Excel User Info

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ty

    #1

    Excel User Info

    I was given a Excel spreadsheet with Employee names. I have a large
    database with a Personal Table with Employee names and a whole list of
    other tables that I'm used to running queries. I'm still new to
    queries.

    I can run queries using the Pers_Table with employees and other
    tables. How can I import the Excel sheet and use it as the Pers table
    with only the names of the 10 employees listed in the Mainframe export
    of Employees.

    My files:
    Mainframe.xls for 10 mainframe users.

    My tables:
    Auth_id for user id's
    CostCtr for Cost center codes

    How do I run the query to only include the 10 user names in the
    Mainframe.xls?
  • Tom van Stiphout

    #2
    Re: Excel User Info

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:10:29 -0700 (PDT), Ty <tyrone_bak@yah oo.com>
    wrote:

    Import or (perhaps better) link the Excel file.
    Make a copy of your favorite query that you want to restrict. Open
    that query in design view and add the Excel table to it. Drag a common
    field (perhaps EmployeeID) from the Excel table to the Pers_Table.
    This operation is called "creating an inner join".
    Run the query. It will now restrict.

    -Tom.

    >I was given a Excel spreadsheet with Employee names. I have a large
    >database with a Personal Table with Employee names and a whole list of
    >other tables that I'm used to running queries. I'm still new to
    >queries.
    >
    >I can run queries using the Pers_Table with employees and other
    >tables. How can I import the Excel sheet and use it as the Pers table
    >with only the names of the 10 employees listed in the Mainframe export
    >of Employees.
    >
    >My files:
    >Mainframe.xl s for 10 mainframe users.
    >
    >My tables:
    >Auth_id for user id's
    >CostCtr for Cost center codes
    >
    >How do I run the query to only include the 10 user names in the
    >Mainframe.xl s?

    Comment

    • Ty

      #3
      Re: Excel User Info

      On Jul 16, 10:58 pm, Tom van Stiphout <no.spam.tom7.. .@cox.netwrote:
      On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:10:29 -0700 (PDT), Ty <tyrone_...@yah oo.com>
      wrote:
      >
      Import or (perhaps better) link the Excel file.
      Make a copy of your favorite query that you want to restrict. Open
      that query in design view and add the Excel table to it. Drag a common
      field (perhaps EmployeeID) from the Excel table to the Pers_Table.
      This operation is called "creating an inner join".
      Run the query. It will now restrict.
      >
      -Tom.
      >
      >
      >
      I was given a Excel spreadsheet with Employee names.  I have a large
      database with a Personal Table with Employee names and a whole list of
      other tables that I'm used to running queries.  I'm still new to
      queries.
      >
      I can run queries using the Pers_Table with employees and other
      tables.  How can I import the Excel sheet and use it as the Pers table
      with only the names of the 10 employees listed in the Mainframe export
      of Employees.
      >
      My files:
      Mainframe.xls for 10 mainframe users.
      >
      My tables:
      Auth_id for user id's
      CostCtr for Cost center codes
      >
      How do I run the query to only include the 10 user names in the
      Mainframe.xls?- Hide quoted text -
      >
      - Show quoted text -
      I will have to do a "Inner Join". I will make an attempt.

      Comment

      • Ty

        #4
        Re: Excel User Info

        On Jul 17, 1:06 pm, Ty <tyrone_...@yah oo.comwrote:
        On Jul 16, 10:58 pm, Tom van Stiphout <no.spam.tom7.. .@cox.netwrote:
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:10:29 -0700 (PDT), Ty <tyrone_...@yah oo.com>
        wrote:
        >
        Import or (perhaps better) link the Excel file.
        Make a copy of your favorite query that you want to restrict. Open
        that query in design view and add the Excel table to it. Drag a common
        field (perhaps EmployeeID) from the Excel table to the Pers_Table.
        This operation is called "creating an inner join".
        Run the query. It will now restrict.
        >
        -Tom.
        >
        >I was given a Excel spreadsheet with Employee names.  I have a large
        >database with a Personal Table with Employee names and a whole list of
        >other tables that I'm used to running queries.  I'm still new to
        >queries.
        >
        >I can run queries using the Pers_Table with employees and other
        >tables.  How can I import the Excel sheet and use it as the Pers table
        >with only the names of the 10 employees listed in the Mainframe export
        >of Employees.
        >
        >My files:
        >Mainframe.xl s for 10 mainframe users.
        >
        >My tables:
        >Auth_id for user id's
        >CostCtr for Cost center codes
        >
        >How do I run the query to only include the 10 user names in the
        >Mainframe.xl s?- Hide quoted text -
        >
        - Show quoted text -
        >
        I will have to do a "Inner Join".  I will make an attempt.- Hide quotedtext -
        >
        - Show quoted text -
        Here are my steps:

        1. I imported the Excel spreadsheet.
        2. In Design View I added the new table
        3. connected
        4. Added the Table/Field(No SQL)--I can see the "inner join"
        5. Ran query
        6. Seems like I locked up the database. The query is SLOW.

        Comment

        Working...