Corruption errors in acc 2000 program

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ARC

    #1

    Corruption errors in acc 2000 program

    Hello all,

    I'm trying to help a customer of mine recover data from an access 2000
    program that appears to have corruption. Opening the file will open the
    default / startup form, however, you can't get into the one module that is
    present. They have the module named: Global Module. Double-clicking this
    gives the error: "The module name 'Global Module' is misspelled or refers to
    a module that doesn't exist."

    I ran a repair, and this did not take care of the error.

    I tried converting the program to access 2007, and it does convert without
    error, but you still can't get into the module, nor can you rename the
    module, or copy / paste it to a new mod. (copying/pasting gives the error:
    Name conflicts with existing module, project, or object library).

    Attempting to import the objects into a clean db gives a number of errors
    (all 3 for each form imported):

    * Name conflicts with existing module, project, or object library
    * No Current Record
    * The search key was not found in any record

    Even though I can't import the forms into a clean db (gives the 3 errors
    above for each form), I can open the forms and reports in both design mode
    and view mode.

    I went into the individual forms, and going into the event producedures, it
    appears that all vba source code has been stripped from the program. Which
    seems to point back to the 1st problem I mentioned of trying to get into the
    Global Module.

    Any ideas on this?

    Many thanks,

    Andy

  • Tony Toews [MVP]

    #2
    Re: Corruption errors in acc 2000 program

    "ARC" <PCESoft@PCESof t.invalidwrote:
    >I'm trying to help a customer of mine recover data from an access 2000
    >program that appears to have corruption.
    Thanks for your detailed posting of the problem and your trouble shooting.
    >Attempting to import the objects into a clean db gives a number of errors
    >(all 3 for each form imported):
    >
    >* Name conflicts with existing module, project, or object library
    >* No Current Record
    >* The search key was not found in any record
    Now this is very interesting. I've never read of such behavior before.
    >I went into the individual forms, and going into the event producedures, it
    >appears that all vba source code has been stripped from the program. Which
    >seems to point back to the 1st problem I mentioned of trying to get into the
    >Global Module.
    Corrupt Objects within a Corrupt Microsoft Access MDB


    The little documented SaveAsText and LoadFromText may help if an object is corrupted
    or otherwise behaving weirdly.
    At the debug/immediate window type:
    Application.Sav eAsText acForm,"MyForm" ,"c:\form.tx t
    You can load the file into a new MDB.
    Application.Loa dFromText acForm,"MyForm" ,"c:\from.tx t"

    Sample code at http://www.datastrat.com/Code/DocDatabase.txt for saving all objects
    in an MDB.

    Now what happens in A2000 and newer is that VBA code is stored as a huge blob in a
    single record in a system table. It sure looks like that blob got corrupted. I
    doubt anything will work for you other than possibly a commercial service such as PK
    Solutions.

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
    read the entire thread of messages.
    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at

    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

    Comment

    • ARC

      #3
      Re: Corruption errors in acc 2000 program

      Many thanks, Tony.

      The customer is willing to pay for recovery, and I've probably put 1-2 hours
      in already with no luck. I might have to refer them to PK Solutions.

      I had not thought of looking in the MSys tables to see if there's
      corruption, (even though I've been there a number of times) I had forgotten
      that nice little trick.

      Thanks again, Tony.

      Andy
      "Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@teluspl anet.netwrote in message
      news:tc70549eb1 g0euge6hd8p6121 hfd1a500k@4ax.c om...
      "ARC" <PCESoft@PCESof t.invalidwrote:
      >
      >>I'm trying to help a customer of mine recover data from an access 2000
      >>program that appears to have corruption.
      >
      Thanks for your detailed posting of the problem and your trouble shooting.
      >
      >>Attempting to import the objects into a clean db gives a number of errors
      >>(all 3 for each form imported):
      >>
      >>* Name conflicts with existing module, project, or object library
      >>* No Current Record
      >>* The search key was not found in any record
      >
      Now this is very interesting. I've never read of such behavior before.
      >
      >>I went into the individual forms, and going into the event producedures,
      >>it
      >>appears that all vba source code has been stripped from the program. Which
      >>seems to point back to the 1st problem I mentioned of trying to get into
      >>the
      >>Global Module.
      >
      Corrupt Objects within a Corrupt Microsoft Access MDB

