Dual language problem, Asian scripts

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Lysander
    Recognized Expert Contributor
    • Apr 2007
    • 344

    #1

    Dual language problem, Asian scripts

    I have several databases running in multiple languages, translating from English to French to Portuguese etc. This was no problem.

    I now have to write a system that can switch between English and Telugu (If you don't know Telugu, think Arabic or Thai)

    Windows XP supports Telugu but when I choose the Telugu language, everything on my keyboard is Telugu. Saving a file in notepad and then opening it in English just gives those little squares.

    What I need to be able to do is display text on forms and reports in a mixture of Telugu and English, swapping between the two at the users request.

    I am not asking how to translate, that is sorted. What I can't sort is how to display both character sets on the same form at the same time.

    Anybody out there done work on Asian systems and can give me a pointer in the right direction.

    If we can't solve this, its a show-stopper
  • MMcCarthy
    Recognized Expert MVP
    • Aug 2006
    • 14387

    #2
    Originally posted by Lysander
    I have several databases running in multiple languages, translating from English to French to Portuguese etc. This was no problem.

    I now have to write a system that can switch between English and Telugu (If you don't know Telugu, think Arabic or Thai)

    Windows XP supports Telugu but when I choose the Telugu language, everything on my keyboard is Telugu. Saving a file in notepad and then opening it in English just gives those little squares.

    What I need to be able to do is display text on forms and reports in a mixture of Telugu and English, swapping between the two at the users request.

    I am not asking how to translate, that is sorted. What I can't sort is how to display both character sets on the same form at the same time.

    Anybody out there done work on Asian systems and can give me a pointer in the right direction.

    If we can't solve this, its a show-stopper
    Try using subforms. It may allow you to use two different character sets.

    Comment

    • Lysander
      Recognized Expert Contributor
      • Apr 2007
      • 344

      #3
      Originally posted by mmccarthy
      Try using subforms. It may allow you to use two different character sets.
      I can't do this under w2k at all. Under XP, having installed the Asian language blocks, I can create a table with 2 text fields and type English in one field and Telugu in the other, but I have to go down to the windows toolbar and change Language setting each time.

      What I need is a way to change language setting in VBA code. This must be a windows api call, which I guess means declaring a library or something. Does anyone know how to change the language setting in code?

      Comment

      • MMcCarthy
        Recognized Expert MVP
        • Aug 2006
        • 14387

        #4
        Originally posted by Lysander
        I can't do this under w2k at all. Under XP, having installed the Asian language blocks, I can create a table with 2 text fields and type English in one field and Telugu in the other, but I have to go down to the windows toolbar and change Language setting each time.

        What I need is a way to change language setting in VBA code. This must be a windows api call, which I guess means declaring a library or something. Does anyone know how to change the language setting in code?
        ADezii's the best man for API calls. I'll send him a PM asking him to have a look at this.

        Comment

        • Lysander
          Recognized Expert Contributor
          • Apr 2007
          • 344

          #5
          Originally posted by mmccarthy
          ADezii's the best man for API calls. I'll send him a PM asking him to have a look at this.
          Thanks Mary,

          I have found plenty of help about reading the LanguageID but everything I find tells me these are readonly properties, you can't set the LanguageID in code.

          Hope ADezii knows a solution, I have a very worried collegue in India who is going into panic mode over this.

          Comment

          • MMcCarthy
            Recognized Expert MVP
            • Aug 2006
            • 14387

            #6
            Originally posted by Lysander
            Thanks Mary,

            I have found plenty of help about reading the LanguageID but everything I find tells me these are readonly properties, you can't set the LanguageID in code.

            Hope ADezii knows a solution, I have a very worried collegue in India who is going into panic mode over this.
            He's not online at the moment but I'm sure he'll get to this as soon as he is.

            Comment

            • ADezii
              Recognized Expert Expert
              • Apr 2006
              • 8834

              #7
              Originally posted by Lysander
              Thanks Mary,

              I have found plenty of help about reading the LanguageID but everything I find tells me these are readonly properties, you can't set the LanguageID in code.

              Hope ADezii knows a solution, I have a very worried collegue in India who is going into panic mode over this.
              I'm on it as we speak, but as of yet have not come up with a viable solution. It seems as though I can retrieve the language version that Access is running but not set it. I won't give up. You can also set a Reference to Microsoft Office and accesss the LanguageSetting s Object but it is a Read-Only interface.

              Comment

              • MMcCarthy
                Recognized Expert MVP
                • Aug 2006
                • 14387

                #8
                Originally posted by ADezii
                I'm on it as we speak, but as of yet have not come up with a viable solution. It seems as though I can retrieve the language version that Access is running but not set it. I won't give up.
                Thanks ADezii.

                I appreciate you looking at this.

                Comment

                • ADezii
                  Recognized Expert Expert
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 8834

                  #9
                  Originally posted by mmccarthy
                  Thanks ADezii.

                  I appreciate you looking at this.
                  This is really a tough nut to crack but I won't give up.

                  Comment

                  • Lysander
                    Recognized Expert Contributor
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 344

                    #10
                    Originally posted by ADezii
                    I'm on it as we speak, but as of yet have not come up with a viable solution. It seems as though I can retrieve the language version that Access is running but not set it. I won't give up. You can also set a Reference to Microsoft Office and accesss the LanguageSetting s Object but it is a Read-Only interface.
                    Thanks for looking into this ADezii. I got as far the LanguageSetting s Object but no futher. I did find some stuff on the web about setting LanguageId but that was in some weird code, and was not an api call but an Application setting for that code. At the moment I am having the user change language settings by hand when they go into certain fields but there must be a code to do this. Thanks again for your time

                    Comment

                    • ADezii
                      Recognized Expert Expert
                      • Apr 2006
                      • 8834

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Lysander
                      Thanks for looking into this ADezii. I got as far the LanguageSetting s Object but no futher. I did find some stuff on the web about setting LanguageId but that was in some weird code, and was not an api call but an Application setting for that code. At the moment I am having the user change language settings by hand when they go into certain fields but there must be a code to do this. Thanks again for your time
                      You're quite welcome. I may have made some headway, try referencing the SetThreadLocale () API Function. Good Luck!

                      Comment

                      • Lysander
                        Recognized Expert Contributor
                        • Apr 2007
                        • 344

                        #12
                        Originally posted by ADezii
                        You're quite welcome. I may have made some headway, try referencing the SetThreadLocale () API Function. Good Luck!
                        Thanks ADezil (and all others who helped)

                        I tried searching on this and found only C++ calls, could not work out how to access it in VBA. However, it has now become academic as I have found out then when typing in Telugu, the text size is minute and all the font sizes have to be changed as well as the actual text. The consenus now is that we will have 2 copies of every form and report, one in english, one in telugu. Still, it was a nice concept, I'll keep looking for a solution.

                        Comment

                        Working...