Access 2000 ADP project

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Mo

    #1

    Access 2000 ADP project

    Hello all,

    I'm trying to set up an access 2000 .adp project connecting to a SQL
    server 2005 database. I can set up the connection ok, but once I have
    completed the setup process, I get the following error messages if I try
    to create any new database objects:

    If I try to create a new object (a view or table etc), Access tells me
    that I:

    'do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. Your changes
    will not be saved.'

    If it's a view, I then get the following message (even though I'm using
    SQL server 2005):

    'The Visual Database Tools within Visual Studio 6 and Access 2000 do not
    support some new features of SQL Server 2000. Because you are
    manipulating an object in a SQL Server 2000 database, some operations
    will be unavailable to you. In rare cases, you might not be able to save
    the database object you modified. In other cases, you will be able to
    save the object, but its previously existing settings for features new
    to SQL Server 2000 will be lost. In most of these cases, you will be
    warned if the Save operation will eliminate existing settings or
    property values.

    For a complete description of the interaction between SQL Server 2000
    and Visual Database Tools within Visual Studio 6 or Access 2000, see
    Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q266277, "Using Visual Studio 6 and
    Access 2000 Visual Database Tools with SQL Server 2000." Knowledge Base
    articles are available in the MSDN Library Visual Studio documentation
    or at http://support.microso ft.com/support/.'

    Finally, I get the following error.

    'You are connected to a version of sql server newer than sql server
    2000. save will be disabled'

    Obviously I want to be able to create and save new objects.

    Can anyone help? I've sone some searches on the MS support site, but
    have not found anything that appears to be relevant.

    Thanks,

    Mo
  • Lyle Fairfield

    #2
    Re: Access 2000 ADP project

    Mo <99m.a.joomun@9 9qmul.ac.ukwrot e in news:er4d6i$h3t $1@qmul:
    Hello all,
    >
    I'm trying to set up an access 2000 .adp project connecting to a SQL
    server 2005 database. I can set up the connection ok, but once I have
    completed the setup process, I get the following error messages if I try
    to create any new database objects:
    >
    If I try to create a new object (a view or table etc), Access tells me
    that I:
    >
    'do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. Your changes
    will not be saved.'
    >
    If it's a view, I then get the following message (even though I'm using
    SQL server 2005):
    >
    'The Visual Database Tools within Visual Studio 6 and Access 2000 do not
    support some new features of SQL Server 2000. Because you are
    manipulating an object in a SQL Server 2000 database, some operations
    will be unavailable to you. In rare cases, you might not be able to save
    the database object you modified. In other cases, you will be able to
    save the object, but its previously existing settings for features new
    to SQL Server 2000 will be lost. In most of these cases, you will be
    warned if the Save operation will eliminate existing settings or
    property values.
    >
    For a complete descriptiloadon of the interaction between SQL Server 2000
    and Visual Database Tools within Visual Studio 6 or Access 2000, see
    Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q266277, "Using Visual Studio 6 and
    Access 2000 Visual Database Tools with SQL Server 2000." Knowledge Base
    articles are available in the MSDN Library Visual Studio documentation
    or at http://support.microso ft.com/support/.'
    >
    Finally, I get the following error.
    >
    'You are connected to a version of sql server newer than sql server
    2000. save will be disabled'
    >
    Obviously I want to be able to create and save new objects.
    >
    Can anyone help? I've sone some searches on the MS support site, but
    have not found anything that appears to be relevant.
    >
    Thanks,
    >
    Mo
    >
    You could go to
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/
    and download
    SQL Server Management Studio Express

    TTBOMK this utility allows for the management of any recent version of SQL
    Server, including 2000.

    The interface is many times better than Access's.

    I believe the objects you create in SSMSEE are entirely usable by Access,
    but may not be visibile in the database window you expect.

    Comment

    • Mo

      #3
      Re: Access 2000 ADP project

      You could go to
      http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/
      and download
      SQL Server Management Studio Express
      >
      TTBOMK this utility allows for the management of any recent version of SQL
      Server, including 2000.
      >
      The interface is many times better than Access's.
      >
      I believe the objects you create in SSMSEE are entirely usable by Access,
      but may not be visibile in the database window you expect.
      Thanks for the reply Lyle, but I'm afraid the solution has to be an
      Access one.

      Any other ideas?



      Comment

      • Larry Linson

        #4
        Re: Access 2000 ADP project

        "Mo" wrote
        Thanks for the reply Lyle, but I'm afraid the
        solution has to be an Access one.
        Just an aside, as it always interests me when someone says "has to be" --
        makes me wonder why it "has to be". I've run into very few situations
        where, absent some physical reason (e.g., someone has suggested a solution
        not supported by the software), a "has to be" was not an edict by some
        autocratic manager who didn't know what they were about.

        Of course, if that autocratic manager controls your continued employment, or
        the size of your next raise, it could be unwise to argue -- but it's likely
        the kind of situation that might better be dealt with by someone else, after
        you have moved on to a different, better job or contract. You'll always
        have a better chance at success where you are allowed to "do it right"
        instead of "how the manager dictates".

        So, can you tell us why " the solution has to be an Access one"? If you
        can't, we will understand (and have a pretty good idea of what the situation
        is, for that matter).

        Larry


        Comment

        • Lyle Fairfield

          #5
          Re: Access 2000 ADP project

          On Feb 16, 10:17 am, Mo <99m.a.joo...@9 9qmul.ac.ukwrot e:
          You could go to
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/
          and download
          SQL Server Management Studio Express
          >
          TTBOMK this utility allows for the management of any recent version of SQL
          Server, including 2000.
          >
          The interface is many times better than Access's.
          >
          I believe the objects you create in SSMSEE are entirely usable by Access,
          but may not be visibile in the database window you expect.
          >
          Thanks for the reply Lyle, but I'm afraid the solution has to be an
          Access one.
          >
          Any other ideas?
          You might:

          1. re-read my original reply;
          2. create all your objects using CurrentProject. Connection, SQL
          strings and VBA;
          3. upgrade to Access 2003;
          4. hire a professional;
          5. give up.


          Comment

          • Tom van Stiphout

            #6
            Re: Access 2000 ADP project

            On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:17:29 +0000, Mo <99m.a.joomun@9 9qmul.ac.uk>
            wrote:

            You probably misunderstood Lyle, suggestion: we're not saying you
            should build your solution using Sql Server 2005 Management Studio,
            but you should administer your database in it, including creating the
            views.
            Access 2000 ADP is not forward compatible with SQL Server 2005, nor
            should you expect it to.

            -Tom.


            <clip>
            >
            >Thanks for the reply Lyle, but I'm afraid the solution has to be an
            >Access one.
            >
            >Any other ideas?
            >
            >

            Comment

            Working...