      >
      The little documented SaveAsText and LoadFromText may help if an object is
      corrupted
      or otherwise behaving weirdly.
      At the debug/immediate window type:
      Application.Sav eAsText acForm,"MyForm" ,"c:\form.tx t
      You can load the file into a new MDB.
      Application.Loa dFromText acForm,"MyForm" ,"c:\from.tx t"
      >
      Sample code at http://www.datastrat.com/Code/DocDatabase.txt for saving
      all objects
      in an MDB.
      >
      Now what happens in A2000 and newer is that VBA code is stored as a huge
      blob in a
      single record in a system table. It sure looks like that blob got
      corrupted. I
      doubt anything will work for you other than possibly a commercial service
      such as PK
      Solutions.
      >
      Tony
      --
      Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
      Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
      read the entire thread of messages.
      Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at

      Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

      Comment

      • Alan

        #4
        Re: Corruption errors in acc 2000 program

        On Jun 12, 3:01 am, "ARC" <PCES...@PCESof t.invalidwrote:
        Many thanks, Tony.
        >
        The customer is willing to pay for recovery, and I've probably put 1-2 hours
        in already with no luck. I might have to refer them to PK Solutions.
        >
        I had not thought of looking in the MSys tables to see if there's
        corruption, (even though I've been there a number of times) I had forgotten
        that nice little trick.
        >
        Thanks again, Tony.
        >
        Andy
        "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...@teluspl anet.netwrote in messagenews:tc7 0549eb1g0euge6h d8p6121hfd1a500 k@4ax.com...
        >
        >
        >
        "ARC" <PCES...@PCESof t.invalidwrote:
        >
        >I'm trying to help a customer of mine recover data from an access 2000
        >program that appears to have corruption.
        >
        Thanks for your detailed posting of the problem and your trouble shooting.
        >
        >Attempting to import the objects into a clean db gives a number of errors
        >(all 3 for each form imported):
        >
        >* Name conflicts with existing module, project, or object library
        >* No Current Record
        >* The search key was not found in any record
        >
        Now this is very interesting.  I've never read of such behavior before.
        >
        >I went into the individual forms, and going into the event producedures,
        >it
        >appears that all vba source code has been stripped from the program. Which
        >seems to point back to the 1st problem I mentioned of trying to get into
        >the
        >Global Module.
        >
        CorruptObjects within aCorruptMicroso ft AccessMDB
        http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corr...uptobjects.htm
        >
        The little documented SaveAsText and LoadFromText may help if an objectis
        corrupted
        or otherwise behaving weirdly.
        At the debug/immediate window type:
        Application.Sav eAsText acForm,"MyForm" ,"c:\form.tx t
        You can load the file into a newMDB.
        Application.Loa dFromText acForm,"MyForm" ,"c:\from.tx t"
        >
        Sample code athttp://www.datastrat.c om/Code/DocDatabase.txt for saving
        all objects
        in anMDB.
        >
        Now what happens in A2000 and newer is that VBA code is stored as a huge
        blob in a
        single record in a system table.  It sure looks like that blob got
        corrupted.   I
        doubt anything will work for you other than possibly a commercial service
        such as PK
        Solutions.
        >
        Tony
        --
        Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
          Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
        read the entire thread of messages.
          Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at

          Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/- Hidequoted text -
        >
        - Show quoted text -
        You can create a new, empty database. Go to File menu-Get External
        Data-Import. Now you can import every valid table. This will give
        you a clean set of systems tables; If this doesn't work, you may try
        some software. You can try a utility called Advanced Access Repair to
        repair your Access MDB file. It works rather well for my corrupt
        Access MDB files. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/aar/
        Hope this helps.

        Comment

        • Tony Toews [MVP]

          #5
          Re: Corruption errors in acc 2000 program

          Alan <fyz@datanumen. netwrote:
          >; If this doesn't work, you may try
          >some software. You can try a utility called Advanced Access Repair to
          >repair your Access MDB file. It works rather well for my corrupt
          >Access MDB files. Its web address is <snipp>
          >Hope this helps.
          You also work for that company. Posting without disclosing any
          connection is highly unethical and sleazy.

          Tony
          --
          Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
          Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
          read the entire thread of messages.
          Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at

          Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

          Comment

          Working...