Odd ExecuteReader Error

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • JD Drewes

    #1

    Odd ExecuteReader Error

    Finally run out of ideas on this one....

    Just to get it outta the way, the environment:
    2 NLB Web servers (each Win2003, IIS6, 2G memory, 2 physical/4 logical
    CPU, 2 NICs, Unicast)
    1 DB Server (Win2K, SQL2K, 2G memory, 2 physical/logical.. no
    hyperthreading)

    I'm periodically getting a "Timeout Expired..." error on
    SqlCommand.Exec uteReader for VERY simply INSERTs and UPDATEs (no
    stored procedures) ex. INSERT INTO MyTable (fields) VALUES(values),
    UPDATE MyTable SET... WHERE MyTableKey=@MyK eyValue

    It happens on a variety of tables, none of which have triggers. The
    SQLCommand timeout value is set to 60. SQL Server is showing no
    blocks, long lock wait times, or anything else that would indicate a
    problem on the DB server. No backups or replication snapshots at
    these time either. In fact, the DB server is humming along nicely.

    Also, using non-pooled connections or pooled connections does not seem
    to make a difference.

    There are some strange things:

    First, only seeing it at the top of the hour, but there is nothing
    specifically running at the top of the hour I can find. (no jobs,
    recycling of app pool, other services running) Doesn't seem to be
    related to load (sometimes happens at peak, other times off peak (ex.
    8pm)

    Second, only happens on sites that are NLB... there is an asp.net
    site on one of the servers (same DB, similar C# code) which does NOT
    use NLB and does not see the errors.

    The only thing I can see that COULD be a problem is that the DB
    Server's Subnet is the same as Web Servers Virtual and Dedicated IPs
    on NIC #1 (versus our other subnet on Web Servers' NIC #2) I'd love
    to blame this, but doesn't explain the consistent time of day when I
    see this.

    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    -- JD
Working...