tables in Access

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Nashwa24
    New Member
    • May 2007
    • 4

    #1

    tables in Access

    Hi all,
    I'm a newbie in Access and really need help.
    I need to do some calculations on data stored in a database's table.
    Previously I used to store the data in an excel sheet and run a visual basic macro on them which made some calculations and added new columns for the results in the excel sheet. I could select a specific cell and use its value in calculations or compare it with other cell of the excel sheet.
    Is there a way to do the same with Access tables instead of excel sheets??? Or should I export the table to an excel sheet, do the calculations using a macro and then import it again???

    Please I need help urgently
  • ChaseCox
    Contributor
    • Nov 2006
    • 293

    #2
    What are you wanting to do? Depending on the complexity it could go either way.

    Comment

    • Nashwa24
      New Member
      • May 2007
      • 4

      #3
      Originally posted by ChaseCox
      What are you wanting to do? Depending on the complexity it could go either way.
      Dear ChaseCox,

      thanks for replying ...
      about what i need to do is first compare the values of a certain field in each two consecutive records, and depending on the result I'd need to add a new field to one of these records involved in comparison ...

      thanks again.

      Comment

      • NeoPa
        Recognized Expert Moderator MVP
        • Oct 2006
        • 32669

        #4
        Then you don't want to use Access.
        As an RDBMS it has no concept of 'consecutive' records (except in the VBA code). Access treats them simply as records.
        Creating columns is not straightforward in Access either, as it is in Excel.
        There are limits to Excels records (65,536 to date), but it seems better suited from what you've told us so far.

        Comment

        Working...