Strange report problems: Problem and solution

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pemigh

    #1

    Strange report problems: Problem and solution

    In hopes of preventing aggravation for others, here's documentation of
    a strange problem and its solution.

    I have an application on a network. One user was having trouble with
    reports. IT guy and I worked together to investigate, because I know
    Access reallyreally well, but I'm a Windows/network dummy.

    Investigation showed:

    -- We could view reports in design view, but attempts to preview
    reports failed silently.

    -- At one point while I was mucking around with VBA code I saw the
    message "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in
    an unusual way". Looked that up, but didn't find anything helpful,
    but we thought a reinstallation of Access might help. It didn't.
    (True confessions: We did not get the chance to install service packs
    before finding a resolution to the problem, so don't know how that
    would have affected things.)

    -- Attempting to manually create a new report failed silently.

    -- Attempting to create a report using the wizard resulted in "The
    Wizard is unable to create your report."

    Aha -- something to look up! The error message was referenced in
    Microsoft Knowledge Base article 208553, which referred to the problem
    of no default printer.

    Turns out we did have a default printer selected, but it was a network
    printer that went through a print server outside of the building. This
    occurred because the server itself was recently there and then it was
    relocated to improve performance. So basically, it was a shared
    printer, which worked absolutely fine, but was getting print requests
    from another section of the company. So what we did (and by "we" I
    mean "he") was delete that printer reference and make one that printed
    directly to the IP address of the printer. Once we did that, it worked
    like a charm.

    Gotta love working with the IT guys who are willing to think through
    things with you. Thanks, Eric!

  • Rich P

    #2
    Re: Strange report problems: Problem and solution

    I had a similar problem recently, and the fix was similar to yours -
    reinstalling the default printer. Except my problem was worse. The
    Print Spooler (on the workstation) got corrupted somehow. For a while -
    I had to go into my workstation servcies (Start/Run/services.msc) and
    scroll to Print Spooler - right-click on properties/start. This worked
    for a while, but eventually, something wore out. The big fix was
    getting a whole new workstation. Anyway, the point of my story is this:
    if reloading the default printer doesn't get it - go to
    Start/Run/services.msc, scroll to the Print Spooler/Properties/Start and
    restart the Print Spooler.

    Rich

    *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com ***

    Comment

    Working...