Pages property problem

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Zippy

    #1

    Pages property problem

    I have a report which has a list of products, with a total page count.
    Due to layout concerns, the client wants to be able to adjust how many
    products are printed on a page.

    What I do, is keep a count of products and force a page break when the
    total no of products per page is reached. (It is a very messy business.
    I have been trying unsuccessfully to convince them to change the layout
    to avoid this need).

    The problem now is that the total number of pages does not adjust itself
    and they get 'Page 14 of 13', etc.

    I know that Access does a pre-run to count the total pages. Then I come
    and add in page breaks, which increases the number of pages, so I can
    understand why this is happening. However, this report has been up and
    running for over a year, and until now they haven't had this problem,
    though this *may* be because they had only printed shorter lists and the
    page adjustments didn't actually change the total number of pages.

    Does anyone know have any idea why this is happening, and what I can do?
    (Client is frantic as they say they have to urgently print and send off
    the report.).

    Thank you.
    --
    Zippy S
  • Zippy

    #2
    Re: Pages property problem

    Forgot to add: I'm working in A97, if that makes a difference.
    Thanks.
    --
    Zippy S

    Comment

    • Marshall Barton

      #3
      Re: Pages property problem

      Zippy wrote:
      >I have a report which has a list of products, with a total page count.
      >Due to layout concerns, the client wants to be able to adjust how many
      >products are printed on a page.
      >
      >What I do, is keep a count of products and force a page break when the
      >total no of products per page is reached. (It is a very messy business.
      >I have been trying unsuccessfully to convince them to change the layout
      >to avoid this need).
      >
      >The problem now is that the total number of pages does not adjust itself
      >and they get 'Page 14 of 13', etc.
      >
      >I know that Access does a pre-run to count the total pages. Then I come
      >and add in page breaks, which increases the number of pages, so I can
      >understand why this is happening. However, this report has been up and
      >running for over a year, and until now they haven't had this problem,
      >though this *may* be because they had only printed shorter lists and the
      >page adjustments didn't actually change the total number of pages.
      >
      >Does anyone know have any idea why this is happening, and what I can do?
      >(Client is frantic as they say they have to urgently print and send off
      >the report.).

      If you want to print N details per page and that many
      details are guaranteed to fit on a page, then use a
      RunningSum text box (expression =1, RunningSum Over All) to
      number the details. Then a Page Break control at the bottom
      of the detail section can do the job:
      Me.pgBreak.Visi ble = (txtDetailCount Mod N = 0)

      If the details can grow so you can not guarantee N will fit
      on a page, then you need to use a running total of the
      detail count printed prior to the current page
      (ala http://support.microsoft.com/kb/132017/en-us)
      so you can determine when to make the page break control
      visible:
      Me.pgBreak.Visi ble = (txtDetailCount - pgfootertotal >= 3)

      --
      Marsh

      Comment

      • Tom

        #4
        Re: Pages property problem

        On Feb 8, 3:33 am, Zippy <Zipp...@thedes sers.comwrote:
        I have a report which has a list of products, with a total page count.
        Due to layout concerns, the client wants to be able to adjust how many
        products are printed on a page.
        >
        What I do, is keep a count of products and force a page break when the
        total no of products per page is reached. (It is a very messy business.
        I have been trying unsuccessfully to convince them to change the layout
        to avoid this need).
        >
        The problem now is that the total number of pages does not adjust itself
        and they get 'Page 14 of 13', etc.
        >
        I know that Access does a pre-run to count the total pages. Then I come
        and add in page breaks, which increases the number of pages, so I can
        understand why this is happening. However, this report has been up and
        running for over a year, and until now they haven't had this problem,
        though this *may* be because they had only printed shorter lists and the
        page adjustments didn't actually change the total number of pages.
        >
        Does anyone know have any idea why this is happening, and what I can do?
        (Client is frantic as they say they have to urgently print and send off
        the report.).
        >
        Thank you.
        --
        Zippy S
        Zippy:
        One solution is to avoid the entire problem and just delete the "of
        13" part...

        Tom

        Comment

        Working...