Database splitter or Upsizing wizard?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jin

    #1

    Database splitter or Upsizing wizard?

    Hello, every one:

    If I want to move tables from Access 2003 to Back-end SQL Server,
    should I use Dababase splitter or upsizing wizard? or just import
    tables?

    Thanks for your help.

  • jbguernsey@aol.com

    #2
    Re: Database splitter or Upsizing wizard?


    Jin wrote:
    Hello, every one:
    >
    If I want to move tables from Access 2003 to Back-end SQL Server,
    should I use Dababase splitter or upsizing wizard? or just import
    tables?
    >
    Thanks for your help.
    Jin

    I have used the upsizing wizard with complete success. The only
    proviso is to ensure that all your tables have primary keys set (which
    they likely will) before you upsize. The application I was dealing
    with was originally Access XP FE and BE and for business policy reasons
    the BE had to be ported over to SQL Server. I was pleasantly surprised
    when it all went v. smoothly and has worked now for months without a
    problem. I did spend a fair bit of time, however, before the upgrade,
    re-writing DAO code to SQL in order to speed-up some of the processes
    (e.g changing .AddNew stuff to INSERT INTO stuff). You can try your
    application before re-writing; it should still work and you'll quickly
    see if it needs 'tweaking'.

    HTH

    Jeff Bailey

    Comment

    • Jin

      #3
      Re: Database splitter or Upsizing wizard?

      Jeff, Thanks for your information.

      jbguernsey@aol. com wrote:
      Jin wrote:
      Hello, every one:

      If I want to move tables from Access 2003 to Back-end SQL Server,
      should I use Dababase splitter or upsizing wizard? or just import
      tables?

      Thanks for your help.
      >
      Jin
      >
      I have used the upsizing wizard with complete success. The only
      proviso is to ensure that all your tables have primary keys set (which
      they likely will) before you upsize. The application I was dealing
      with was originally Access XP FE and BE and for business policy reasons
      the BE had to be ported over to SQL Server. I was pleasantly surprised
      when it all went v. smoothly and has worked now for months without a
      problem. I did spend a fair bit of time, however, before the upgrade,
      re-writing DAO code to SQL in order to speed-up some of the processes
      (e.g changing .AddNew stuff to INSERT INTO stuff). You can try your
      application before re-writing; it should still work and you'll quickly
      see if it needs 'tweaking'.
      >
      HTH
      >
      Jeff Bailey

      Comment

      • Lyle Fairfield

        #4
        Re: Database splitter or Upsizing wizard?

        Jin wrote:
        Hello, every one:
        >
        If I want to move tables from Access 2003 to Back-end SQL Server,
        should I use Dababase splitter or upsizing wizard? or just import
        tables?
        >
        Thanks for your help.
        I import the tables. Then I use the database diagram facility to modify
        each table, index and relationship appropriately.
        I rewrite every saved query as a view, stored procedure, udf or
        whatever. In some cases I may transfer SQL strings used in code in a
        similar way.
        Views can be indexed but they are, IMO, more limited than SELECT stored
        procedures. I tend to use SELECT stored procedures to the exclusion of
        views.
        I do not want to pay in money and time for an SQL database and end up
        with a JET/Access database living in an SQL Server.
        After I have a real SQL-Database I can do whatever I want with it, and
        use Access as a front-end or NOT. Lately it's been NOT.

        Comment

        Working...