thought the two apps would be fairly compatible in terms of the code that
    they generate, but no!

    So should I just ignore Expression Web and stick with VS 2005? I do a lot of
    ASP.NET, using VB and C#, and database work.

    Just seeing what others suggest, or if you have had a similar experience...

    -Ed


  • =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=

    #2
    RE: VS 2005 vs. Expression Web...

    Edward,
    Expression Web is really for design work, It is not designed to compile .NET
    code.
    Think of it like a Microsoft version of Dreamweaver.
    Peter

    --
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog: http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com
    Short urls & more: http://ittyurl.net




    "Edward B." wrote:
    So I started using Expression Web recently, and found its interface very
    much like VS 2005. Moved around within it just fine, etc. But then I started
    getting into some heavy ASP.NET programming, and found that VS 2005 was able
    to handle things like Events much easier.
    >
    However, switching back to VS 2005 I found the code that Expression Web
    generated contains a lot of ASP.NET, XHTML, etc. errors throughout it! I
    thought the two apps would be fairly compatible in terms of the code that
    they generate, but no!
    >
    So should I just ignore Expression Web and stick with VS 2005? I do a lot of
    ASP.NET, using VB and C#, and database work.
    >
    Just seeing what others suggest, or if you have had a similar experience...
    >
    -Ed
    >
    >
    >

    Comment

    • Alexey Smirnov

      #3
      Re: VS 2005 vs. Expression Web...

      On Apr 2, 8:53 pm, "Edward B." <ebaich...@hotm ail.comwrote:
      So I started using Expression Web recently, and found its interface very
      much like VS 2005. Moved around within it just fine, etc. But then I started
      getting into some heavy ASP.NET programming, and found that VS 2005 was able
      to handle things like Events much easier.
      >
      However, switching back to VS 2005 I found the code that Expression Web
      generated contains a lot of ASP.NET, XHTML, etc. errors throughout it! I
      thought the two apps would be fairly compatible in terms of the code that
      they generate, but no!
      >
      So should I just ignore Expression Web and stick with VS 2005? I do a lot of
      ASP.NET, using VB and C#, and database work.
      >
      Just seeing what others suggest, or if you have had a similar experience...
      >
      -Ed
      http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipo...developer.aspx

      Comment

      • Mark Fitzpatrick

        #4
        Re: VS 2005 vs. Expression Web...

        It's not really a comparison. MS created them to work together. The
        Expression suite of products is designed at creating compelling interfaces.
        Interfaces that can be used with Visual Studio to create the backend work.
        Of course, Expression Web can also do some light lifting, but it's not in
        the same league as far as coding goes. I use it in conjunction with VS as EW
        is easier to create the interface in then I code the backend and do more
        advanced things with VS.


        --
        Hope this helps,
        Mark Fitzpatrick
        Former Microsoft FrontPage MVP 199?-2006

        "Edward B." <ebaichtal@hotm ail.comwrote in message
        news:%23ZjqAhVd HHA.4632@TK2MSF TNGP03.phx.gbl. ..
        So I started using Expression Web recently, and found its interface very
        much like VS 2005. Moved around within it just fine, etc. But then I
        started getting into some heavy ASP.NET programming, and found that VS
        2005 was able to handle things like Events much easier.
        >
        However, switching back to VS 2005 I found the code that Expression Web
        generated contains a lot of ASP.NET, XHTML, etc. errors throughout it! I
        thought the two apps would be fairly compatible in terms of the code that
        they generate, but no!
        >
        So should I just ignore Expression Web and stick with VS 2005? I do a lot
        of ASP.NET, using VB and C#, and database work.
        >
        Just seeing what others suggest, or if you have had a similar
        experience...
        >
        -Ed
        >

        Comment

        • bruce barker

          #5
          Re: VS 2005 vs. Expression Web...

          Expression is compatable with the next release of Visual Studio.

          -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

          Edward B. wrote:
          So I started using Expression Web recently, and found its interface very
          much like VS 2005. Moved around within it just fine, etc. But then I started
          getting into some heavy ASP.NET programming, and found that VS 2005 was able
          to handle things like Events much easier.
          >
          However, switching back to VS 2005 I found the code that Expression Web
          generated contains a lot of ASP.NET, XHTML, etc. errors throughout it! I
          thought the two apps would be fairly compatible in terms of the code that
          they generate, but no!
          >
          So should I just ignore Expression Web and stick with VS 2005? I do a lot of
          ASP.NET, using VB and C#, and database work.
          >
          Just seeing what others suggest, or if you have had a similar experience...
          >
          -Ed
          >
          >

          Comment

          • Edward B.

            #6
            Re: VS 2005 vs. Expression Web...

            Thanks to all those who replied. I get it now.

            And this last comment explains why I am running in to what I am running in
            to re: the interface parts of the code, etc.

            Alright, now I can keep the two separate in my head.

            -Ed


            "bruce barker" <nospam@nospam. comwrote in message
            news:%23tT1rjWd HHA.4188@TK2MSF TNGP02.phx.gbl. ..
            Expression is compatable with the next release of Visual Studio.
            >
            -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
            >
            Edward B. wrote:
            >So I started using Expression Web recently, and found its interface very
            >much like VS 2005. Moved around within it just fine, etc. But then I
            >started getting into some heavy ASP.NET programming, and found that VS
            >2005 was able to handle things like Events much easier.
            >>
            >However, switching back to VS 2005 I found the code that Expression Web
            >generated contains a lot of ASP.NET, XHTML, etc. errors throughout it! I
            >thought the two apps would be fairly compatible in terms of the code that
            >they generate, but no!
            >>
            >So should I just ignore Expression Web and stick with VS 2005? I do a lot
            >of ASP.NET, using VB and C#, and database work.
            >>
            >Just seeing what others suggest, or if you have had a similar
            >experience.. .
            >>
            >-Ed

            Comment

            • Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider]

              #7
              Re: VS 2005 vs. Expression Web...

              Visual Studio is more of a professional development tool.
              Expression Web is more of a design tool; it is the replacement for
              FrontPage.
              The best parts of Expression Web are integrated into the next version of
              Visual Studio (codenamed Orcas).

              --
              I hope this helps,
              Steve C. Orr,
              MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASPInsider
              Find information, resources and relevant links for steveorr.net. This domain may be for sale.




              "Edward B." <ebaichtal@hotm ail.comwrote in message
              news:%23ZjqAhVd HHA.4632@TK2MSF TNGP03.phx.gbl. ..
              So I started using Expression Web recently, and found its interface very
              much like VS 2005. Moved around within it just fine, etc. But then I
              started getting into some heavy ASP.NET programming, and found that VS
              2005 was able to handle things like Events much easier.
              >
              However, switching back to VS 2005 I found the code that Expression Web
              generated contains a lot of ASP.NET, XHTML, etc. errors throughout it! I
              thought the two apps would be fairly compatible in terms of the code that
              they generate, but no!
              >
              So should I just ignore Expression Web and stick with VS 2005? I do a lot
              of ASP.NET, using VB and C#, and database work.
              >
              Just seeing what others suggest, or if you have had a similar
              experience...
              >
              -Ed
              >

              Comment

              Working...